Dispose of unwanted fish in trash? World issues solved here!

GrahamC

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or would this person even be typing this post or even alive?

I've had many moments where if I'd been a second earlier or later (perhaps I stopped to pat the cat or forgot my keys) I would have been dead. Just little moments where life could be taken so quickly and easily that I've avoided meaning I'm here to type today. Maybe next time I won't be so lucky.

Sweet, I learned something on a Sunday 8) Prior to this, everything I've ever been taught about mammalian reproduction has indicated that the first sperm is the winner. I would also add that despite not being the first, that's not the point I was making but there's no point trying cause this is the nitpicking and arguing thread :roll:

when I was in Townsville a woman was decapitated by a mower shooting out a small steel pipe..... less than 1/10 of a second either way and she would just have crapped herself.... 10 seconds earlier and it would have been my bartender.

randomness is what makes it all fun... and annoying as hell

Infinite is an interesting concept. I was in Maths one day we were doing graphing and the teacher said something about infinite. So my mate turns round and says infinite plus one. That gets the mind going. Like if it is forever growing, what if it was that slightest bit further ect. And there is an infinite amount of numbers, and an infinite amount of numbers between 1 and 2. We ponder so many things haha

Ok a theoretical question then, if I am in a train travelling at the speed of light, and I take a step forward, what happens? Clearly an "impossible" situation because the mass of the train would become infinite and things would become different.

Ok a theoretical question then, if I am in a train travelling at the speed of light, and I take a step forward, what happens? Clearly an "impossible" situation because the mass of the train would become infinite and things would become different.

Have to be a very small train and a lot of energy to even get close to the speed of light.

theoretically you would have to be converted into energy to approach the speed of light.... therefore making the possibility of stepping forward a moot point as you have already been torn down on a subatomic level.

high speed travel will more likely take on the form of space folding, or tearing.... I did enjoy "event horizon" for the problem with the tearing solution.

but then again, if you go down the subatomic road far enough you will ind that matter is very likely to be just compressed energy waves, if you could expand those waves......

mag-lev perhaps? certainly wouldn't happen on the track we have up here, we're lucky to get much over 50!

I think the improvements in technology are slowing down, and it is becoming more of a refining process than actually inventing new stuff. As someone was saying about the computers, a home PC was a huge deal when I was young, and still remember our Apple IIc, complete with green screen and two 5.25" floppy drives (no hard drive) and PacMan being amazing! Now I have a computer in my pocket [HTC Desire] that is far more powerful, but it still just based on improvements to that technology. My gradfather once said he was pleased to have been born in an era when train and horse were still the main form of transport (cars were just starting to become popular/available) and had lived to see an age where man had walked on the moon (or did we?)....

its because of research funding issues, no one is gonna pay $$$ for someone to work out something new when they can put those same $$$ into refining something that they can get money back out of....

hence a rather corrupted research field. although there is some interesting developments happening in biological computing.

the other thing is that we get most of out information out of mainstream media which to be honest is too stupid to even understand half of the crap it reports on (please remember the hype surrounding the Large Hadron Collider) there are hundreds and thousands of discoveries made that are FAR FAR beyond what the average person could even comprehend. one brilliant example is there is a quantum particle that requires 36 rotations on a single axis to return to the same point.

I think the main problem is that we are too lazy to hunt up the really cool stuff anymore (google is destroying our society :P:P )

(please remember the hype surrounding the Large Hadron Collider)

There was a remote possiblity a black hole would be created that would destroy earth .... we've been lucky so far, otherwise I wouldn't be typing this. In an alternate quantum reality there's nothing anymore orbiting our sun at 1 AU.

hahahahahaha.... that "possibility" came from a random interview with a newspaper journalist that couldn't understand exactly why they wanted to do it.... I think the scientist said that instead of shaking him and asking "dear god why are you so stoooopid" black hole is about as afar as the average joe understands about quantum physics... even then all they think of is something that sucks

Actually if were all sucked into a black hole, we might not notice anything .. except the stars would be moving very fast as for us time would stop relative to the outside universe! Oh yeah, and the moon might have returned to the pacific causing a few waves.

If you are on that train, you would also be traveling at the speed of light, so it wouldn't matter where you walked, unless you walked off the train, (I'm guessing off the side rather than off the front (SQUISH)), in which case you would begin to slow down VERY fast.

Speed of light = 299 792 458 ms-1

I'm sure there are things that COULD go faster, we just cannot observe or record them yet.