Any suggestions for whiplash?

Caper

Ortho = straight paedics = to do with children

Orthopaedics is the medical specialty to do with realigning bones.

yes, well aware of that as i spent 3 months in the orthopaedic ward in whangarei hospital.

wouldn't a chiropractor be the better option for a back or neck that may need re-aligning?

Chiropractic care is primarily aimed at the detection and correction of abnormal spinal movement and position

I suggest being quite careful/gentle if you get massage; sometimes it can make it worse and especially gotta watch out not to damage the tiny blood vessels (which, in worst case scenario, can lead to stroke).

I've not had whiplash myself but hearing other's stories is enough.

And, follow the advice of your physiotherapist (rather than chiropractor because it is likely a tissue problem, not a bone alignment problem); I think they would know best :-)

i think it's the best option in this case if the spine needs re-aligning as a ortho surgeon is unlikely to realign you.

With my experience of broken bones, sore backs and pulled muscles for a neck injury like that i would first go to a chiro to try to ensure the bones are aligned then get the area massaged to sort out the muscles. But that is just what i would do.

And, follow the advice of your physiotherapist (rather than chiropractor because it is likely a tissue problem, not a bone alignment problem); I think they would know best :-)

my honest opinion from being a patient of them is that both a chiro and physio's are a waste of time in most cases. I have had by far the best and almost instant results from a massage therapist. I started getting massages for injuries only 5 or so years ago after it was recommended to me and i really wish i had of many years ago.

I pulled some muscles in my back and went to a chiro who said he would sort it, failed and after a couple of weeks i gave up on him. Then onto a physio for hamstring strecthes, heat packs etc for three weeks and no real improvement and was still walking around like i was 90 years old. That's when i was recommended the massage so i gave it a go and i felt great straight after the treatment, still tender but nearly right. A matter of two or three days later i was back to normal but i wasted 5 weeks with the chiro and physio unfortunately.

I've had a lot of success with the chiropractor so I am on the side of recommending them. They can be extremely gentle.

The key to ongoing spinal health is to keep moving, drinking your 8 glasses of water a day, and to be nice to yourself and not to get in any more car accidents.

But seriously, the more you can move about when your spine is healing, the better. Gentle swimming, floor exercises that are not too strenuous are all good things to do. A gentle massage would be good but I believe that the muscles can only get as good as the bones they are attached to. If the bones are out of alignment then a massage will rarely be a long term fix.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all :hail::hail:

I'm presently going to physio as per directed by the insurance company. The heat feels good while on and I am moving better; however still having lots of pain :x

This by far is the most frustrating thing I've experienced (even tops my divorce :facepalm: ). Between the pain and the insurance company, I've just about lost what little mind I had.

Thanks again,

Caper

have you looked into the bowen tecnique? worked for my muscles in my back. really weird when you've never had it before

Hello, I just noticed this post; the bowen technique is very bad for necks so I would not recommend that one.

Sorry Scarletmonka, I hope not to offend you.