Fish Food Importation discussion

smidey

I must say that my LFS is quite good at matching the prices of HFF on most things, and have stocked food after I have inquired about availability.

I still think that only $25 more for a bucket is not too bad a difference in price when it includes NZ tax, also note that many US on-line stores add tax at the checkout as they have differing tax rates for in state and out of state sales

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think that only $25 more for a bucket is not too bad a difference in price when it includes NZ tax, also note that many US on-line stores add tax at the checkout as they have differing tax rates for in state and out of state sales

for anyone outside auckland it's $40 if you order one bucket, around $110 if you order two. And that's with paying a massive amount for freight.

I would just like to add to this discussion that beause I have been able to buy some of my gear and food overseas much cheaper than I would have been able to here it has allowed me to expand my hobby to more and bigger tanks than if I'd had to buy everything locally.

This in turn means that I have probably bought more fish and other non importable things locally because I was able to save on food and gear.

I would just like to add to this discussion that beause I have been able to buy some of my gear and food overseas much cheaper than I would have been able to here it has allowed me to expand my hobby to more and bigger tanks than if I'd had to buy everything locally.

This in turn means that I have probably bought more fish and other non importable things locally because I was able to save on food and gear.

And if everyone did this, the price of fish would have to go up, to cover revenue lost from stock not selling.

A very rough example:

without importing: buying 30 fish locally at $10 each, and equipment locally at $400. Total: $700

with importing, after a few years of no local equipment or food sales: buying 30 fish locally at $20 each, and equipment imported at $350. Total: $950.

This is where I see the current import action taking us. My figures are only examples, but you get the idea.

Most importers will take the cost of the fish, freight, fees and testing regime then add 100% and the retailers do the same so your $1 fish in Singapore goes up in price pretty quickly. We are however dealing with perishable goods and a now potentially expensive testing regime for diseases so I can't see the price of fish coming down but more likely going up. Equipment is another issue. I think most pet shops survive on food and equipment for cats and dogs---a lot of which I would suspect is made locally.

price drop was fairly recent. when it was $200 a bucket there were people selling for $150 a bucket on trademe. now it's $156 at hollywoods (and you can get a further discount with fnzas membership). in my mind, if your in the auckland area and not paying for shipping it makes sense to buy it from hollywoods. it's only an extra $25 a bucket and there's no risk of anything going wrong with delivery (yes it's rare but stuff does happen).

can it not work the other way with retailers thinking hmmm i need to reduce my prices to make sales...

many are only just breaking even as it is, and to be honest dropping the price will not increase the sales enough to justify it, many prices on trademe etc.... are a lot higher than in your LFS anyways yet people still will pay it.

I take it you have never bought anything off trademe or secondhand for that matter then Sheepsnana?

Yes I have bought second hand equipment, but if I'm going to buy it new, I consider local shops before imports. I had the option of getting my canister filter from HFF for $139 or buying it from my local store for $189. I spoke to the local store, they said they simply couldn't match it, so I bought it from the local store anyway.

I buy local fish off TM as well as from the pet store. If we were to only use TM and trade between ourselves, there would be no new genes coming in :roey:

i see a few other who sell with no physical shop

listings look like a copy of a wholesalers list

I have heard the wholesalers may be changing their policies soon to prevent this.

I also know of a particular shop selling tanks that has a seperate account for every region in NZ and just rings the wholesalers with the orders taking advantage of their free delivery service so they don't have to waste shelf space.

I have heard the wholesalers may be changing their policies soon to prevent this.

that is one i have heard before

I also know of a particular shop selling tanks that has a seperate account for every region in NZ and just rings the wholesalers with the orders taking advantage of their free delivery service so they don't have to waste shelf space.

smart shop

that is one i have heard before

Rep claims that due to pressure from retailers they are going to change their pricing structure to fix the problem sometime before the end of October, won't be holding my breath too much though