World Cup Fever

mcrudd

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so many anti rugby posts. what a shame. we are about to hold a worldclass event (our national sport no less). you may not be into rugby, but surely you can appreciate that it has resulted in improvements to our major cities (sadly not christchurch, but you'll be back and better than ever), a boost in tourism and global awareness of how amazing nz is. ultimately we will gain from the event. as for claims rugby is a sport we aren't that good at, we are ranked 1st in the world, that means we are good at it. if you're into it, get loud and have a blast, if not do something else. no need to bag it.

Gonna head into town for a mean night out!!! Biggest fireworks display NZ has had, will be fun :)

Its up to you if you buy the All Blacks Nappies or the overpriced merchandise which I know I will not be buying, but its still good to appreciate that a small island nation can hold such an event, it doesn't happen often. Also it's not only important to kiwis, this is the closest the smaller island nations can get to having a home event! See how into it the Tongans are lol, 7000 greeted their team at the airport! I reckon thats awesome.

meh, its all personal choice lol, dont have to be into rugby a lot (me) to enjoy it.

offically over it! every day we've had to see rugby this rugby that....argh!! and now its on TV ALL THE TIME, on 2, yes 2 channels (if you dont have sky).....i want to watch other things, life doesnt revolve around rubgy.

yes we will spend the next 20 years paying it off....

but yes it is also nice to see towns/cities being done up for the world cup....

i wonder if there is going to be any trouble at the waterfront and throughout auckland tonight....you know all very well that there will be....the drunkens and idiots cant help themselves, what a nice light they will portray us in when they do stupid things......hmmmm

OK, lets leave this thread to the fans so they can share their excitement and those of us who are over it can just control ourselves and not post eh? We know we don't like it, and aren't interested, so leave it to those who do like it and are interested.

I do have one final question though...

There has been a series of ads with a military guy training cameramen to be matchfit. The last one finishes by saying "If you don't (I can't remember what - watch the games?) whatsisname the cameraman will have lost his manhood and all this will have been in vain". - or something like that.

What is he supposed to be shaking? (an oversized urine sample?) and what did the cameraman do that meant he lost his manhood??? :o :dunno:

Those of you who watched the opening ceremony on TV and haven't seen much of Auckland from the water at night, I wondered did you get the point of the port cranes driving about other than to be taking part or appear to be dancing? It's because you can see their little flashing lights darting about and it looks really cool :thup:

Those of you who watched the opening ceremony on TV and haven't seen much of Auckland from the water at night, I wondered did you get the point of the port cranes driving about other than to be taking part or appear to be dancing? It's because you can see their little flashing lights darting about and it looks really cool :thup:

I am a St. John youth manager and i had cadets telling that it looked like CRANE DRILL! lol i thought it was awesome. drill for anyone who doesn't know is marching and all that kinda thing. but this was crane drill! lol

I watched the opening ceremony and thought it was spectacular, i especially loved the screen on the field.

all you people out there who are being all anti rugby GET OVER IT!! be thankful its being held in NZ and not another part of the world where we would have almost no involvement in it :) I am not a big rugby fan but i'm supporting my team

Auckland city was chaos. God i'm glad I don't have kids because I would have been terrified if I had them there like so many people did. People were getting crushed when we were trying to get back to get on the ferry. Not very well planned family event. Maybe Len Brown can write a song about his terrible idea to cram everyone in to Auckland city and provide no entertainment for the masses of people that didn't make it in to the viaduct or the cloud? Crazy they stopped all transport into the city before 5. Next time we host the cup I hope they plan it a bit better haha! They could have put big screens up at different places and tried to spread everyone out a bit. I read somewhere they had 3 first aid stations and 8 big screens. Hardly enough! And there was not enough cops. I got to watch two cops climb on a roof to tell everyone get down though, and everyone cheered when they swung off one of the big lights to get down. And I saw a bloke with a very impressive moko holding a maori flag have a fight with several cops! Good advert for our country buddy! Haha!

The wakas were awesome, as were the fireworks, the opening ceremony was great and I was super into it because I love when we have an excuse to showcase our culture. Dave Dobbyn is kind of adorable and we should include both Welcome Home and Loyal as the third and forth parts of our anthem! And it was cool to see Jonah out and about! I think he's great!

The game was awesome, obviously not the best competition for them, but my favourite player, Mr Nonu scored a try and wore his pink boots so I was very happy. :happy2:

It seems to me that the reason the trains failed was due to idiots pressing the emergency buttons and walking on the tracks. I do not see how the train system itself can be blamed for human stupidity :roll:

I think those of you on the boats would have had the best view!