The What's Up? thread.

SamH

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it's the Craft Beer Capital of NZ, go to Hashigo Zake and sample a few brews and one of their awesome pies (the beef rendang is great!), and maybe get your mate to drive home...

I was under the impression that the nelson/mot region was the capital for craft beers. thats what the flyers for all the beer festivals suggest at least

According to an article on Stufff...

"Nelson, for example, has a huge number of breweries and quite rightly calls itself New Zealand's craft brewing capital, but a lot of the beer brewed in Nelson is drunk in Wellington."

Not sure why having more beer drunk in your region makes you a beer capital, as I thought it referred to the making of it, but there you go. :dunno:

Nelson is probably the "capital" of NZ brewing with the bulk of NZs hop production and a few different breweries, but as far as having a craft beer 'scene' Wellington wins hands down, check out http://www.craftbeercapital.com/. Certainly far more craft beer pubs than any other city in NZ, and many supermarkets/bars/restaurants beer selections reflect this. Even in Auckland it isn't common to see beer offered at generic restaurants that isn't from DB or Lion, but in Wellington there are often offerings from several independent craft breweries.

P44, I don't blame the average NZer for not liking beer based on what we've been offered for decades from the two brewing monopolies, tasteless generic brown fizz, I often wonder if a rich warm chocolate or coffee stout, or a spicy Belgian Trippel, or a super hoppy American IPA could change that....

Just had a clean out and trim on the big tank will do water change once i get home but for now heading to the markets to get burritos from my mates burrito truck if u ever go to the frankits markets in wellington or you see the bright orange burrito bros truck at a festval or market near you be shure to try one its my friend and his brothers new venture and not being biased they are hella good burritos :happy1:

Went fishing again today and caught 4 barracudas and nothing else! Seems to be a major shortage of pilchards for bait around this summer, I've tried everywhere in town and a few places in Dunedin when I was up there last time so have had to resort to using american sardines, at least the cudas love them I guess!

pics or they didn't happen

burritos didnt happen today :( we ended up getting to the markets to late was so gutted. had pita pit instead..it was average to say the least.

Went fishing again today and caught 4 barracudas and nothing else! Seems to be a major shortage of pilchards for bait around this summer, I've tried everywhere in town and a few places in Dunedin when I was up there last time so have had to resort to using american sardines, at least the cudas love them I guess!

plenty of pilchard up here in wellington but it all seems quite old and crappy (falls off the hook far to easy evin when tied on with elastic) i have given up on it and using squid definately dosent get as many bites but at least it lasts long enough to hook something.

we went out the other day just off the rocks in the harbour caught 1 small kahawai 1 27cm blue cod (threw it back was to small) about 20 juvi blue cod probably 10 or so trevalleys (2 of which i used as live bait but no one was interested) and about 50 - 60 spottys.. bloody possums of the sea i hate the things! we did see a school of small fish about 10 meters out from us jumping about like they were being chased so threw our lines in bascily on top of them and nothing was interested haha just wasnt our day really. going for a dive tomorrow so hopefully that shows up something good

I don't like bitterness. If it were sweet like peaches then I'd like it more.

Saw an L018 for $120 which was not bad, but didn't risk driving with it. Apart from that the shop was pretty avg.

They had some flash plecos - $120 each as well.

Nothing I've seen so far beats HFF and World of Water.

yeah the kawhai was tiny tho so we used him as bait and the trev's wer all under size as well

All the cudas I landed were around 900-1100mm length, put up semi decent fights and as a bonus gave 3 of them to some dudes from Ashburton who were down for xmas and weren't having any luck using squid. They couldn't believe it when I had my first one landed within 10 minutes of arriving when they had been there for 3 hours.

I don't like bitterness. If it were sweet like peaches then I'd like it more.

Saw an L018 for $120 which was not bad, but didn't risk driving with it. Apart from that the shop was pretty avg.

They had some flash plecos - $120 each as well.

Nothing I've seen so far beats HFF and World of Water.

i take it you went to the pet center then? haha i brought one of them from there a couple weeks ago along with a green phantom.

craig who works there is a good sort keen fisho and always happy to help out.

All the cudas I landed were around 900-1100mm length, put up semi decent fights and as a bonus gave 3 of them to some dudes from Ashburton who were down for xmas and weren't having any luck using squid. They couldn't believe it when I had my first one landed within 10 minutes of arriving when they had been there for 3 hours.

haha well played!

10 or so trevalleys (2 of which i used as live bait but no one was interested) |

you do realise that is illegal unless the trevally is over legal.....

I find it funny that people in Welly cant get pillies when they used to be common down there....

http://fs.fish.govt.nz/Doc/21767/69_PIL_09.pdf.ashx

hrmmm... I wonder where all the big fish have gone, must be cause I can;t catch a livie anymore....

you do realise that is illegal unless the trevally is over legal.....

I find it funny that people in Welly cant get pillies when they used to be common down there....

http://fs.fish.govt.nz/Doc/21767/69_PIL_09.pdf.ashx

hrmmm... I wonder where all the big fish have gone, must be cause I can;t catch a livie anymore....

Well no i didnt realise that oops oh well to late now.. :oops:

As for pillies theres heaps of frozen ones but theyr no good.

lol, most of the frozen ones come from aussie, where they are beginning to become rare as well

I mainly go fishing now with a half loaf of bread..... if I cannot catch bait at the spot then generally there is no food for the big guys im chasing in a good spot it normally only adds about 5 mins to my fishing. pls gives me some fun while I wait, there is normally always snails, limpets, cunje, crabs etc.....

although I do collect Tuatua as well for beach fishing as cannot get them at high tide. (and you cannot eat them up here atm....

i take it you went to the pet center then? haha i brought one of them from there a couple weeks ago along with a green phantom.

craig who works there is a good sort keen fisho and always happy to help out.

Yeah, that's it. Was pretty darn tempted but can't always have what I want haha. I would have bought it if I were local to Wellington.