The What's Up? thread.

SamH

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I spent this gorgeous day at work. Not all bad though as it was the boss's 80th birthday so I made him a red velvet cake with cream cheese icing. We have been eating it all day :love:

We also took him to the Poppy Thai Restaurant for lunch. It didn't matter that we were a bit late back since he was the boss :wink:

but sun shine equals cricket time, how could you possibley not like cricket

It's just people hitting a ball with a stick. Big deal. :yaw2:

sport/spôrt/

Noun:

An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

In my opinion pretty much all sport is over-rated and pointless, and I find it incredibly boring and uninteresting. Lets take a random sport... How about basketball? You throw a ball in a basket - yeah, you score a point, your team might win, you might have had to learn lots of skills/tactics to beat the other team, you might get a dust collector, and possibly you might get paid millions to run around and bounce a ball up and down like any little kid could do. But what does that really achieve in life?

But hey if sport floats your boat then that's fine :thup:

Also that's not to say that I don't like doing anything physical; I've been mowing the lawns, and I have been going walking (but not as much as I should. It's just been so hot lately. I need to go walking in the evening more). Sport is something that I can't comprehend and I have never managed to make sense of. I've tried loads of sports and been bored to death my all of them and I just don't see the point in sport.

I really love this website :happy2: It sums up exactly how I feel! http://www.sportssuck.org/index.htm

I have to agree with you on most of that Joe. Although professional athletes do put a lot of time, money and effort into their chosen sport and become the best at what they do, I can't stand most sports either. It just gets repetitious all too quickly for me.

I don't mind people who enjoy playing sport with some mates for a bit of fun and excercise. But it kinda annoys me when TV shows are delayed/not played because of sport, when people harp on about it all the time, when PE at school is just learning sports skills and playing sports games, when people get violent and have arguments over sport, when people's lives depend on who wins what game, when people assume that everyome else likes sport, and when people say "How can you not like sport?".

There's so much more to life than sport.

@ joe, do I asume you are relusive and have spent alot of your time doing things like drawing pictures and writting poems?

isnt the defintion of PE pyshical education i;e learning about being physical aka sport..

@sam Its not just pros that put time effort and money into their sport. amatuers do the same just not often on the same scale.

Sport has been round in one form or another since the dawn of time, its brings people together, makes bonds,makes freindships, creaates memorys, keeps fitness and health levels up,improves cognitive behaviour and becomes an event for the public to enjoy together etc

there is so much more to it then just pffft sport

Also when I was refering to cricket i was meaning playing it more then watching it on tv although I do watch lots of cricket.

I do do drawings occasionally but no I do not write poems. My main interests are photography, cooking and of course aquariums. Yes I suppose you could say I am reclusive, and I don't socialize well with other people. I do not share any interests with anyone at my school, and I mainly have conversations with older students and teachers, and the few friends that I have (only in class time though when they are not out playing games at lunch time).

Most of the sports I tried were when I was at primary school. They did not help with my development at all. When I was a little kid I would go to the library and pick out large non-fiction books about reptiles and insects and stuff like that and read them cover-to-cover. And you need to remember, just because a lot of people like sport it do not mean that everyone likes it. Like I said, I have NOTHING against physical activity. It is excellent. I just really don't like sport because it is competitive, and even non-competitive sports I still do not enjoy. I don't like games at all really. What you say about it bringing people together etc. is all very true. But sport isn't for everyone.

Also I realize that you were referring to playing cricket not watching it. I personally would much rather go for a two hour walk up the hill in the late afternoon and take some photos rather than be running around under the scorching sun hitting balls with sticks all day. Either way I would still be getting exercise. It's just about personal preference. If we were all the same, the world would be boring.

But my point is that it I don't really like it when people who are really in to sport ask questions like "How can you not like sport (cricket as you specified)" and think that everyone likes/should like sport. Everyone is different. When I talk about something I like and someone else isn't interested in it, I just accept the fact that they are a different person, with different interests and a different personality. Doesn't mean I still can't get on with them.

Not all teenage boys are interested in being the best at sport and winning lots of trophies etc. I am not a sports fanatic, and never will be. I prefer to do my own thing. This does not mean that I am not doing anything to improve my fitness and cognitive behaviour and health. In fact I'm possibly the healthiest person at my school (not the fittest though) - I do not drink soft drinks, juice, or alcohol, I don't eat things like cereal or muesli bars or pretty much any shop-bought baking, I don't eat chips, lollies and most crackers, and I don't eat any highly processed foods. I eat a lot of salads and cooked meals that I make myself, and I only eat wholemeal and grain bread and pasta.

To a lot of people like myself, it is just "pfffft sport". Because we hear so much about it all the time, and we aren't really interested in it and don't want to have anything to do with it. There are a lot of people out there who just think "pffft, fishkeepers". See where I'm coming from? :wink:

I went for a hour and a half walk this morning at 6. Was a nice day and I got to talk to my mate about stuff on the beach. We probably walked about 10kms or so :yaw1: Then a swim in the pool (I was quite suprised to find it was 19C-20C this morning). Absolutely knackered now though.

I do understand where you are coming from, and before I go any further I wasnt having a dig or making any slander towards you with the drawings and being reclusiveness. now we have that out of the way....

"How can you not like sport (cricket as you specified)"

Asking how can you not like something is a very simple day to day question that can be regarded for anything. I particulary like asking it regarding cricket because so so so many people dont like it

In fact I'm possibly the healthiest person at my school (not the fittest though) - I do not drink soft drinks, juice, or alcohol, I don't eat things like cereal or muesli bars or pretty much any shop-bought baking, I don't eat chips, lollies and most crackers, and I don't eat any highly processed foods. I eat a lot of salads and cooked meals that I make myself, and I only eat wholemeal and grain bread and pasta.

I think being healthy would included being fit, I do comend you for your effort however! just because you eat somethings and not others does not make you healthy, I eat a mix of everything and feel I am equal as healthy as someone that only eats thing like you do and visits health shops 3 times a week for unnessacry products

Good work Anthony :bounce: What cories are they?

peppers,,

also the male red empress is holding,,please dont eat them,,hehe

Also it wasn't meant to be a rant as such, I was just discussing my views on a point. I do not mean to upset or offend anyone :)

:slfg: im guillty :sml2: :sml2:

i try not to but some times it does,,happen,,they enther get over it ,,or piff they dont,, :slfg: some time i write some thing ,,why does evey one

take it the wrong way :dunno: