The What's Up? thread.

SamH

if society could self regulate there would be no need of laws

but sadly there is no one size fits all when it comes to offence taken as there are many points of view in the world

when offence is taken to something, i think responsibility lies with the offended person to deal with said offence, which is always possible, be it removing themselves from the situation or person they are offended by, or, on the other hand, changing their own mindset and thought patterns in order to prevent being offended
another possibility is removal of the one doing the offending

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if society could self regulate there would be no need of laws

but sadly there is no one size fits all when it comes to offence taken as there are many points of view in the world

another possibility is removal of the one doing the offending

i disagree. people can take offence to anything. let's pretend my dad was eaten by a shark. then, lets pretend, you made a post on how awesome sharks are. i may well take offence to that, and for good personal reason. is it then really fair that you should be removed from the situation just because i have taken offence? or is it more fair that i simply try and avoid anything to do with sharks, knowing full well that i will be offended by it.

being offended is not a right, it is a personal opinion. it is nobody elses duty to protect your own personal opinion but yourself. i do not think that everybody else should have to adjust their own behaviour just to suit one persons own personal opinion.

no longer referring to fnzas here, just putting my opinion out there - like it or not ;)

My personal view is that the word is a derogatory word and is insulting just like the derogatory words some use to describe African Americans, Chinese, Italians, Arabs etc. It makes no difference to me that they may choose to use the word themselves--it is intended to be derogatory.

See if you would be comfortable replacing the word with any other derogatory words as I have suggested.

There is a four letter word of anglo saxon derivation pertaining to bodily excretion, and an old saying about owning your own rather than claiming that what I post is the responsibility of someone else.

The word whore is in the bible so it can't be that derogatory surely? I think some people are just prudes and old fashioned.

What kind of reasoning is that? Just because a religious did it, that makes it ok? I think you pulled me up that sort of reasoning before :sml2:

In anycase it wasn't used in a kindly fashion about a woman in the bible either. Nobody uses that word to describe a woman they have respect for.

Nobody uses that word to describe a woman they have respect for.

I have before :evil:

I think this is being forgotten, the words he used was in context to a particular charector in a tv show. Please youtube or download trailor park boys to get some type of context of this

According to Oxford dictionary:

Whore

noun

derogatory

-a prostitute.

-a promiscuous woman.

As it is specified as a derogatory word I dont think we should be using it on a family friendly forum.

Although as it was used as a quote it might have been appropriate although it may have been in bad taste when used there.

Other then that I have managed to get my senagal birchirs to eat pallets instead of blood worms now. :happy2: :happy1: :happy2: :happy1:

Context is everything.

I have just made some sushi, a quiche and some bran muffins (aka as poo pellets or fluffin muffins by my kids).

Just waiting for our visitor to arrive. I think he must be lost! He said he thought he was about 20km away but that was over 45 minutes ago.

I do hope your birchirs are eating pellets and not pallets :wink:

Implied (not insinuated) swearing is the use of other characters instead of some letters in a swear word - eg if "brick" was a swear word we would not allow you to put "b#@ck".

I am off to quiz night tonight with my team Les Quizerables :dnc1: