The What's Up? thread.

SamH

Ehhhh there are all these people here for some stupid pigeon club thing :an!gry I hate it when I feel like a stranger in my own home. Because our house is so small it is incredibly difficult to avoid anyone unless I just stay in one room which is impossible because I need to use the bathroom, get a drink and food from the kitchen etc.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow! Just watching Joanna Lumley's Greek Odyssey on TV1. She visited the 4th century theater of Epidaurus and Nana Mouskouri, showing how good the acoustics are, sang part of Ave Maria. She still has a wonderful voice at 78. :bow:

You youngin's probably don't know the name but Nana Mouskouri has sold nearly 400 million discs worldwide, recording about 1,500 songs in 15 languages on 450 albums. She has more than 230 gold and platinum albums worldwide, making her a candidate for the best-selling female recording artist of all time.

they weren't just ordinary parental friends, they were Pigeon Lovers :o

Exactly! I have no problems with my parent's friends because they never invite them all at once and I know all of their friends anyway, but the pigeon club people are all really strange and are a bit crazy and they can't understand that the majority of people don't like pigeons and view them as pests, and they get really annoyed at people who don't like pigeons.

Exactly! I have no problems with my parent's friends because they never invite them all at once and I know all of their friends anyway, but the pigeon club people are all really strange and are a bit crazy and they can't understand that the majority of people don't like pigeons and view them as pests, and they get really annoyed at people who don't like pigeons.

And whats wrong with being a little crazy and strange?

Maybe they think you are crazy and strange for keeping fish.

Hang on a minute! Joe, were you not once really interested in pigeons yourself? Did your dad not get involved as a result of your interest? Did he not spend many hours, and dollars, building bird aviaries in the backyard, not just for pigeons but for your other birds? :dunno:

Awww I have a sad little 8 year old girl today. Last night she got told that we are Santa, she immidiately started asking about all the other fairytales like the toothfairy and the easterbunny, she was so upset she did not even finish her supper. My son was ten when we told him, but because of bullying at school we had to tell her earlier, she was bullied for being the only child in her class still believing in santa and the toothfairy. She has only lost two little teeth so far, so its a shame that her world had to come tumbling down so soon :tears:

Awww I have a sad little 8 year old girl today. Last night she got told that we are Santa, she immidiately started asking about all the other fairytales like the toothfairy and the easterbunny, she was so upset she did not even finish her supper. My son was ten when we told him, but because of bullying at school we had to tell her earlier, she was bullied for being the only child in her class still believing in santa and the toothfairy. She has only lost two little teeth so far, so its a shame that her world had to come tumbling down so soon :tears:

I had a Christian neighbour break the news to my son about Santa, I was really pis*ed off!

Aww that sucks Mcrudd! I am not looking forward to having to do the same with my daughter!

Its hard, you could see her rewind her mind and think about everything and every fairytale we told her. I can't believe that kids are so cruel. I hope your daughter takes it well, My son was ten and when we told him, he said: "yeah I knew, its quite obvious that you and "santa" use the same wrapping paper LOL But my daughter struggled

I had a Christian neighbour break the news to my son about Santa, I was really pis*ed off!

We are Christian too, but we wanted our kids to have some fairytale in their lifes as well. Stef did not once doubt God when she bought all the fairytales up, I really get upset with Christians that mess up little things like that, I think its selfish

Can't decide what to have for tea tonight. Too hot to cook (besides which I had already said I wasn't cooking today), can't be bothered dressing nicely to eat at a restaurant, can't decide what sort of takeaways :dunno:

Thought I'd get a gourmet pizza from the supermarket but they only had two and neither were 'gourmet' enough to pay $13.00 for. :roll:

Can't decide what to have for tea tonight. Too hot to cook (besides which I had already said I wasn't cooking today), can't be bothered dressing nicely to eat at a restaurant, can't decide what sort of takeaways :dunno:

Thought I'd get a gourmet pizza from the supermarket but they only had two and neither were 'gourmet' enough to pay $13.00 for. :roll:

When I feel like this we usually end up making toasties, the kids love them :)

Too hot for toasties! - plus I said I wasn't going to cook on our anniversary and Grant is so slow at preparation we would be eating around midnight (assuming he gets home at all).

I have set up the stock trough to put snails in from the main pond. This means they are easy and quick to gather next time someone does a run to ChCh and is willing to take them down for Donna's turtles. We have so many snail eggs on the underside of the lilies that we will not run out of snails any time soon. Yes, they are snail eggs as they look different to goldfish eggs.

Hang on a minute! Joe, were you not once really interested in pigeons yourself? Did your dad not get involved as a result of your interest? Did he not spend many hours, and dollars, building bird aviaries in the backyard, not just for pigeons but for your other birds? :dunno:

Yes I was, and I appreciated what dad did. But I realised what a waste of time, money and labour the pigeons were and I wanted to get rid of them and use the cage for my other birds which were colourful, created less mess and I could make money out of them.

Also, when I got the pigeons I was very young and I saw some at a guy's place and we had never had any other pets other than cats at the time so I wanted some "birdies". I really should have done some research beforehand because I had no idea of what I was in for. It basically started off with a dovecote with two pigeons in it. I got a few more but I never had any more than 10 at a time. They used to just waddle around on the lawn and go back into the dovecote when they felt like it. There was no need to train them and it was an enjoyable and stress-free hobby (well they were more pets than a hobby really). My enjoyment and passion for them only started to deteriorate when dad got the pigeon club got involved. Dad then became more involved in MY hobby, and built and bigger cage and we got more birds, which then meant disease, lots more mess and higher feed costs. Dad got very angry at me for the price of bird seed, yet I told him not to buy the expensive seed mixes and in 20kg bags but of course being a hypocrite he went and bought it anyway so he could yell at me for how much it was costing him. He also got angry at me a lot because he didn't agree with the way I was training them for racing and sometimes I slacked on the "routine" and things like that. Dad's anger and frustration from what he turned into a relaxing past time for me into a messy and stressful hobby for the both of us caused me to basically just give up with the pigeons. I was already making a bit of money from my finches and parakeets and there was no mess, training and expense involved, so I wanted to use the cage for them and just go back to having a couple of pigeons in the dovecote. After a huge fight dad declared that ALL of the pigeons were staying and that they were "now his". I then had to look after them while he was working in Nelson during the week, and since then my interest for them decreased, then I started to hate them and I stopped looking after them and mum took over instead, and every time he comes home from work at Nelson all he asks about is how the pigeons are and he is always going on about pigeon racing. Every time he goes on about them he just won't shut up about it, and it brings back those horrible memories and makes me upset.

I'd like some of those, how much do they retail for?

The Green Neons are $8.90 each and the Axelrod's are $7.90 each at Organism.