The rules around free stuff

SamH

(Not sure which section this goes under so mods please move if necessary)

Ever since I've joined this forum, I have received plenty of free stuff from generous members, plants, fish and even aquariums. In saying that, I have given away my fair share of things too, one mans trash is another man treasure right? A while back I found out there is a sort of "unspoken rule" around free stuff on the forums. It goes something like, you can't sell stuff you get for free, you must pass it on for free.

But how does this rule work around things that breed and reproduce, such as fish and plants? Could I sell the offspring of fish I got for free? What about plant cuttings?

Any help clearing this issue up would be much appreciated.

my own rule is if i am given something i will give it away again

if the item has cost me money to repair or maintain then i generally try to recoup those costs

breeding something and selling the offspring is something i do but give some away as well

it will all depend on the person i am dealing with

your call sam :wink:

We don't have a "rule" but it is generally agreed that if you get something for free then you pass on the results for free also. When it comes to breeding from some fish that were given to you though (especially if they continue to breed regularly) I see no reason you can't sell some but also give some to someone else who would like them but is not in a position to buy them themselves.

I give away a lot of plants. All I ask, when I hand them over, is that the recipient continues to pass resulting cuttings on to others also in need.

It is now referred to, as smidey said, as "paying it forward" but this is just another way of saying "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" (Matthew 7:12 I believe for the religiously minded)

On a similar subject though, nobody like a newbie who, in their first few posts, starts asking for free stuff! :wink:

Free stuff should be offered, not requested.

On a similar subject though, nobody like a newbie who, in their first few posts, starts asking for free stuff! :wink:

Or one that competes against some of our trade supporters by not paying taxes them accuses them of ripping us off. Just simply in it for a quick buck

I'd say selling offspring or buds from plants etc if you were given the original for free is fine. Also selling the original if it's been a reasonable amount of time is ok. If someone were to give me a few fish they bred shortly after I'd be inclined to offer to give them a couple of the fry. I'd hope at least they'd do the same or at least some token amount

What I don't like is when I give someone something for free, or sell it for cheap, for like bristlenoses for a buck since you know you're selling at a loss and just asking for a token amount...I expect the person to keep them. But when I sell a fish for a buck or give it to someone for free and then see it up on trademe with a $5 reserve each THAT annoys me.

I think that if you are given stuff that it is rude to sell the original item for profit.

However, if you have been successful in growing or breeding it, then I feel I can sell some of the offspring/cuttings without getting the guilts.

In saying that, I usually end up giving more away than I sell anyway and just charge enough to cover P&P.

And what Barrie and Caryl said.

We don't have a "rule" but it is generally agreed that if you get something for free then you pass on the results for free also. When it comes to breeding from some fish that were given to you though (especially if they continue to breed regularly) I see no reason you can't sell some but also give some to someone else who would like them but is not in a position to buy them themselves.

I give away a lot of plants. All I ask, when I hand them over, is that the recipient continues to pass resulting cuttings on to others also in need.

It is now referred to, as smidey said, as "paying it forward" but this is just another way of saying "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" (Matthew 7:12 I believe for the religiously minded)

Fully agreed. I never sell something I was given but if I breed from them I will normally sell the resulting fry, but in some cases, depending on who it is I will pass them on for free.

No rule though. :D

I wouldn't have a problem with you selling fry from free fish, or cuttings of gifted plants - if you want to put the time and effort into growing up something nicely so it reproduces - feeding and caring for baby fish / maintaining great plants - then you deserve to get any money you can for what you have made.

I wouldn't sell the parent plant/fish if I got them for free - would give them away, but would have no problem with progeny being sold. (tho I would likely offer the original gifter some babies/ cuttings as well for free)

Also if somebody (especially someone who may be short on cash or limited resources, ie. young people) is needing something I had an excess of then I would definitely be giving some away.

So, a little bit of both is good. :)

You all have some really good points there. I like the idea of giving away twice as much as what was given before selling it and only selling offspring, not original fish or plants.

I was asking as I found this today, from a plant Zev sent me a while back for free :D

I was given it a many years ago by a member here - haven't seen him for a while. I thought it had karked it until about a year ago when I found a corm rolling around in one of my tanks.

Sell it Sam!