Bud is sick!

Caryl

Thanks Jenniferh. I am worried as his back end is looking very dirty and he is normally a clean bird. He is definitely pooing but a lot seems to be sticking around the vent and he still looks a little blocked. Do peas work on budgies? If not, what else?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He may be getting soiled because he is not carefully taking a poo like he normally would (since he is so fluffed up and weak). Another alternative is that he may be having diarrhoea as a result of the meds. Or, he may be having difficulty with his digestive tract for anther reason (such as a mass pressing in or invading his intestinal tract). What do his droppings look like? Does he have formed poo and liquid urine? Does he have white urates or yellow/green urates? What colour is the poo? Is that normal for him?

Moist foods will always be helpful as that will keep his fluids up, especially if he has diarrhoea, of course moist foods will make his stools softer.

If he gets to the point that his vent area is very moist and potentially causing a skin problem it would be good if you could gently use a slightly damp warm cloth to wipe some of it away the next time you are medicating him. Take care not to get his feathers too wet though. Clipping away some of the soiled feathers is also a potential solution but take great care if you try this since it is very easy to cut their fragile skin.

Well he had his 3rd dose tonight and I think he may be showing a slight improvement. He is quite alert this evening, threw some things off the bench (for the first time in several days) and is currently having some banana with Grant as an American vet friend suggested pumpkin and banana were good for constipation.

I think he is looking a little cleaner tonight too.

His poo looks like it normally does and is a mix of black and white. I suspect the black may actually be a dark green but my eyesight is not what it used to be. :roll:

Come to think of it, although I can still hear him breathing, I don't think it is as loud or rattling sounding (but I could be kidding myself) and he has not sneezed today (that I noticed). Before we started the meds he was sneezing a lot.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help. His grandparents are going to look after him and give him his meds on Saturday. If he dies while we are away mum said she will bury him in the garden. This is good as we don't have a garden to bury him in (ours is all bark chipped, hers is easy to dig in! :lol:

But, feathers crossed, he may be improving :bounce:

We haven't left yet (go in the morning) but he is worse :(

If he is still alive on Monday I think we will have him put down by the vet as he is obviously suffering. He can only fly short distances and I am now pretty sure there is an underlying tumour causing the rest of the problems as I think I can see it from certain angles (either that or he has developed a beer gut)

He still has a raspy breath and is breathing very heavily and sitting uncomfortably. He is still eating but otherwise just sleeps. Today he spent quite a bit of time on the cage floor rather than his perch - not a good sign :(

He can't die today cos it's my birthday! :-?

Well, there may or may not have been an improvement over the weekend but he is still a very sick bird. I want to take him back to the vet on Monday to make the decision of whether to continue treatment or put him out of his misery but I feel he is not going to get any quality of life from now on and, if we are right about the tumour, getting over the pneumonia is not going to help as the tumour is killing him anyway :(

Now is probably not the time to say this but we bought another bird today (Grant fell in love instantly). We now have a maroon bellied conure which we haven't named yet. It has a very big cage and stand and a lot of toys.

We will not tell Bud though as he will think we don't love him anymore and that isn't so :-?

Of course, if he makes a miraculous recovery he will get to meet it eventually but at the moment he is still with his grandparents.

We now have a maroon bellied conure which we haven't named yet. It has a very big cage and stand and a lot of toys.

Since you got a budgie and named it Bud I think the only logical name for a conure is Connor(Or Connie if it's a female)

Thank you all. He gets reassessed at the vet today 2.45. He has improved a little but is still a sick budgie so I think it will be kindest to have him put down. He certainly does not have quality of life and we put off getting Misty put down so I think she suffered longer than she should have just because we couldn't bear to make the decision. We have not heard a sound out of him for a week now and he is usually bouncing about nattering away and playing with his toys. :(

As to names, Deidre (one of our members) works at a supermarket with several Brazilians and Sth Americans so is going to ask them for South American name. Of course we will have to trust us when they assure us the name relly does mean something nice! :lol:

At the moment it is being called Pepper cos it is green with a bit of red on the front and it has bite :wink:

I understand you can train them to poo in designated areas so will need to learn more about them. We are not even sure what they can eat apart from bird seed. The guy at the shop said they love raw peanuts in the shell but I could only find roasted ones. Anyone know where else they can be found and how often they can have them?

Also, what fruits and veg can I give, and how often? Any advice on training or any aspect would be appreciated. :bow:

I am sorry to report that Bud the wonder budgie died today (with the vet's help) at 2.58pm :(

Turns out he did, as we expected, have a very large tumour. The vet suspected it had been pushing against the other body parts which was why he appeared to be partially constipated and having difficulty breathing.

I cried almost all the way back to mum's then, once there, having to tell her we had to euthanase him I burst into tears again so I have been too upset to post earlier. Sorry to those of you waiting to hear the outcome.

He was a wonderful little companion and we will miss his chatter and funny (and not so funny) antics.

RIP Bud :(:(:(:(:(