grrrrrrr.... flatmates

phoenix44

grrr.

im in auckland, away from where I live in palmy on holiday for about 10 days.

2 of my flatmates are moving out, which is fine, but they got a couple that I have not really been able to meet to move in, transferred their names on to the NZ tenancy agreement, and everything.

I knew nothing of this.

what's more is they are making the new people pay only $150 per week in rent, instead of $175, and say that they(original flatmates) will pay $25 per week - course they are not legally obligated to do so now that the contract is no longer in their name.

then it gets worse.

just got told a few mins ago - surprise you have new flatmates.

oh also - they love fish and have a cat!!!

fine, but im allergic to cats. can't have em in the house. ich all over, can't breathe and can't sleep.

then there is rusty. I can't have a darn cat live with a bird in the house, if im not home during the day!!! :evil: :evil:

what the hell were they thinking!!!!!!!! I HATE THEM!! SOOOOO ANGRY!!

they also broke my washing machine, so i have to fix that. and now there will be no fridge come to 7th of august.

grr.

but what about my rusty rust? can't have him living with a feral cat!!! I like cats, but doesn't mean i want them, and they eat birds!! its what they are meant to do. for crying out loud.

I specifically said, they MUST NOT HAVE A CAT!!!!

they kept it a secret all this time, and got them to do the paper work when i was out of time. damn sneaky ....... ......(insert the worlds worst profanities here_)....

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well hopefully they will be really nice people who understand how a thermostat works and even want to set up more aquariums around the house! AND maybe their cat is an outdoor cat only...AND they've always wanted to buy a new fridge!

If not, maybe its time for you to find a new place? I know its a hassle, but sometimes its for the best... Since I've moved, I haven't been happier. My bf and I took on the lease ourselves, and we chose some really cool flatmates. Plus we found a really cool place that is mold free and warmer with a terrific view! Please the new flattmates clean up after themselves!

But out of curiosity...if the old flatties stop paying the $50 does it fall on you? Because technically don't you have an aggreement of how much you are meant to pay? They can't make YOU pay more can they? Its not what you signed to.

Some people are just such idiots...

Goodluck!

that's no good!

How big is Rustys cage?

We have our bird cage (cockatiel) on a winch type thingee that gets hoisted during the day when we are out so the cats can't bother it. I have water gun trained them to stay away and they do ignore the bird when we are home .... but you never know what they do when your back is turned.

Anyway... get yourself a squirtgun and tell the flatties you WILL use it every time their cat goes near Rusty.

Ok, enough with the ideas concerning the cat, I have removed several posts regarding this.

The problem here is not the cat, but what the flatmates have done in Phoenix's absence, and it would be more constructive to offer ideas on how to sort this out, rather than pick on the cat.

they kept it a secret all this time, and got them to do the paper work when i was out of time. damn sneaky

your previous flatmates have been sneaky indeed

sadly this is a part of flatting when you don't have control over who you flat with

all you can do is talk to the new people and explain your allergy and worry about rusty

as said they may love fish and you may get on well together

i imagine any shortfall in rent will have to be equally shared unless you have signed an agreement to pay a fixed amount

:o I missed all the posts concerning how to deal with said cat. were they that creative? :lol:

How big is Rustys cage?

its big. but he is not allowed a cage. we compromised and now he is allowed to sit on it at best. too many behavioural issues with him having a cage.

I will get an sonic sensor and keep it outside my room. with any luck the cat should be out for good.

you never know what they do when your back is turned.

yeah that's my biggest worry. I mean it's a cat. its what they evolved to do.

If the now old flatmates decide to stop paying the extra $25 per week the liability falls on the current flatmates as in the tenancy agreement. so me, and the three other people.

It is an expensive house - 3 bedrooms and $370pw. expenses are $25pw and that does not include food so not everyone can afford the rent there. I found the house, and it was because of me that we were able to rent the house (as you can imagine there is a terrible stigma with student renters). but i still got everyones names on the tenancy agreement just in case of legal liability like this.

Sorry to hear about that Phoenix

Ore you in a position that you could find other flatmates and evict them. I know that it is a hassel finding a good flat mate but if you can find someone then evict them or just evict their cat.

Also as much as I love cats (especially mine) they are known to run away when moved to a new house so if it is not chipped it might "run away" and find a new home with a nice new family that will look after it

yeah, thing is I like cats.

hell - I have two cats here in auckland :lol: but I am violently allergic to one of them, and the second one is ok with me. but even when rust was here in AKL with me last time, I did not leave the cats with the bird unsupervised (even though they both looked sligtly scared of a bird that wanted to play with them).

so if I don't get my own cats to palmy why should someone else get their cat in my house in palmy? especially after i said NO cats please; Im allergic. the 2 flatmates kept it hidden as the guy said, yeah that's fine there are no cats. now that im not there to see what is going on - there suddenly is a cat after the paper work has been done.

no more mr. nice, understanding guy from me.

I would be talking to your Landlord about this Phoenix, explain to him/her that these people have been told they can rent the House without your permission.

Maybe your Landlord wont be Happy about a Cat living in his House.

We own a Rental Property, and there is NO WAY anybody will be living there without MY approval.

I'm damn sure the Landlord will want to know who is now living there, he/she should have a copy of the Rental Agrreement with the changed names on it.

correct me if I'm wrong Phoenix, but my understanding is that you were ok with them moving in, and you had done your part of the agreement. But then the story started changing and the people that are moving in are paying less rent, now have a cat and next probably will no longer like fish?

ok so. i met this girl as she went through the house to see it. she seemed nice, but there was no mention of cats. I tolde her I have fish and the bird, and she saw the fish.

turns out she is moving in with her boyfriend which is perfect for that massive room with the walk in wardrobe and private ensuite.

then yesterday i got told on gmail chat that they have a cat, but have already signed the agreement and their names are now on the agreement. :o *angry me.

I like the people, im against the cat and that i will fight for.

the landlord is ok with 1 cat in the house, always has been - but i am not as i can't deal with cat fur and saliva etc on some cats. landlord just wanted to meet the new people which she has. i mean the girl i met seemed nice but then again i only spoke to her for 3 minutes max.

the 2 flatmates that are moving out are causing me a lot of anger. the new cat has got to be outdoors. don't like any cats on the property - the bird was there first and he gets free range of the house, not some silly cat that will make me sniffle and not breathe properly and ich all over :lol:

fact is I have to sign the new tenancy agreeement as well, which I will not if worst comes to worse. the last person they want to upset is me, and they are not doing a good job so far.

LOL. yes Ill be sure to do that. its a good thing I can get me some ultrasonic sound emmiter things. pitbulls next door tend to help keep the cats away too.

that and lots of squirt bottles, filled with sour grapes (pet repellent) and water.

Call/Txt the flatmates, tell them you're allergic to cats so can't have one in the house, if they're not prepared to give it up, tell them you'll be going to the landlord about the matter. It's not fair on you OR Rusty! (Who btw, I agree should NOT be allowed in a cage - he ran away from me yesterday when I went to stop him stealing Treo's toy, the little tart!)

Your old flatties suck for having done that too, I'd be annoyed as! :evil: Just remember you can go to the landlord if things don't go your way, as you seem to be the 'head tenant' [or whatever] and they know you better.

Ling told me that i had to sort out the cat with the current flatmates. looks like i will have a lot to sort out when i get back :evil:

But it's her fault! Gimme Ling's number! :evil:

Whatever you do, don't back down on the matter with the new flatmates. It's rude and unacceptable on their part to force a cat on someone who's allergic.

If they don't get rid of it, I may have to smuggle it to my house... Kitty could use a friend. :wink: