Another Great NZ Molly Hunt?

Wok

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking to a friend last night about these guys, apparently they will got belly-up very easily if you put them in your average freshwater tank.

They have been living in hard water with a lot of other mineral content, and if you put them in freshwater they can't cope. Apparently they do better if your water is naturally hard and/or your tank is salted (apparently mollies are naturally slightly brackish fish anyway).

(This is all what he said, I have seen this population but know nothing about them)

Regarding releasing stuff, don't you dare :evil: there are enough exotic pests out there without you creating more for the fun of it.

I know people are joking at the moment, but please don't take it further.

Cookieskennels, there will probably be people going from Palmy you could get a ride with :)

• 1 month later...

Sounds like fun :)

Unfortunately I am too far away.

I followed the link stella gave and found this...

Caudo (Phallocerus caudimaculatus) Caudo were only recently discovered in New Zealand. The only known population occurs in stock water troughs near Whangarei, but the origins of this population are a mystery. They are thought to have come from a nearby stream, but no population can be found there today.

Does any one know where these water troughs are?

OOOHHH!

I would be keen to go! I have seen photos from previous ones and it looks like major muddy fun!

You just need old clothes, good sturdy shoes and a really big net!!!

I could car pool too as I have an Odessey that fits up to 7 people (although it wouldn't with all the buckets and gear we'd need!)

I SO want to go now!

yea it's good fun and yes you need like the hugest net ever known to man...cos they're quick too! i'm thinking like whitebait net x3.

also you want REALLY good footwear...like rubber waders or gumboots...something similar...most of the muddy ground is scolding hot