Wok

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No we are not hunting in peoples tanks

We are in fact going to dive head first into a local waterway to get them

It's great fun

I would not reccomend it as the water is only 100mm deep , the mud is 300mm deep and VERY,VERY HOT. :roll: :lol:

Is it a good idea to be going back to the same place, trampling down their enviroment, scareing the buggery out of the fish and life in and around the area, and taking (potenually killing) the fish?

How many people from the last hunt still have all or most (if any) of the fish they caught or obtained from the last hunt?

I thought taking them as live food was ok too?

People breed them as live food.

Maybe so, but trampling down their enviroment is ok? And scaring the other wildlife (Aquatic and land-based etc)

Each to their own then aye?

Wouldnt want someone to come to my house and trample my home and suroundings.

But please yourself.

Maybe so, but trampling down their enviroment is ok?

LOL their environment?

Where do you think all aquarium fish come from? Somewhere along the line someone had to go out into the wild and catch them. As long as you're respectful to the environment and to the population of fish then its all good.

LOL their environment?

It is theirs as they live there. Not their original one no (but then I never said that) but it is currently theirs. So yes.

As long as you're respectful to the environment and to the population of fish then its all good.

But again, you are not being respectful by trampling it all down now are you?

We were given some from someone else, and then passed them on to another fishkeeper (as we ran out of room)

From what we understand, MOST of the one caught by everyone died. Only a few survived, very few.

What a waste.

MOST of the one caught by everyone died. Only a few survived, very few.

What a waste.

Totally true for most wild-caught aquarium fish.

I imagine, for at least some species, very few actually make it to the shops.

Back to mollying, it seems to me the simplest method of catching them would be to sink a large net over the accessible area, and have strings to the corners, go away and have lunch, then come back and pull up the net with billions of fish in it.

But somehow the ease of it seems like cheating ;)

It is theirs as they live there. Not their original one no (but then I never said that) but it is currently theirs. So yes.

So by your logic, pohutakawa forests are now the possums environment and we shouldn't be poisoning them?

And as for "trampling it down", are you suggesting mankind should just stick to the concrete paths they have made and leave the rest of the world untouched and undiscovered?

Over the years I have caught and purchased "Wild Caught" fish from South America and Africa. I can say that I have had a over 80% sucess rate. I have caught guppies and mollies in the Caribean and flown 6 hrs back home, 10 hrs total travel time and may have only lost one or 2 fish out of about 5 or 6 bags. The group I had belong to imported African cichlids to Canada, over 36hrs travel time and again losses were below 20%.