October 18, 200817 yr comment_268468 Ive been thinking about getting some for quite a while now and am not detered by the fact that they do not live long any one have mice are they good pets do they like being handeled please dont suggest another animal unless you really think I would get alot more enjoyment NO RATS mum is terrifyed of them and I will not let me get one what so ever. Report
October 18, 200817 yr comment_268470 You can tame mice quite easily. Females don't smell as much as males. They're pretty cool pets. Report
October 18, 200817 yr comment_268472 I've never had mice, but I've had rats.. and they're awesome! Females don't smell as much as males. Mice smell real bad anyway (unlike rats) lol Report
October 18, 200817 yr comment_268484 That's true - to be honest, rats are more interactive and live longer - I'd choose rats over mice. Report
October 18, 200817 yr comment_268497 Mice are cute but they do smell and are incontinent, both of which are annoying. I always thought the ideal would be a mouse with the trainability and continence of a rat. Mice do like being handled and they do make good pets, apart from the smell... Report
October 18, 200817 yr comment_268515 we had 2 rats & even if they were cleaned every day you could still smell them. Report
October 19, 200817 yr comment_268584 I had both rats and mice. Both were great pets but yes the mouse tends to poo anywhere, where a rat likes to have a poo spot in their enclosure. And will hold it when on you so it can go in its comfort zone. I would go for a girl one of which ever you decide they just smell better. I used to get the packets of wood chips for them from the petstore smells less than if you use shredded paper, but mice like paper to build a nest which can be fun to watch. Also if you buy more than one mouse theres a chance if they are young they could have been incorrectly sexed so may end up with unplanned babies. Enjoy it whatever you get! Report
October 19, 200817 yr comment_268589 I had two female rats and they never really peed or pooed on me at all. I got females cos the idea of having a boys nads right next to my head wasn't very pleasing :lol: (plus the petstore said they peed more ) Report
October 19, 200817 yr comment_268591 I work with mice so he hate the smell of them... I would recomend a chinchilla or small bird Report
October 19, 200817 yr Author comment_268602 what do you have to do with mice and whats a chinchilla? Report
October 19, 200817 yr comment_268625 if you do get a mouse or rat DO NOT feed them cheese or any type of meat. Report
October 19, 200817 yr comment_268656 Chinchillas are a awesome rodents from the andes in south america. Ive always wanted one, but dont have the room. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinchilla Report
October 19, 200817 yr comment_268660 in a pet store. They are not worth the hassel... get something cool... like a chinchilla. We have a pair at the store i work at and they are super cool. If i had the time id have them... PM me if you would like to know more... Report
October 19, 200817 yr comment_268665 How much do chinchillas cost? Do you keep them in a cage? I would do this by PM, but I think everyone could learn a little about them They look really really cute! I want a sugarglider - anyone know if they're allowed in NZ? http://www.sugarglider.com/ Report
October 19, 200817 yr comment_268666 Sorry for the double post but....In the last few years, sugar gliders have become the latest craze in the pet industry. What is a sugar glider anyway? A sugar glider is a marsupial which is related to the kangaroo family. The females have a pouch that they carry their young in much like kangaroos. They are found in the wild in New Zealand and Tasmania. http://www.essortment.com/all/whataresugarg_rhnx.htm Can anyone confirm this? Report
October 19, 200817 yr comment_268668 i think they have their marsupials mixed up possums yes, sugar gliders no after the bang they fall not glide Report
October 19, 200817 yr comment_268670 That's what I thought. I've been looking on the MAF site, but I can't tell if they're allowed in NZ or not Report
October 19, 200817 yr comment_268704 If you can't find anything saying they're allowed, then they're not. Report
October 19, 200817 yr comment_268706 Yeah I have to agree with everyone about the smell of mice. I had them as pets when young and they are really cute and all but they do smell dreadful and need a lot of cleaning. Also, I (thought I) had 8 females but I went away on holiday with friends and left my Mum with my 8 mice and came back to 37 mice. Report
October 19, 200817 yr comment_268723 Chinchillas are a awesome rodents from the andes in south america. Ive always wanted one, but dont have the room. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinchilla Compromise, get a Chinchilla cat: http://www.pelaqitapersians.com/images/chanan/silver_golden/IA08_706_chin_silver.jpg Soooo, much cuter! I had a mouse and a rat - the rat certainly had a lot more character, she would sit on my shoulder and run around under my top (but not next to bare skin) - rats don't mind sitting about, whereas mice run all over the place. Plus I could leave her sitting on the couch and she'd just sit there, she wouldn't scamper away. Get a female - the boys tend to be more aggressive and bite more - and there's the nad thing as enzoom said earlier. I think there's the misconception that people liken tame rats to the disease-ridden things in the wild. But as pet rats are also bred specifically to be pets, same as mice - they don't smell and have no diseases/fleas etc. Report
October 19, 200817 yr comment_268724 One other thing snake kid, both a mouse and rat always needs it's cage cleaned out weekly - not a pleasant job. Report
October 19, 200817 yr comment_268733 I had two mice once, they were garunteed to be females (was only getting one for safety's sake but was convinced by petshop attendant - foolish me), then had 8 mice grrrr! and yes they do smell I recommend frogs (theyre cuter, but less cuddley) but may be a little biased on that matter. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.