September 19, 200620 yr comment_121991 Nz curiers do same day delivery from akl to Tauranga and i think if you catch the morning run they shuttle to Te puke cost approx $12 per 5kg or .025 cu. mtr. Or you could pick up at Tauranga depot to save time. cheers Jim. Report
November 12, 200619 yr comment_130169 Greeting to one and all. I am going to write as I know, and it's what works for me. I SHIP FISH DAILY AROUND NEW ZEALAND. I WILL ONLY USE A COURIER IF THEY WILL GUARANTEE DELIVERY THE NEXT DAY. The fish are boxed as required and dropped off at the Couriers Depot at 4:30pm, with delivery the next morning by 11:00am at the latest. IF THEY DONT THEN IT IS BY AIR FREIGHT. It is a bit more expensive but if people want ME TO GUARANTEE LIVE DELIVERY then it is on my terms, and I will say ( tongue in cheek) that I have never had a DOA to this day. Touch wood it may continue.. Report
November 25, 200619 yr comment_132431 I have heard people sending cold water fish using cardboard boxes instead of polystyrene boxes. I was wondering if there would be too much temperature fluctuation? anyone here have any experience? Report
November 25, 200619 yr comment_132433 i've seen tropical fish arrive at shops in cardboard boxes - lined with polystyrene, maybe this is what you've heard about? Report
November 25, 200619 yr comment_132459 Fish will handle a considerable drop then rise in temperature provided it happens very slowly. If you give the fish a couple of hours to get used to new temperatures and water conditions on arrival they will usually handle it OK. Report
December 30, 200619 yr comment_137541 Hi All The old ways are still the best!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: The couriers do a great job within a 250Km radius, but I wouldn't trust them with expensive or HIGH VALUE FISH outside that area. The only way I would contemplate sending "DISCUS" the length of New Zealand would be by"Air". You are already paying "TOP DOLLAR" for the fish so why skimp on the freight cost. YOU ONLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR - AND SOMETIMES YOU DON'T EVEN GET THAT. Report
March 13, 200719 yr comment_151848 Hi Phill Collis here.. Freight depends on the courier firm.. I send Discus and other Fish all over nz and always delivery by noon next day.. Never have i even had a worry if they get there or not..So its not a problem freighting just problems with couriers that you cant rely on.. If they did what they were paid for then you know the rest.. For proof go to my auctions on T/Me and see feed back heading to 400 mark.. You have to just find the right courier that suits what you do.. The courier i use is the same one i have used mostly even when we owned Burbank Goldfish Farm..Cheers Phill Ps my courier is Courier Post thats part of air nz group.. Report
March 13, 200719 yr comment_151854 Bloody hell Phil, can you remember back that far?? I have just had two different shipments of fish come in. One by NOW courier, and contract on to NZPost. Good overnight service, arrived at 11.00am in the morning. The other was fron NZ Couriers. :evil: I heard a knock on the door, I go to answer it, open and see a card fall down on the porch. I read it "No one home, pick up at 4.30 at depot." Six hours later. :evil: :evil: :evil: The van is backing out the drive. I take off after the w--k-r and abuse S--T out of him, recover my box of fish, then immediately ring up his firm and complain. His excuse, "It was quiet and no one was around" It took me all of ten seconds to go from my computer to open the door. Now you can see why I was a tad ummm, brassed off. Report
March 13, 200719 yr comment_151866 Hi All, Thanks for your valued input Alan. I rest my case. 8) As a bit of interest from the useles information department: NZ Post is Part owned by DHL (Germany) and it was NZ Post that set up "PACE" to ship live animals around NZ; exept they didnt tell anybody that the package was put on the "NEXT FLIGHT" in an empty plane set and was charged at "ADULT PASSENGER" Fare price. :evil: PACE was soon shut down when they were taken to the Commerce Commision for their actions. :roll: Report
March 16, 200719 yr comment_152314 I read above: "Plecos... Spiney Catfish etc: Use Tupperware containers.. one third water.. two thirds air..." From what age on do bristlenoses have the spines? Can I ship little ones in bags? Or will they puncture the bags? What do the "experts" (or people that ship them all the time) think? Report
March 16, 200719 yr comment_152318 Hi Main problem is its just about imposible to know what air fish need when in plastic bag..So oxygen is a must to ensure they dont die..To spiney fish.. Discus are about the worst for spines..Some of my own custom made bags are 90 micron thick and a 50mm discus can spike it..So we use up to 3 bags per fish or... Simple way is the put several layers of WET news paper between inner and outer bag..I have had 300mm panaques come from Peru and bags lined with cut down water barrels. Hope helps..And Alan my memory is better than elephant.. I can still remember some of the first imports i had and now have stopped importing and just stay breeding..Less hassles..Cheers Phill Report
March 19, 200719 yr comment_152701 Late last year I was asked to send a very large chocolate cat fish aka talking cat fish from Wellington to Dunner's. They are as spiny as it gets. I used the paper trick that Phil mentioned and the fish arrived safe and sound, yes the inner bag was punchered - imposable to stop really but the 3 layers of wet paper protected the outer bags nicely. Report
April 24, 200719 yr comment_158634 I SHIP FISH DAILY AROUND NEW ZEALAND. I WILL ONLY USE A COURIER IF THEY WILL GUARANTEE DELIVERY THE NEXT DAY. The fish are boxed as required and dropped off at the Couriers Depot at 4:30pm, with delivery the next morning by 11:00am at the latest. IF THEY DONT THEN IT IS BY AIR FREIGHT. So if I want to send some fish down from the North to Dunedin it will be airfreight? And that will be delivered the next morning?? Got any experience with that? Report
April 24, 200719 yr comment_158638 I use nzcourier and they do overnight shipping nz wide. i sent one box to queenstown at 4:30pm and it arrived at 7:30 am. usually arrive at around 9-10:00am though. Make sure they put an overnight sticker on it though. Report
April 25, 200719 yr comment_158781 Thanks for that info kribkrazy. All the other couriers said it'll be a two day trip so i gave up ringing the last one Report
November 11, 200718 yr comment_194277 Hi All, What courier companies are you using at the moment? I need to get 4 Discus overnight from Auckland to Wellington. Thanks, Matt Report
November 11, 200718 yr comment_194297 thanks for the info now if people ask me to ship fish im selling i can! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Report
November 14, 200718 yr comment_195029 Hi All, What courier companies are you using at the moment? I need to get 4 Discus overnight from Auckland to Wellington. Thanks, Matt I use NOW Couriers for overnight North Island deliveries (under 2kgs). They don't do overnight South Island, so instead, I use NZ Couriers for that (under 5kgs). Haven't had any mishaps thus far (touch wood ). Report
February 25, 200818 yr comment_216544 20 guppies and 2 bristlenoses going in a poly box to queenstown overnight. will this be alright without a heat pack?? Queenstown i live Queenstown its probly someone i know Report
February 25, 200818 yr comment_216546 Queenstown i live Queenstown its probly someone i know lol posted 2005. Report
April 30, 200917 yr comment_303702 I have had 3 lots arrive safe using NZ Couriers, and have rung them each time first thing in the morning for a delivery time, and delivery has been within 10 min of the time I was told, and all were delivered before 10am Report
August 8, 201016 yr comment_386662 FYI - NZ Couriers no long ship from auckland. Just in case anyone is reading this and decides to use them. Report
August 8, 201016 yr comment_386669 If NZ courier doesnt ship from Auckland, how do Aucklanders ship fish? Report
February 3, 201115 yr comment_419638 Would you need to ship corydoras catfish (panda, sterbai, pygmy etc) would I use a tupperware container or a plastic bag? Report
February 3, 201115 yr comment_419641 Double plastic bags are fine as long as they are adequately thick. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.