Shipping Fish By Mail

Pegasus

hi guys,

well i sent some frontosa up to new plymouth yesterday,should have arrived this morning. nah how could this happen twice :evil: they won't get there till tomorrow morning around 7morning. company forgot to inform us that they don;t deliver overnight to new plymouth :evil: and a few other places around the country. paid for overnight for a service which doesn't excist.

fish where well packed,with heat pack so should do okay. i hope.

twice i can't beleive it :evil:

will find out tomorrow morn on how fronts are.

shell.

P.S wise to double check courier companies as to their limits,as they don't seem to know themselves.

Which proves that shipping fish is far from idiot-proof and you can suffer losses no matter how much planning ahead you do. Always make sure that the person on the other end understands that there is a high risk involved so they don't come after you when the package spends an extra night on the way or even gets lost entirely...

shessh! lucky i just came on and read that craig! just put my booking in with NZ couriers and realised i had forgotten to tell them same day, i just assumed that they would know after i told them it was LIVE FISH :-? just rang her up and asked her if shed put them under than and she hadnt!!! :o

well, lets hope they get the rest right aye... this lady didnt seem to know much about what happened in auckland, didnt confirm shipping prices- nothing so it better not go haywire :x

thats what the lady told me when i rang IN ADVANCE (monday) to confirm if they would take it. now the &*^%#$@! wont take my lovely fish to me, only day i get off a week too :evil: they will be recieving a phone call from me tomorrow for a nice ear bashing and i will take my business elsewhere for good if they wont take it. they cant change their minds the day before if ive had it confirmed by another person days before (the lady i first spoke to said it was at my own risk which i acknowledge). if every other branch of NZ couriers take it (and sharron and paul have used them in tga) they will take mine too :x

rant over

good night people :lol:

It's like daniel said above, it's in their terms and conditions that they are not liable for any losses incurred with perishable items (incl live fish) but they are pretty good. Most of our stuff in the nth island arrives same day, the only overnight from tga is lower hutt/wellington and the extreme top of the nth island. Your fish will be fine, sharn.

hi guy's,

well good news,all 12 little guys arrived safe and sound :bounce: thanks to the great packaging of the fish,great big thanx's to redwood aquatics.

but no thanx's to the courier company.

you need to check with every delivery on wether they actually ship there,as like with this case they don't tell you,even redwoods aquatics which is in the business of sending fish country wide everyday,they did not know there was places they wouldn't deliver overnight too.they had never been informed,take note they are now. :lol:

the companies will pick your fish up pop them on a truck reguardless.

the rest is history.

hope this bad experience has been of some help to others,sending live fish is stressful enough without this sort of hassle.

lesson learnt: double/triple check companies out,never take it for granted that they will ship everywhere and that one depot knows what the other depot is doing.

the frontosa's were only scanned the once on pick-up,your fish are supposed to be scanned through every depot on their voyage.

also remember the courier companies don't have to carry livestock and perfer not to,there isn't that many around now that will.

cheers shell.

all that stress ended in happyness for me too. managed to get them down here with courier post (the tga depot told me they wont take live fish but ronnie snuck em in hehe). they left at 10am and got here at 5pm. i rung post haste this morning and they seemed really friendly and willing to take them (i want to assume this is all branches but probably best not to hehe) and they were reasonable too.

so my question is... is it EVER stress free :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

i brought some discus a while back from auckland and they were on the overnight courier...and i was all excited in the morning up early all prepared for the new babys ...waiting waiting......no discus???? hmmm

I was getting pretty angry rung the courier company they didn't know anything, the guy who sent them said they had definately gone!!

Finally i tracked them down they were on the wrong truck! so i wouldn't be getting them till the morning. I was pulling my hair out, wishing i hadn't brought them thinking the poor blimin things they will be dead by now. Next morning the courier arrived, he new i was waiting on the delivery and i said to him at the door....ever seen dead expensive fish...wait here and have a look!...I opened the poly box..pulled back the scrunched newspaper to see 5 cute little discus swimming around. The water was cold!!. But they were fine ......i looked up at the courier and nearly gave him a hug ( i didn't though ) :-) happily ever after.

I should become a story teller with some of my novels

good to hear the story ended well :D

yip, discus are pretty hardy when it comes down to it, ronnie was telling me bout the power going out one time and the tanks dropping really low and they were fine! it seems most fish will survive 24-48 hours in a bag, i dont think its the temp that would be a problem, it would be ammonia that would kill them.

Hi there. Regarding packaging. Would a squirt of 'cycle' or 'stress-zyme' etc into the transit bag help slow rising waste levels? And re: packing plants... if they are in a partially inflated plastic bag, the air will cushion them from being crushed. No water except what is on the plant when removed from tank, as sloshing water can damage. If the bag is sealed properly it will remain relatively humid within.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Cheers :lol:

yip, the air in bag trick for the plants works real well, im not up on all the scientific stuff but i suppose because theyre not getting fresh oxygen or something they wont dry up?

people will often put a few chips of ammo-lock or zeolite in the bags to absorb ammonia temporarily. not sure if stress zyme would help, cycle would most likely add junk to the water.

...people will often put a few chips of ammo-lock or zeolite in the bags to absorb ammonia temporarily. not sure if stress zyme would help, cycle would most likely add junk to the water.

Is this safe? How easy is it to over do it and what would happen if you did??

I don't add anything to the water when I'm shipping fish and, thankfully, I have yet to have any problems. I just make sure they have a good water change before sending them and try to remember not to feed them the day before. Some good advise I got from someone who shipped me fish once, you know who you are.

you cant re-use the chips as far as i know, and if you could i wouldnt reccomend it. i think it looks like carbon, chuck a few chips in and it will absorb it on the travels, ditch it as soon as ya get it. newbies are often tricked into thinking they need it in their tanks so it does work.

but i prefer the way Mrskz said, if i can get away with using no chemicals i will :D

• 3 months later...

NZ Couriers do overnight delivery anywhere in the country, i.e. (Invercargill to Auckland) as long as they do not class it as a rural address. Also they will do Sat del for xtra 6$. If it goes astray they will special it to you no matter where but you MUST!!! keep note of the ticket no.

cheers Jim