Can't get my cannister filter to go

Jaide

I got a new Sun Sun filter and filled it with water, turned it on and it just rattles - no water flow at all. Pumping the button caused a few bubbles to come out of the outlet pipe but that's it. The manual says to pump the button (not sure how often or how long for) and "apply electricity" and I assume it should just go. :dno:

You will have to pump away until all the air is out and it is full of water, thats the priming pump, or you will have to do as suggested and suck until the flow starts. My sunsun is older and the pump sticks now so sucking is the way I have to go.

I filled it with water in the hope I wouldn't have to pump the silly thing forever but it didn't work. One quick suck got it going though so I'm away laughing - thanks everyone :)

Oh, and it's very quiet - so I'm very happy :thup:

in the hope I wouldn't have to pump the silly thing forever but it didn't work. One quick suck got it going though so I'm away laughing - thanks everyone :)

Oh, and it's very quiet - so I'm very happy :thup:

See, if you just suck on it until something starts coming out you don't have to keep pumping forever. If you get anything in your mouth you can spit it out. Either way everyone is happy.

What? :gigl:

Yes, haha, you're all very amusing. :rolfl: :sml1: :slfg: :rolfl: :lar:

Now, back on topic..... do the hoses have some sort of shut off mechanism so water won't leak when disconnecting from the cannister?

I got a new Sun Sun filter and filled it with water, turned it on and it just rattles - no water flow at all. Pumping the button caused a few bubbles to come out of the outlet pipe but that's it. The manual says to pump the button (not sure how often or how long for) and "apply electricity" and I assume it should just go. :dno:

I Struggle to prime mine due to extra length of piping I have so I use the garden hose to prime it. Once I have given it a clean and hooked all the hoses back up I just poke the hose up one of my outlets until it comes out one of the inlets then turn it the pump on.

I Struggle to prime mine due to extra length of piping I have so I use the garden hose to prime it. Once I have given it a clean and hooked all the hoses back up I just poke the hose up one of my outlets until it comes out one of the inlets then turn it the pump on.

I do similar with my filters if I've done something dumb like drained enough water out that it dropped below the intake and lost its prime. Only time I ever have to do it. Though I use a hose from the kitchen tap.

Wouldn't that be the equivalent of rinsing your filter media in tap water?

Yes, haha, you're all very amusing. :rolfl: :sml1: :slfg: :rolfl: :lar:

Now, back on topic..... do the hoses have some sort of shut off mechanism so water won't leak when disconnecting from the cannister?

Yes! once you pull the lever to disconnect, it will shut the valve to stop the water.

Ron

Wouldn't that be the equivalent of rinsing your filter media in tap water?

Yeah I guess. It works for me though and I don't get any mini cycles or the like. I guess it just a brief time and only 20L (in my case) of tap water before the tank water is running through the filter again.