cats, anyone else love them this much...

David R

I have to post to this, Sophia so with your logic about that being the cats behavior and it's not your fault, wouldn't that mean when my dog bites someone it isn't his fault as it is his nature to want to bite because he is a dog and that is what they do? And training him not to is not possible because he naturally wants to do so and it would not be fair on him?

What a load of rubbish.

Sorry if this angers anyone but meh, I just finished mowing my lawns and then scraping cat crap off my shoe from someone's damn feline, anyone know of a good diy cat trap?

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sophia. I don't really give a toss what suits what's cats personality... Have had them... Loved them.. Turned the corner... People who treat their cats like kids or people either don't have kids or fail in their relationships with others... Please put your hands up. Get a life cat owners and get an animal that gives a toss. Get a cat eating dog! (Line set and ready... Haha)

My cats were not trained to do anything and I got several of them as adults, the only one I've had from a kitten is the one who causes the trouble! They do not 'like' or 'enjoy' being inside any more than being outside, but they aren't locked in 24/7 either.

Humans are the boss, not the cats, if you show them that a behaviour is acceptable they will continue to behave in that manner.

It has come to nothing Joe as people have their own ideas and cannot accept any others so it degenerates into personal attacks.

The original topic said "Cats, anyone love them this much..." - well some do, some don't.

As this thread will only go around and around with everyone repeating themselves then resorting to rudeness, it will soon be locked as I can't see anything else useful being added. :roll:

Caryl. You are right. There are certain people on here that I have no time for based on their opinions. People who I rated in the past... Such is life... Tis a fish forum after all and that is the info we are after....

But isn't that what a forum is for??? To express ones opinions??? And to base ones "friendships/associations" on someone's personal opinion? Seriously? Sounds like playground antics to me.

I might also point out that I have never nor ever would treat any animal as a child/person! I've worked in the veterinary/animal industry for over 10 years and in my experience there is certainly no place for that, certainly it's not professional and just doesn't "cut the mustard". I made an educated decision long ago not to have any children despite having several successful relationships....though I'm keen to know that you would determine as successful.

It has come to nothing Joe as people have their own ideas and cannot accept any others so it degenerates into personal attacks.

The original topic said "Cats, anyone love them this much..." - well some do, some don't.

As this thread will only go around and around with everyone repeating themselves then resorting to rudeness, it will soon be locked as I can't see anything else useful being added. :roll:

Ok, my thoughts from having studied ecology and I have a cat. Also I haven't read this thread, it's too long.

The only way to really get rid of cats for the benefit of native fauna, is as part of an eradication of all pest mammals at the same time. Cats do help control rats and mice. If you remove cats other pests take their place. And Gareth Morgans figure of how many things cats kill, includes rats and mice.

The only places where I think an eradication of a large area would be Great Barrier Island and Stuart Island, which would be hugely expensive and take a very long time.

There is money in cats, not so much the other animals. Think about what people spend on toys, beds, food, catteries, etc., ferret owners (typically) will not spend the same kind of money, there isn't an industry built around it. Kinda like trying to get rid of trout...

Bingo; money. Clean Green 100% Pure NZ cares about the environment dearly, until there's a buck to be made. Trout, dairy, road vs rail transport, commercial fishing, etc etc etc.

ps, :thup: for keeping your cats well!!

try getting a vet to put down a cat that isn't dying - they won't do it.

we had our perfectly healthy cat put down years ago because of behavioral issues, she was attacking my wife on a daily basis and drawing blood...

I am happy for this thread to keep going if opinions offered stop being personal and aimed at other posters. Some have been getting that way and it is unnecessary and uncalled for.

If nothing else, Gareth Morgan (I did not see the programme mentioned) has got people thinking about the subject of cats and the problems they cause to others.

I have just re-homed my daughter's 3 cats which have been living with us since November. Despite having the 3 here, our yard is constantly full of cats from elsewhere. I know where 4 of them live (neighbours) but have no idea where the others come from. They poo on the lawn and garden, eye the fish in the pond (they will not live long if I catch one fishing!) and wander up and down under the verandah yowling at night and sometimes fighting, driving us nuts. One will come inside given half the chance and we can't leave doors open. They also like to sit on the black cloth roofs of 2 of our cars, making an awful mess.

Several neighbours have dogs. These are all restrained in their own yards and not a problem. Cat owners should be made to do the same. Simple.

According to Gareth Morgan "The SPCA is single-handedly destroying native species" :facepalm: I'm worried about this guy...

the SPCA is releasing cats into the wild

instead of putting them down if they can't find a new home for them and that is what worries me... (Gareth Morgan is just stirring and makes people think but he also offered to pay SPCA $5 for each cat they put down instead to release back into the wild)

Bob from SPCA said 'let nature do it, it will balance itself out', I am even more worried about that guy... :dunno:

The SPCA stopped trapping and euthanising stray cats a little while back and replaced it with their TNR policy. Trap, neuter, release. They claim this is more humane than putting the animals down. This applies to stray cats (urban areas rather than bush etc). The SPCA differentiates between stray cats and feral cats (though the only real difference is location). Go to the SPCA site and search TNR.

The SPCA stopped trapping and euthanising stray cats a little while back and replaced it with their TNR policy. Trap, neuter, release. They claim this is more humane than putting the animals down. This applies to stray cats (urban areas rather than bush etc). The SPCA differentiates between stray cats and feral cats (though the only real difference is location). Go to the SPCA site and search TNR.

the stray pet cat meows at them

the feral one spits

the SPCA is releasing cats into the wild

instead of putting them down if they can't find a new home for them and that is what worries me... (Gareth Morgan is just stirring and makes people think but he also offered to pay SPCA $5 for each cat they put down instead to release back into the wild)

gareth morgan should just fund the cost of euthanising them all