Considering getting a Facebook page...

Joe

IMO facebook really comes into its own as you get older and your circle of friends has grown and spread a bit. I have regular contact with school friends who live in oz, Germany, Brasil, etc etc, as well as others I have met along the way living in different places, former workmates who have made the move to WA to work in the mines or hauling grain etc. Its great to be able to keep in touch "loosely" with out actually having a conversation (as anti-social as that may sound, it doesn't mean you have less conversation, it just means you can see pics or read about experiences in between the conversations at your leisure). Its also good for following bands you're interested in, or other things (like FNZAS or HFF for example).

I'm not saying you shouldn't have one at your age Joe, but just keep its importance in perspective and don't become one of those who live their lives thru facebook/twitter/instagram. ;)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one of those who live their lives thru facebook/twitter/instagram. ;)

The kids who think they're "cooler" than you cause they have more followers :facepalm: Personally anyone who posts that crap gets unsubscribed, I'm still their friend and all but just never see their content again. The posts I really enjoy are the ones about fish, cool destinations and special events my friends have been to. The everyday whingers are pathetic :roll:

Thanks for your help everyone! :hail:

I would definintely not post any post any private information or details or anything. Also I won't be playing games or downloading applications or anything like that.

At this stage though I'm not sure if it's really worth the hassle... Also my life isn't particularly exciting so I don't know what I'd post on it. I would certainly not post anything about fish, because it would bore everyone to death!

My friends just share funny photos or photos from holidays they've been on or stuff that they've been up to, or drawings that they've done or funny memes and stuff like that.

It's not private? :o

Nope if you have had private converstations with somebody a few years ago, search back that far on your wall and it should be posted for the world to see. something to do with when fb changed there privacy settings a few months ago. everything is public on fb unless you change your settings. I personaly think it should be the other way around. but how would fb make money that way?

Nope if you have had private converstations with somebody a few years ago, search back that far on your wall and it should be posted for the world to see. something to do with when fb changed there privacy settings a few months ago. everything is public on fb unless you change your settings. I personaly think it should be the other way around. but how would fb make money that way?

Just scrolled back to 1995 on my FB (as far as it goes back) and found no posts of my private messages anywhere.

These PMs are private. I image a multi-billion dollar company would not risk 'accidentally' posting private messages in public without at least fixing it.

Of course someone, somewhere has access to reading these. Same goes for text messages, e-mails, PMs. Its part of life. You have to put some thought into what you're saying. But in the end, I doubt the person reading it will really care.

i scrolled back to around 3 years ago on my page and found private messeges, my account setting were set on default yours may have been diffrent. I reed one of thoese OMG you need to change blah blah blah posts one day and for a change actualy followed it and found my pm's. The day after i left facebook.

from memory it was on the left hand side and they looked like standard wall post's until i paid a little more attention and reed through them and worked out some were actualy private messeges.

Probably true.

@ Joe

My opinion is: It is entirely up to you whether you want FB or not.

In terms of privacy, it depends on what you want. Its a social media site, its sole purpose is to share. And if you want total anonymity the internet isn't for you. Unless you create alias' and run behind multiple proxies.

A more real concern with PMs being not private is your friends telling others. This will happen more often than anything else.

If the article I posted above worries you, you can always create a secondary email just for FB - like I have.

It is a pretty user friendly place and I have never had any problems with it. All I use it for these days is keeping in touch with friends back home - once every few weeks - and keeping up to date with whats happening here at uni.

If you want funny pictures and memes I suggest other sites. (the memes on FB are just awful and always used incorrectly anyway)

Don't confuse posting on someone's wall with a private message. Posts on a wall, by default are public(Relatively)

I dont have the old posts on my wall, but then again I am always on top of my security settings, so that may be why.

Not that I am encouraging you to lie or any thing but face book only has as much personal information on you as you give it. So if you are so worried about them abusing/selling your personal information dont give them any.

and the problems with apps using your information, dont use apps (most of them are really lame any way).

Never post anything on FB that you don't want someone to see and you will be fine. 8)

This is very true, but the same can be said about any type of communication, emails can be intercepted as can text, letters, basicly anything big brother wants big brother can have

I thought the whole PM thing was debunked. as far as I can remember FB never had a real PM system untill about 4 years ago and every thing was done with wall posts...

I use it to keep in contact with a few friends etc but if I really want to 'communicate' with some one I either email or phone

At this stage though I'm not sure if it's really worth the hassle... Also my life isn't particularly exciting so I don't know what I'd post on it. I would certainly not post anything about fish, because it would bore everyone to death!

My friends just share funny photos or photos from holidays they've been on or stuff that they've been up to, or drawings that they've done or funny memes and stuff like that.

Depends on who you have as "friends", I post fish stuff even tho the bulk of people I have on FB probably aren't interested, but I know there are some fish-geeks (and some others who are just mildly curious) out there.

As Caryl said, no bank details, no street addresses, no nude-selfies, no helping Nigerian princes smuggle money and you'll be sweet. Just common sense really.

:P