Considering getting a Facebook page...

Joe

Hello everyone,

I have never used Facebook and I've never had anything to do with it and I don't particularly want a Facebook page. But my friends use it a lot and they all keep saying I should get one. I am terrible at keeping in touch with my friends outside of school, but I'm on the computer a lot so I am thinking it might be a good idea. But I've heard a lot of horror stories about cyber bullying leading to suicide and stuff like that. Now I don't think something like that would happen to me, but the interwebs are full of nasty stuff so I never know. Also my friends are all really nice people, none of them are creeps and they don't swear and they don't post vulgar images or anything nasty on their Facebook pages (I know this because one of my friends added my sister as a friend and she showed me his page and the pages of some of my other friends). I would also only talk to my friends on Facebook; I wouldn't add other people I don't know (e.g. my friend's friends...) because I don't know them and I am not interested in talking to them because they are complete strangers and I don't know what they're like as people.

So I just want to know if there's anything I should be aware of or take into consideration. I wouldn't want to be hacked or have any of my details stolen or stuff like that. Any advice, help, suggestions or personal experience you could all give me would be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks,

Joe

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just don't put any details on it and make sure your privacy settings are set so only your friends can see your page.

I have one, just so I can keep track of the kids. You will have to see a lot of rubbish that you wonder why people would bother posting in the first place but that is part and parcel of Facebook, it attracts idiots and those who think the world is interested in every little thing they do.

It is a great way for friends and families to keep in touch when they are spread over the country, or world.

Hacking is highly unlikely unless you log into Facebook via a computer riddled with viruses.

In terms of privacy and preventing bullying, set your page as I'd have mine set so no one can search for you by name, only you can find them really. And if anyone does find you, all they'll see is your profile photo and name.

Facebook is a great social tool if used wisely, which I'm sure you will do :)

A. I dont know of any one who has had there facebook 'hacked', only had friends guess/workout/learn other friends pass words, and people saying that there facebook was 'hacked' is one of my pet peeves, I find it really annoying.

B. face book is really good for keeping in touch of friends, and communicating with them, but take it from some one who avoided it for a long time, before eventually joining, It is very easy to get 'addicted' and spend way to much time on it (It is worse then forums for that in my opinion).

C. As for the bullying issue, it is very easy to change your facebook settings to stop people you dont like from communicating to you on it.

Have a read about the privacy settings and account settings because things you post such as photos and comments can end up in full view of the world, or copied.

Also, be careful what you post as the kids who bully you at school will possibly try to bully you there too. You can block people but I don't think it stops them sending private messages. I always think about whether I'd want everyone knowing what I post before I post it.

It's good for sharing photos with people, and you restrict who can see them as well.

I used facebook for quite a while, adding old school friends and the like, but after a while I found it draining. I am not that much of a sociable person really. :sml2:

99% of the problems people experience on social media are due to not having it set up correctly in the first place.

As long as you keep it private, and only add people you know really well, you won't have any problems.

Also, be careful about the games you play and the applications you add through facebook .

When you add something, it will ask you to accept a disclaimer which tells you what information it will access.

Lots of them can access all of your private information , and some of them are quite malicious with it - e.g sending messages to your friends list advertising products without your knowledge.

You can definitely block people and messages from certain people.

You can also choose who sees what you post, each time you post something.

If you don't want the world to see your photos , you can set it so only people you have added as friends can see them.

There are lots of tutorials on the web , which will teach you how to setup privacy , account settings and the likes.

It's basically all about setup, and being smart about what you post / use.

Have a read about the privacy settings and account settings because things you post such as photos and comments can end up in full view of the world, or copied.

I think regardless of privacy settings, it still is very open to the public somehow as media can often quote status updates and I'm sure they're not friends with these people so privacy settings don't seem to mean much. Also, friends can tag you in pics without your permission which is also public (but you can untag yourself but that's a pain and if it's embarrassing and you haven't untagged yourself before all your friends see...)

For example, my sister never uses it - she opened an account and that's it. She has about 9 friends. One of them constantly tags her in pics of her and as my sister never visits FB, she has no idea that pics of her are open for all her friends to see (and possibly the friend's friends who tagged her in the first place).

To sum up: there's no such thing as privacy in FB.

Don't bother...its full of crap

+1

how many times can your type "went to school today, nothing happened"

or else you may be into "did you hear what so and so said about so and so??? OMG"

no bodies life is that exciting that they need that sort of page no matter what they think... except maybe Bear Grylls

waste of time dude, i was a full fb addict for at least 4 years. every possible moement i was on it. I dont know how it snowballed but it did. have been clean for 5 weeks now.

Only thing I miss from is it being able to quickly contact people from tech regarding homework, but that can be simply fixed by asking for phone numbers. It is made out to be a life nessecity, but in actual fact it isnt even close. life is simple without it.

I feel a lot of people that post a lot of junk on fb have a desre to fit in, the desire to have someone you may not even smile at in the street "like' some rubbish they posted is unbeliveable in people. The gratification they must desire for someone to talk/comment on them/there post's can be second to none. People have the desire to fit in this helps them do so. This is all humans nature ofcourse, the desire to fit in is incredible on FB

look at what FB it self is trying to achive $$$$ there only incentive is to make money, the more people on it the more money they get, subliminal messeges via advertising on it is unbelevable, the ability for them to track what you do to personalise things you see is herendise. they are trying to take a big part of your life, and in my opinion FB will be this generations crack cocaine.

I used and was on all the time, everyday. And the I was like, "I can be doing so much more with my life than going on FB!" so I went off it for just under 2 years, I've come back on recently to keep in contact with friends and family overseas. And go on it a few times a fortnight about 5mins each time. I spend more time browsing this forum than I do FB. All in all, IT'S WASTE OF TIME! They Say You Have Privacy But It's A Load Of BS, the just track what you do on the Internet and collect as much info about you as possible.

I used and was on all the time, everyday. And the I was like, "I can be doing so much more with my life than going on FB!" so I went off it for just under 2 years, I've come back on recently to keep in contact with friends and family overseas. And go on it a few times a fortnight about 5mins each time. I spend more time browsing this forum than I do FB. All in all, IT'S WASTE OF TIME! They Say You Have Privacy But It's A Load Of BS, the just track what you do on the Internet and collect as much info about you as possible.

:bow::bow::bow: AMEN

I was shocked that private messeges from 4 years ago had been posted on my wall. pure disgusting, I have given and recived bank details via PM's then all of a sudden the whole world could see it

I tend to use FB to upload photos to show select friends what I've been up to if it's interesting and update my status once every week or two. Hard out posters are bothersome and soon get deleted or unsubscribed. It's just how you use it.

What I don't like about facebook is how social people use it compared to non social people like me. I get essentially no contact from some members of my family unless I go to visit them on facebook because it has become some people's primary method of communicating. It would be handy for me if I was that sort of person but I'm not so I end up feeling excluded and worse than if I never had any contact with them at all hahaha....

What I don't like about facebook is how social people use it compared to non social people like me. I get essentially no contact from some members of my family unless I go to visit them on facebook because it has become some people's primary method of communicating. It would be handy for me if I was that sort of person but I'm not so I end up feeling excluded and worse than if I never had any contact with them at all hahaha....

I used it to be in touch with my son but I hate the PM thing on it (which isn't private btw) and he uses the chat thing which I really, really hate and refuse to use. I have tried emails or msn with him but no joy. As Mum uses the chat thing, she's in touch with him so can relay his news to me :-?

I think FB makes people egotistical - all this "look at me, look at me!" stuff as they go on and on about stuff they're doing which is often very uninteresting. It's like reading someone's daily diary and what they do every day is very snoresome.

I hate the spam too, I hide people who do nothing but share pics all day long :roll: