Fish you've regretted purchasing, selling or not buying

Joe

What fish do you regret purchasing or selling, or fish that you wish you had bought but instead decided to leave them at the shop?

I really regret selling my Orange Flash cockatoos. They were very peaceful and had lovely personalities and their colouration was really nice :tears: And they hadn't even grown much when I took them back to the shop. The biggest was only about 5cm including the tail. Here's a photo of him:

130212015.jpg

I also regret not buying some Sundadanio axelrodi when they were imported, and by the time I convinced myself of how much I wanted them they had all sold in the shops :(

And I kind of regret buying the Super Red cockatoo - he's really cool, and I'd love to buy a female and breed them, but he's the most aggressive fish I've ever owned and continuously harasses my female trifasciata and the Licorice Gouramis, so I have put him back in the net breeder. In one of my breeding tanks I have a pair of Apistogramma trifasciata, and I'm going to put my Green Neons in the other one. So I don't really have anywhere else to put him.

I think I'll move the couch out of my room, put my bed where the couch is, and then I will have room for a couple more tanks :wink:

I regret giving up my Mutant gold Severum, had him for 5 years, no top jaw just a bottom jaw that flapped up and down like the aliens from the muppet show. looked kinda like this one but gold form and a bit less top jaw.sdc151409392326.jpg

might have to hunt him down again when I have a bigger tank.

I've never regretted purchasing any fish, they are all perfect in their own ways

I regretted having 2 sparkling gourami. They were pretty interesting little fish but I would have had much more CPD fry if they hadn't been chomping on the eggs. Other than that I think I'm happy with all my fish choices, even if some were a little short lived.

I regretted both selling and buying most of my fighters. Most of them were super agro and sensitive but they're really cool characters and look awesome so it's sad to see them go. The fish I regret most would have to be a 6" male EBJD, he ate my danios and black orchid PK but refused to eat the pellets I tried to feed him :an!gry But I got him for free so I passed him on for free.

• 6 months later...

I don't regret selling my babies of anything that I've bred, but I do regret selling or giving away any adult fish.

I need to sell on some discus soon as I have too many in the tank and am regretting having to do it already :tears:

I would like to also add that I wish I hadnt sold my Albino Oscar when I went from big nastys to Africans, I should of set up a tank to keep only him/her in. Was such a stunner and now I want another

really, really wish i had kept my albino red oscar. she's in a mates 1200l tank now, and i visit her often. i miss her. i miss keeping oscars. i have been seriously considering moving all my fish on and investing in another 600+ litre tank for a pair.

I "regret" selling my first black aro, but having moved house 12 times in three different cities in the 11 or so years since then I know there is no way I could ever have maintained the size tank I needed to keep it.

TBH I don't have many such regrets, perhaps the only other fish I could have actually avoided was selling my big clown loaches, everything else I've sold has been to make way for something cooler or because of downsizing tanks. As for fish I regretted buying, not much springs to mind. Even my first firemouth that rapidly decimated my original community tank I don't regret as it sparked an interest in cichlids.

Actually, I really regret not buying a big group of L46 10-15 years ago when they were fairly frequently available and well priced.....

:lol:

Actually, I really regret not buying a big group of L46 10-15 years ago when they were fairly frequently available and well priced.....

:lol:

Now you mention it i had the chance to buy a blue eye in sydney about 10 years ago for the mid $200AU mark now there in excess of $4000NZD

Yep they're #2 on the 'should have bought hundreds before they were rare' list! I recall having a conversation with the LFS owner up here years ago along the lines of "why would you pay fancy-pleco-price (probably ~$100 at the time) for something that looks like a boring old common pleco with a blue eyes".....

:facepalm: