GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

F15hguy

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SPCA are not the problem it is the pollies in the beehive. If they decide fish are not animals then no one is being cruel to animals. If they bought in laws to say that fish are animals all the people that catch trout, salmon etc and all the commercial fishermen would run the risk of spending time at the pleasure of her majesty for animal cruelty. The cruelty you see here is nothing compared to what else goes on out there in the big bad world.

You can ring the SPCA and report it, they will still check it out. I did that with a restaurant that had a tank of huge goldfish in the window of their shop that had no filter and was only half full of water. It wasn't on their urgent list but they must have done something as I went past a few days later and there was more water in the tank at least.

prevention is ensuring the owners are knowledgeable.

this guy has somehow been taught that Oxygen weed negates the need of water movement, and that cold water tank require less water changes (among innumerable other things) and I hear these from people every day,

prevention is finding the people teaching these things and either educating them or wringing their necks

I once created a gmail for the Goldfish Protection League and sent an email to someone at my work that had a goldfish bowl that was half evaporated. I sent her an email that we've been advised that she has not been properly taking care of her goldfish and she has 48 hours to improve conditions or the goldfish will be confiscated. :)

I can't get into that account now though. Can't remember the password.:(

I once created a gmail for the Goldfish Protection League and sent an email to someone at my work that had a goldfish bowl that was half evaporated. I sent her an email that we've been advised that she has not been properly taking care of her goldfish and she has 48 hours to improve conditions or the goldfish will be confiscated. :)

I can't get into that account now though. Can't remember the password.:(

:rotf: Did she improve the goldfish's life as a result ?

Pollies have to do an IQ test before applying (and get a result less than thirty to be accepted). They also react to political pressure and imagine how much pressure would be applied by the fishing lobby--both recreational and commercial if it was no longer acceptable to do what they do. It would make a goldfish in a bowl grateful to be alive.

Sorry, you are correct LA

Animal Welfare Act 1999

animal—

(a) means any live member of the animal kingdom that is—

(i) a mammal; or

(ii) a bird; or

(iii) a reptile; or

(iv) an amphibian; or

(v) a fish (bony or cartilaginous); or

(vi) any octopus, squid, crab, lobster, or crayfish (including freshwater crayfish); or

(vii) any other member of the animal kingdom which is declared from time to time by the Governor-General, by Order in Council, to be an animal for the purposes of this Act; and

(b) includes any mammalian foetus, or any avian or reptilian pre-hatched young, that is in the last half of its period of gestation or development; and

© includes any marsupial pouch young; but

(d) does not include—

(i) a human being; or

(ii) except as provided in paragraph (b) or paragraph ©, any animal in the pre-natal, pre-hatched, larval, or other such developmental stage

Sorry, you are correct LA

Animal Welfare Act 1999

animal—

(a) means any live member of the animal kingdom that is—

(i) a mammal; or

(ii) a bird; or

(iii) a reptile; or

(iv) an amphibian; or

(v) a fish (bony or cartilaginous); or

(vi) any octopus, squid, crab, lobster, or crayfish (including freshwater crayfish); or

(vii) any other member of the animal kingdom which is declared from time to time by the Governor-General, by Order in Council, to be an animal for the purposes of this Act; and

(b) includes any mammalian foetus, or any avian or reptilian pre-hatched young, that is in the last half of its period of gestation or development; and

© includes any marsupial pouch young; but

(d) does not include—

(i) a human being; or

(ii) except as provided in paragraph (b) or paragraph ©, any animal in the pre-natal, pre-hatched, larval, or other such developmental stage

not on their to enforce list methinks

The RSPCA covers the care of goldfish in containers. Their care comes under the animal welfare act ( UK).

See http://www.rspca.org.uk/utilities/faq/- ... dfishBowls

Don't know what the situation is in NZ. But I found this which looks inaccurate

http://www.spcaotago.org.nz/animal-advice/fish-advice/

Oh, I see my coldwater tanks don't need filters, I wish someone had told me that be fore I brought filters for the all :rotf:

3. A water filter operated by a small electric motor will help to keep the tank clean, but is not essential for coldwater fish.