GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

F15hguy

I have to say.. and this is brave on here.. My first fish was a betta in a vase :facepalm: "Oh they don't need heaters!" "Oh they LIKE stagnant water!" "You don't need to filter cold water!" "They're 'hardy'" even "They live longer in cold water" :facepalm: FFS.. I had heard from a ridiculously huge number of people that this was the way it was. Quite quickly I realised a heater was absolutely essential, then decided that although I was doing massive daily water changes , the ammonia might be right but what about the poor fricken fish and the shock of it all!!!

Skip forward.. (make sure you do this :) )and I have 9 heated, well filtered, fully cycled planted/driftwooded/rocked tanks, a good variety of foods and an understanding of the necessary elements to keeping HAPPY, healthy fish.

So.. Yes education is key, not everyone wants to be a moron and I was quite enthusiastic to be cured myself.

So keep giving people crap when they're not doing it right, this TM guy might not take it on but someone will :) I know the staunch stance on this forum and another on Betta care is what spurred me to do my own research.. AND I was horrified.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi John,

Thank you for your contact and sorry for the delay in reply.

Captive fish are given the same status under the animal welfare act as cats and dogs. The SPCA can take action if water quality is poor or if ammonia levels become a problem due to overcrowding or lack of cleaning. An owner is responsible for attending to their physical health and behavioural needs and responding to injury or disease.

Other animals such as cats, dogs, pigs and sheep have their particular needs laid out in what is called a ‘code of welfare’. There is not currently one for fish but there is sound research on some aspects of their care.

Any group can submit a draft code of welfare to the National Animal Welfare Advisory Committee for development into a code of welfare. This process that has been in place since 1999 is under review however and there is a proposal that these codes will move to regulations that are directly enforceable.

If this motion is passed public will be consulted as to how regulations are developed and what is included. At this time you could submit a proposal as to regulations and guidelines of fish care.

In the meantime I would be happy to receive any information you may have expertise in in terms of requirements for fish. This could be done by emailing me or you may choose to contact RSPCA National office with any information.

regards

Jason Blair

Animal Welfare Inspector

Tauranga SPCA

Yeah something needs to be done about the fish, but we can't go buying every single fish that's in a small tank, a better approach to stopping future circumstances is the above idea.

A few of us have notified TradeMe about the listing. However, the most that TradeMe could do is pull the listing, which is dooming that fish to its nearly 7L fate.

The best option for the fish would be to buy it and re-home it, but that is not preventing this issue from arising again.

*cough*

A few of us have notified TradeMe about the listing. However, the most that TradeMe could do is pull the listing, which is dooming that fish to its nearly 7L fate.

The best option for the fish would be to buy it and re-home it, but that is not preventing this issue from arising again.

Reporting the listing doesn't solve the problem does it? Won't it just get the listing removed and Then the fish can't get sold and it will be stuck in that bowl.

well said hali,

I'm sure a lot of people here would shudder if the recalled their first attempts, mine was a black moor in a 10L bowl when I was 5yrs old, lasted a full 3 weeks. second attempt was a properly set up community tank, I think the last of the original occupants was a kuhli loach of around 7-8 years old (wonderful staff member at a local (and now closed) pet store set me up and helped me fund it by buying my guppies for 50c each).

one person who tried to teach instead of trying to make money and look what happened ...

I don't actually want the fish but I would have looked after him until someone else came to get him from me.

If you want him but can't get over this way for a while I can go and pick him up and he can live in a nice big bucket with fresh water and some live bugs... that would be a palace compared to where he's been.