May 10, 201214 yr comment_483247 Hi all, I just read a post about someone working in IT. At the bottom of the post, another member mentioned that they are also in IT. I remembered another post from someone who had their car covered in aerials... This got me thinking... Is there a link between Fishkeepers and computer enthusiasts? I'm pretty keen on both :thup: Be interesting to see how many of us are and how many are not :dunno: Report
May 10, 201214 yr comment_483251 I do computer repairs for a bit of extra cash. Be interesting to see how many off here are computery-people :smln: Report
May 10, 201214 yr comment_483256 Perhaps there is a link between IT minded people and forum posting rather than fishkeepers per se. A non IT person here, tho DH is. Report
May 10, 201214 yr comment_483260 I quite enjoy both, not sure what the connection is though. Also enjoy science so when you learn something new in biology or chemistry or even physics you can apply it to fish keeping Report
May 10, 201214 yr comment_483276 I'm an IT Manager .. love fishkeeping. I want to set up a tank at work even. I know another IT Manager who already has lots of tanks at work. Report
May 10, 201214 yr comment_483278 Used to be in IT, now self employed grass demolisher - but have a love of both fish and IT Report
May 10, 201214 yr comment_483283 Not me...the only "IT" about me...is when I use the word it :gigl: Caper Report
May 10, 201214 yr comment_483288 The car with all the aerials belongs to my husband. We own a computer company and he is an Amateur Radio operator. I think, as said, computer people are more likely to use forums than there being a specific link but there do seem to be a large number of computer enthusiasts in the fish keeping world! :happy2: Report
May 10, 201214 yr comment_483298 There are also a few beekeepers in the IT world, what does that make me, a beekeeper/fishkeeper/passing interest in IT*? * Got UK qualifications but never entered into the field... Report
May 10, 201214 yr comment_483302 Nerds! :smln: I do networking and IT security for a large private company. Used to do consulting, but I got sick of the constant travel and pressure. I still get a few international trips each year, but it's usually for audits rather than troubleshooting and roll-outs. We have a great in-house team, and the exec and board are closely aligned with IT - they don't mind spending if the benefits are there. A nice change from the public sector! Investigating Splunk for SIEM plus centralised logging and reporting at the moment - pretty cool stuff. I'll be off to Vegas for a Splunk user conference later in the year :bounce: That's one of the cool things about IT, lots of new toys to play with. If you are thinking of IT for a career, I suggest getting just enough education to get you a foot in the door with an IT provider, then learn on the job and do industry specific courses. A co-worker who left for her OE a few years ago got me into fishies. Now I wonder why I didn't do it sooner Report
May 10, 201214 yr comment_483303 Perhaps there is a link between IT minded people and forum posting rather than fishkeepers per se. A non IT person here, tho DH is. I think that's probably the major factor there. Report
May 11, 201214 yr Author comment_483307 I'm not so sure about the forum posting... I'm not a fan of forums. This is the only one I read and post on, and that's because it has relevant and useful information - A lot of forums do not. Interesting to see that a lot of fishkeepers are computer/technically-minded. Obviously there will be some that are not, but it looks like there are grounds for a connection between the two. Report
May 11, 201214 yr comment_483365 Work in admin, good with systems and trained users. Love technology always have. Been in the fish keeping hobby for 26 years. Report
May 12, 201214 yr comment_483444 IT is pretty pervasive these days, and you will need to use a computer to even access this board! My first summer project was to analyse the output of the fetal heart rate monitors used at National Women's back in the 1970s. We recorded the output of these machines and took it to the DSIR for analysis on their PDP-11s ( I think ). One of the scientists there did the analysis for us which was lucky because the amount of Fortran I knew would not have been up to the task! Fortunately the results we got reassured the obstetricians. And the experience put me off live bearers :slfg: Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.