How To Anaesthetise Fish?

Li@m

Quick may be great to end suffering of the fish, but I have to live with it. Thankfully I'm not there yet, I havn't needed to kill any off.

I heard freezing them was quick and painless. Prob not as quick as a brick, but much less SQUISH for my conscience.

freezing is a slow death

Oh, I don't know what I would ever do if I had to anaesthetise a fishie. I cringe at all of this thread. Thankfully I have only had deaths no had to kill options :tears:

The whole cull/anaethetise issue is something that anyone intending to breed fish needs to think about before they start. In my line of siamese fighter breeding, I can and have ended up, many times, with over 300 fry at 1-2cm (at this size they are going to survive), predominately males - therefore its something that I most certainly have to face. Not only is it when the spawns are too large but anything not good quality or pure breeds need to be removed or at the least not passed on to others for breeding. Too often I see ''rubbish'' out on offer.

but why cull the fish if there are people out there willing to have the fish even if there intentions arent for breeding alot of people just want nice looking fish.i fully understand the culling with some species but not others

+1 as long as they're not deformed I feel culling is unnecessary (unless you are pure breeding). Species like guppies and most other live bearers, canbe culled due to them quickly being populated.

For culling large numbers of small fry, I prefer to place them in an ice cream container with tank water and put in the freezer for an hour. Their metabolism slows down such that they do not feel any pain. After all, this is the legal method for preparing Rock Lobster for cooking.

If I have only a couple to cull or large fish I use a knife to sever the spinal column just behind the head. Quick but messy.

+1 as long as they're not deformed I feel culling is unnecessary (unless you are pure breeding). Species like guppies and most other live bearers, canbe culled due to them quickly being populated.

With guppies, or I guess, fighters for that matter, most people like the males with their long showy tails. Females are much harder to get rid of in any numbers. You also get a few guppies with deformed spines or tails and personally I dont want to pass these fish on. I agree with Adrienne, if you are going to breed species that produce a large amount of fry, then culling is a fact of life. From my point of view, a sharp blow to the head, or physically cutting off or squashing the head, is a very quick death, while putting a fish in the freezer is much slower.