Victim's of Marimon Balls"

Jaxxnz

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes i understand the harm to be done to the enviroment with such things but would it really affect our waterways how much research have maf done on this? to be honest i dont want the stuff nor care for illegal stuff maf do a good job sometimes but everyone getting up and arms about abit of moss i mean its not like any of us are intentionally going and releasing things in our waterways i know nobody here would do it.i never said that it was ok to break rules just saying there going to get broken and people should just lighten up abit you know like maybe RELAX :sml2:

I don't find it very relaxing when someone thinks it is funny to illegally import plants then is prepared to blah on about it on a public forum which is monitored by maf when we are trying to develop a co operative relationship with these people in the hope that our hobby might improve.

This is exactly what serious fishkeepers do not need.

ok but im not the one laughing at that am i.we all know that the quality of fish in nz is very limited and we all know that some of the amazing fish are not allowed in for good reason we all understand that and i think its very wrong if any fish got into our waterways that could upset the balance of the eco system.you maybe a serious fishkepper along with many others but whos to say i am not.im not stating nor will i ever that it is ok to accept illegal stuff all i am saying is that rules are broken and at the end of the day its the persons choice to take that risk.i dont think it really even needed this much hoohah over a plant personally but if no one has better things to do then critise people rather than help them which i have witnessed contsantly on here no ones willing to help they just give there 2 cents worth and thats it no real willingness to help i eman we all started and needed help so why not give it in return.people on here.education is always best.anyways just take advise lighten up and give advise :happy1: :happy1:

Zurio - I think that perhaps you were not party to the original thread before Jaxxnz purchased the plant. He/she was told then that it was a plant that was illegally brought into the country but still went ahead and purchased it. He/she made the statement on this forum that they were going to do so.

As a FNZAS member I can not be seen to condone this activity therefore I am obligated to say so. Obviously - as in my previous post - its like banging ones head against a brick wall.

Illegal importing is a serious matter.

Take a look here. Many of you here would not have been around these forums at the time this happened.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/media/12-06-07/offending

yes i understand the harm to be done to the enviroment with such things but would it really affect our waterways how much research have maf done on this? to be honest i dont want the stuff nor care for illegal stuff maf do a good job sometimes but everyone getting up and arms about abit of moss i mean its not like any of us are intentionally going and releasing things in our waterways i know nobody here would do it.i never said that it was ok to break rules just saying there going to get broken and people should just lighten up abit you know like maybe RELAX :sml2:

Do the fish Gambusia or Koi Carp not come to mind? Or Didymo algae? They are all introduced, some intentionally some not but look at the damage they have caused. Why risk it? Have you any idea of the cost and time involved in researching an organisms suitability to be introduced into the country? Do some research via the net and you will see Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum) is a huge cost to NZ. It was brought in as a plant to breed goldfish in. You have to look at the big picture.

You say lighten up. Why?? You think it is ok to just turn your back and ignore or forget something like this. Illegal importation is not only that, illegal, but it poses a huge risk to our unique environment. Relaxing and "lightening up"as you suggest would be giving the people an impression that it is ok to do these things. It is not.

He has not been on the site for a few years but called himself plantman.

I bought a plant from him through Trademe (Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata "Cuba'). I didn't suspect it had been imported illegally and subsequently had a visit from Maf biosecurity. I assumed he was a reputable dealer.

Luckily the plant had died and Maf were happy but it could have just as easily gone the other way with all my plants and fish destroyed.

I assume others bought plants as well and received a visit, and they may well have not been so lucky.

Oh true, but when they scanned it wouldn't it come up differently?

Yes it would come up differently but the amount of time, money and effort they'd have to put in to catch every piece of contraband that comes into New Zealand just makes scanning all the packages that come in too unrealistic.

Just had a read through this thread and I'm actually quite disgusted by some member's disregard for this country's laws. Sure, you might think they're silly cause you can't get a slightly different fish or a prettier looking plant like the rest of the world, but believe it or not, they're here for a reason. Unless you've tested such plants and fish in a sample of New Zealand stream, who are you to say whether they will thrive or not? Is getting the latest fish or plant, an international hype that will have died down in half a year anyway, really worth risking the truly unique and beautiful ecosystem, flora and fauna we have here in New Zealand? If your answer is yes then you really need to rethink your residency in this country.

TL;DR: The laws are here for a reason, get out of the country if you can't follow them.

Ya know how gorse is a massive issue here in NZ?

Someone thought it would be a great hedge. That's right, a hedge. They relaxed, didn't maintain it, and look what happened.

Ya know how feral rabbits are a big issue for farmers? People brought them over for game, to hunt, to help make things feel like home. They relaxed, the rabbits got out of control, and now they're a pest.

Ya know sparrows? Those awesome little birds?

Again, someone imported them to help it feel like home. It got out of control, and now they're a pest. Most people don't mind them, but anyone working at an airport will happily explain that a sparrow in an engine isn't fun.

And like everything else here in NZ, these pets grew out of control. NZ is a great place for things to flourish, as residents we have to help MAF and the other authorities to protect what is already here. They're here to help.

It's not rocket science. Do you really want to be responsible for starting the next mega pest, just for your tank to have a new plant?

A lot of them weren't released as pets. Google "Acclimitisation society" There were societies set up specifically to introduce European animals under the belief that Europeans could not survive and would not feel comfortable without the animals they were used to. Hedgehogs were one animal they introduced, not because there was any economic reason for it but because they thought it was necessary for poms to survive.

The problem is not necessarily whether the illegally introduced plant or fish can establish itself in our waterways, but what vectors for disease and parasites it may be carrying that have the potential to harm our ecosystems.

The reason gorse is left is because the seeds germinate over many many years and it is very difficult to get rid of.

+1 its a pain in the ass to get rid of. I guy i knew nearly got blinded when he got hit by one of the thorns when he was clearing gorse.