Victim's of Marimon Balls"

Jaxxnz

You better watch out! you better not hide.."

MAF is coming.. to your door.... :facepalm:

Hey guy had a visted from MAF this moring regards to the purchased of Marimo balls..

i guessing a couple of members here must be in the same boat as I... :slfg:

They said its was the real Marimo balls, i thg i got cons with moss :slfg:

The poor chick seller from trademe is going to get a hard time for MAf..

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i spy with my little eyes some starting M.... :slfg:

they told me i was the only 1 here in Aucklnad who brought it..in total there were 7 people who purchased it the rest of the purchaser were from the south island.. :digH:

Maf guy from ChC pay a special visted to Akld to see my fish tank..

cough.. :digH: :mbh:

You better watch out! you better not hide.."

MAF is coming.. to your door.... :facepalm:

Hey guy had a visted from MAF this moring regards to the purchased of Marimo balls..

i guessing a couple of members here must be in the same boat as I... :slfg:

All I can say is that you deserved the visit. You purchased it knowing that it was illegal, your comments on another thread state that. You are lucky if all that happened was that they seized the plant.

Let it be a warning to you and anyone else tempted to buy something that is illegally imported that you will be caught!!

I have had "the visit" after purchasing some plants off trademe and not realising they had been imported illegally. I was lucky as the plant had died.

Best to remember that they have the right to sterilize any aquarium that the plant has been in and they would be tempted if they knew you were aware that the plant was illegally imported. Fish and plants do not survive being sterilized,

All I can say is "I told you so"

I would be extremely cautious to purchase one of those. I dont think they have ever legally been imported into NZ. if you buy one put it in your tank and maf finds out they came in illegally they will destroy everything in your tank! I know someone that smuggled them into the country and there whole tank got destroyed including the fish.

rules were meant to be broken lighten up

I suppose that depends on whether or not you really care for the future of fish keeping in this country.

I am one of a small number of, not necessarily forum members but, fully paid up FNZAS members who are working really hard to foster good working relationships with MAF, BioSecurity NZ and other organisations which can only serve to advance the hobby in NZ.

My greatest concern is that Jaaxnz is still laughing at the fact that he/she was caught and now you obviously do not think the issue is at all serious, but the more people who flout the rules and bring in or purchase fish or plants illegally and then spread them around or release them into the wild, the greater the number of restrictions that will be put in place.

The simple fact of the matter is - if you know it is endangered or not allowed - do not touch it but report it to the authorities.

Adrienne is right if we as a hobby/industry work with the bio security agencies we will see more stuff allowed in. It has been done for high risk areas before.

I was lucky that the field I worked in for DEFRA has a very good relationship with them and we got a lot of support form the industry, made our jobs so much easier.

Back on topic, there is probably very little reason that Marimo Balls or alteast the algae that form them could survive in the wild in NZ. Do we really want yet another species of algae in our waterways?

I don't think the would form perfect balls like they do in Japan. I think I was reading wikipedia :facepalm: and it said that they form in underwater cave like areas and the water forms like a circular spiral and this is why they form balls?

I can't remember the exact process.

I could survive, quite easily, but forming balls is unlikely.

Those rules are put in place for a reason, And that reason is not just for you to break them.

I imagine you would not be laughing if MAF/BSNZ decided to just put a blanket ban on importing at all.

It is the immature and ignorant attitude from some people that risk the privilege of many.

Yes I speak strongly about this as I actually care about the future of my hobby and it really annoys me when people think they are entitled to just do as they wish at the cost of others.

And as Adrienne states, there are many of us who are actual payed and dedicated members of the FNZAS who work hard to build relationships with the applicable authorities to compliment the hobby.

rules were meant to be broken lighten up

"on the button.., if some1 out there selling tropical ray without maf approved, i would bet all my money on that there will be one or 2 tempted to have it in their tank..

Any way all my beauty was not harm from Maf. :smln:

What you are saying is that just because people break rules means it's OK to break them. It's not even a logical argument and is not making you look like an informed person. Next you'll be complaining about being put in jail for drink driving or having to do community service for shoplifting. Both of those acts are also OK because everyone else is doing it according to you. I suggest you keep your so called allowable rule breaking to yourself in future and stop attention seeking.

I am not trying to seek for attention, but with the purchased of the plants i was trying to infrom others members who did purchased to be careful.. there is not need to hide, as i didnt have it in my tank..and my fish was not distroy.

Think and say what ever you wanted to,

To me is a extinct plant and if i wanted to have it i will take it, no matter what it will cause me!