December 4, 201114 yr comment_463615 I've done a bit of web research this afternoon and havn't managed to turn up much in the way of research on the effectiveness of LED downlights for planted tanks. I was at Bunnings yesterday and noticed that they have crompton bulbs and that you can get various wattages, colour temps (3000 - 5000 K)... no idea about PAR of these bulbs other than they reckon a 20W is equivalent to a 100W (....light output???) http://www.crompton.com.au/uploads/Lightstar_Energy_Saving_Mouse_Pad.pdf Has anyone tried growing plants under these lights or know of some research about their effectiveness? I would think that they have quite small coverage with their 20 degree angle so would need quite a few. But some nice fittings available and might suit nano tanks Report
December 9, 201114 yr comment_464168 I would say that LED downlights are probably not the best option out there. If you are looking for a cheap LED alternative then you won't find one. The cheapest kits Ive seen are these: http://www.aquastyleonline.com/ The only concern is that they use Bridgelux LEDs instead of Cree and their drivers are a bit dodge, but you can always order in some Cree separately and they offer meanwell drivers for an extra cost. Report
December 10, 201114 yr comment_464294 the bridgelux LEDs with meanwell drivers will grow pretty much anything. They're a ton brighter than t5s and about on par with metal halide while using a lot less power. I think I'll do a test tank with the left over LEDs from my marine and see how they work out for growing. Report
September 13, 201214 yr comment_496573 Cree Drivers and Bulbs have the best Rep from what I have looked at on Various forums and articles. As I understand it 0.6 watts of Cree Lighting is equates to High Lighting in a planted Tank. Cheaper Chinese Knock Offs using Cree Technology is what I have gone for.....Frankly because I can't afford brands like Maspect, Orphec and Aquaray etc. The light I purchased costs $ 480. A 90 watt 7000 kelvin new Model of Fresh Water Lighting for Fresh water plants ( 80cm long ) f. Being a new Light at entry Level on the Market there is very little info on it in terms of Par Values. It has three Rows of Cree lamps 3watt White Cree Bulbs and a center strip of Blue. The Controller is A big Unit and It is easy to use as far as the three separate on off times for sunrise sunset. The Lamp has Passive Cooling with Fins and Active cooling with thermostatic control of the inbuilt fans ( they kick in at 45 degC). The Proof will be in the pudding. IN My high tech tank It has been running for two weeks only , I am taking a photographic record of the tank. Increasing ferts etc has meant the plants are still in the adjustment phase to the change in lighting / feeding. DIY LED Lamps was never an option for me. So I guess If you cost up the parts including the fans you will need to cool it....versus the lights like mine....you will have a sense of whether making your own is worth it. Report
September 14, 201214 yr comment_496613 I bought cheap LEDs, last about 2 days before failing They look great for a week, then die. It's one of those things that everyone tries to save a few bucks, but ends up costing more. Report
September 14, 201214 yr comment_496633 don't over drive them, and keep them cool. The hotter they run the more they will draw, the more they draw the hotter they run... ending up with short lived LEDs Report
September 14, 201214 yr comment_496656 don't over drive them, and keep them cool. The hotter they run the more they will draw, the more they draw the hotter they run... ending up with short lived LEDs +1 Report
September 14, 201214 yr comment_496708 Here's the Controller for the K3 fresh water 90 watt Cree LED ( Got it off TM , I was going to import one from Fishstreet = $500 nz .....TM = $480 from Val Ray ). Report
September 15, 201214 yr comment_496928 This is what I am using, and it is working great with my tank: http://translate.google.com/translate?c ... pair=es|en I had to import the bulbs, but it was not expensive at all. If you need to know where I imported from, drop me a PM. Regards! Report
September 15, 201214 yr comment_496949 This is what I am using, and it is working great with my tank: http://translate.google.com/translate?c ... pair=es|en I had to import the bulbs, but it was not expensive at all. If you need to know where I imported from, drop me a PM. Regards! Wow that is awesome Report
September 16, 201214 yr comment_497158 This is what I am using, and it is working great with my tank: http://translate.google.com/translate?c ... pair=es|en I had to import the bulbs, but it was not expensive at all. If you need to know where I imported from, drop me a PM. Regards! I like that. I've been playing around with other LED fittings, never thought of using G24's with PVC tube like that. Might import some myself now. Report
September 20, 201214 yr comment_497867 I am very happy with the results of these bulbs. See them here: Report
October 5, 201214 yr comment_500744 I have LED's over 2 of my tanks, thinking about changing to them for my 200L tank too. Plants grow just fine under them, but I do notice the white leds lack colour... To overcome this l'll rig up some RGB leds to provide the additional colour range that the whites don't provide. Summer project I think. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.