The What's Up? thread.

SamH

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay sure. I will have to terminate the trifasciata breeding project however :( But at least they're being bred by other people. I don't know of anyone else who is breeding these so I had better get on to it.

Are there any other tips you could give me please? :hail:

They can be bred once a week if well fed on live food--lumbriculus is ideal. The first lot of eggs may not be any good but after that you should be away. They should be ok on NZ brine shrimp nuplii from hatching. New fry are light sensitive so cover with newspaper. Usually bred in a number of small tanks over mesh--add a drop of acriflavine. Can tip hatched fry into a rearing tank together to raise up.

Awesome thanks Alan :hail:

I only have a large 140L tank for breeding, no small tank sorry. I was going to cover the glass panels with black sheets of something water proof, and I was going to get a lid cut that has a large 35x20cm bit cut out of the middle (the lid would be covered too except for the cut-out bit) and I'd grow a whole lot of Indian fern in the cut-out part (so that way the tank is covered from the light and I can still have the Indian fern which will help to suck nitrates/nitrites/ammonia out of the water and provide the fry with somewhere to hide). I'll try to get an inline heater and some coarse sponge to put on the outlet of the filter to help disperse the flow so it isn't too strong. I'm a huge fan of running canisters on breeding tanks.

And yes I'll look at getting some fine mesh to make some breeding traps :D

I went into town where it was warmer cos they had power :lol:

They were working on the power lines at the end of the street. We had a couple of weeks warning that power would be off (but I forgot) while they did the work between 9am and 4pm but power was restored at 2.30 or so.

I enjoyed a lovely walnut and pear salad with friends in town, read for a while in the library (always nice and warm in there. Could have taken the netbook and surfed the web too but wasn't worried about lack of internet) then headed home. It is amazing how quiet the house is without all the background stuff running - fridge, freezer, computers, UPS's etc.

I am pleased to say the Jebo filter started up again with no problems although we will have to alter the timer as it will be out by 5 hours or so. Tank temp 22C, room temp 18.5C. Didn't think to check what temp the tank was before the power went off so will have a look later to see how much it lost. As it is built into a large wall unit and only has the front pane visible, the temp drops very slowly so I did not bother throwing a blanket or anything over it. It has a glass lid covered by a solid timber one as well.

Fed some silver & yellow pirahnas, man they are fast. Also saw some young geo's and some tetras. Also saw this young ant eater swiming across the river. There soo cute :love:

The aquatic stick insects look so funny when the swim.

Fed some silver & yellow pirahnas, man they are fast. Also saw some young geo's and some tetras. Also saw this young ant eater swiming across the river. There soo cute :love:

Mate, I gotta say I'm pretty jealous. Most exotic school trip I went on was to the zoo. Sounds like an epic trip

which of your least favourite school mates did you feed to the piranhas? Or was it the teacher? :thup:

Long weekend...yahoooooo! Canada's birthday July 1st :P:P:P:P

Today was grading day for our schools and my Grandson "graded" to Grade 2 :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: So proud of him :thup: :thup:

We just need the nice weather to keep up and get warmer (did not have a good summer last year :an!gry

Caper :P