The What's Up? thread.

SamH

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Research eco friendly building materials, methods and just general sustainability for a graphics project. Can't comprehend why someone would choose not to build this way? Aside from a little extra cost, which pays for itself, there's no reason not to!

Research eco friendly building materials, methods and just general sustainability for a graphics project. Can't comprehend why someone would choose not to build this way? Aside from a little extra cost, which pays for itself, there's no reason not to!

Laziness, Stuck in the past not thinking about the future.

it's a lot more complicated than that. the cost difference can be quite a lot and some of the ecofriendly methods don't perform as well as the older methods. there is a lot of progress being made in the area though, resulting in more effective and affordable options. it's very easy to say everyone should do it, but when you're the one that has to stump up the extra cash and make compromises on your home things are a bit different

I came across the sheep's wool example, although it costs several times more than traditional insulation, the only downside to it is the price which would come down as more people use it. It's a natural flame retardant, the fibres are too large to pose a health threat so it can be installed without protective gear, it's renewable and biodegradable. Going cheap is the reason this planet is such a mess.

I came across the sheep's wool example, although it costs several times more than traditional insulation, the only downside to it is the price which would come down as more people use it. It's a natural flame retardant, the fibres are too large to pose a health threat so it can be installed without protective gear, it's renewable and biodegradable. Going cheap is the reason this planet is such a mess.

sheeps wool insulation is a perfect example. it is quite a bit more expensive and doesn't perform quite as well as the standard alternative (fibreglass insulation such as pink batts). i'm not sure if they've improved it but i know it used to have issues with settling as well, which reduces it's efficiency by quite a lot. as well as that, if it became commonly used, wool prices would probably increase (supply and demand). personally i'm all for making things as eco-friendly as possible, but the reality is the bulk of people building houses are stretching their budget as it is and adding a few thousand dollars to the price at every decision adds up very quickly.

on the bright side there is definitely a lot more effort being put into developing more environmentally friendly products, which will result in more effective and affordable materials.

I made a pizza tonight. As those who know me can attest, I do not know a lot about pizzas and have only even eaten them a few times in my life. I found a recipe for the base that does not use yeast then added stuff from the fridge and freezer. The result was delicious!! I even got a compliment from Grant (very rare indeed) who claimed it was better than the gourmet pizzas in the supermarket deli.

Here 'tis...

pizza.jpg

It had a tomato relish spread over the base with green peppers, onion, mushroom, tomato, left-over cooked chicken, bacon and a bit of Edam cheese grated on top 8)

Our 6 year old started school today. He was officially diagnosed with a communication disorder a few years ago but a new child psychologist has put the cat among the pigeons and diagnosed him with Aspergers. A lot of the other people working with him have gotten all snotty about it as he just doesn't fit neatly into the Aspergers mould, he was never diagnosed with Autisum first, and he has a sense of humour and a few other things, but he shows many of the other signs. We just hope the new psychologist doesn't get herself into trouble.

I used to cop a fair bit of grief at school too Joe. Try not to let it get you down. It's not an indication on who you are, but an indication of how empty their lives and minds are that they have to resort to putting you down to feel better about themselves. I know that's not much in the way of consolation, but hang tough mate, you'll get through it and you'll be a better person than they could ever hope to be.

Why can't something be done about the bullying? Is there such a thing as restraining orders for young people? If I didn't know better I'd write to the school myself but it's not my place to do that and it makes me so mad! :an!gry