What's your current internet speed?

Insect Direct

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Central Auckland, and look at the dismal speeds =/. Did the test a few time and the Max I got was around 3Mb/s. Main reason why I can't play online games any more I reckon :(. I hope ADSL2+ will actually improve this, ETA June apparently. Don't think it should be any problems on my end since I used to get better speeds before they stopped the go large plan a few years back and I was basically forced to switch.

1156818785.png

Central Auckland, and look at the dismal speeds =/. Did the test a few time and the Max I got was around 3Mb/s. Main reason why I can't play online games any more I reckon :(. I hope ADSL2+ will actually improve this, ETA June apparently. Don't think it should be any problems on my end since I used to get better speeds before they stopped the go large plan a few years back and I was basically forced to switch.

1156818785.png

Sorry to tell you the bad news, but if those are your current speeds, ADSL2+ won't help :(

Sorry to tell you the bad news, but if those are your current speeds, ADSL2+ won't help :(

I'm around 300m from the local cabinet/exchange, would have though the connection would be better? It is now off peak time and this is the only computer running and the speed is still the same, I'm not downloading anything either. Any idea what I can do to find out where the problem is? Here is my Line Stats:

DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A

Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 977 / 3.516

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 977 / 3.541

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 4,83 / 24,08

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,0 / 15,5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 25,5 / 42,5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 13,0 / 12,0

I really don't know how to look at these numbers, so if anyone can give me a clue of what I can do I would really appreciate it. I am trying to avoid calling telecom, as every time I have called, it has taken me 1.5hours of repeating the same tests with a clueless support staff member, then waiting a day for a 'level 2' to call back and tell me what the problem 'might' be.

Ice

I ran those stats through http://adsl.tin2tin.net and these are the results:

http://adsl.tin2tin.net/yourstats.php?statsID=149959&tab=2

but NZ uses a 12db SNR so those reading will be a bit high for a NZ line.

Those stats would suggest a line length of about 3km :(

Have a read of that site (test tab) and do a quiet line test to see if there is noise on the line.

Ice

I ran those stats through http://adsl.tin2tin.net and these are the results:

http://adsl.tin2tin.net/yourstats.php?statsID=149959&tab=2

but NZ uses a 12db SNR so those reading will be a bit high for a NZ line.

Those stats would suggest a line length of about 3km :(

Have a read of that site (test tab) and do a quiet line test to see if there is noise on the line.

Oh Well, I've had no luck finding the master socket. So I suppose I'll just have to wait a week till my dad's back and check if he knows. Thanks anyway.

If you are only 300m from the exchange or cabinet, then something is seriously wrong. I'd say you have some dodgy wiring somewhere or a device other than your modem connected directly to the line without a filter. Have you tried unplugging everything (phones, fax machines, 56k modems, sky decoders, alarms, answering machines, caller ID units etc) from the phone line to see if it improves? You should also try connecting your router to different jackpoints around the house to see if it gets better / worse on them.

Also, connect your router directly without using a filter when doing these tests.