What's your current internet speed?

Insect Direct

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea where to find those modem stats.. !

this is my modem: http://www.dynalink.co.nz/products/adsl/rta1025we

You could try going to one of these pages and see if it prompts you for a username and password.

http://192.168.1.1/

http://192.168.0.1/

http://10.0.0.1/

If none of those work, assuming you're using windows, hold the windows key on your keyboard then press R. In the box that comes up, type cmd then press enter. In the window that comes up, type ipconfig then press enter. It will tell you a default gateway. In your web browser, go to http://default gateway number

The default username and password is admin / admin

Once logged in, go to Status up the top then DSL line down the left. That is the page of information.

thanks Phantom, first link worked

is this what I need:

ADSL Line Status

Current ADSL line status is displayed as the below.

Line Mode ADSL2+ Line State Show Time

Line Power State L0 Line Up Time 00:04:01:36

Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream

Line Rate 15717 Kbps 972 Kbps

Attainable Line Rate 17864 Kbps 976 Kbps

Noise Margin 12.9 dB 13.2 dB

Line Attenuation 12.0 dB 5.7 dB

Output Power 0.0 dBm 12.8 dBm

MSGC (number of bytes in overhead channel message) 62 2

B (number of bytes in Mux Data Frame) 46 60

M (number of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame) 1 2

T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes) 10 4

R (number of check bytes in FEC Data Frame) 8 10

S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length) 0.0955 4.0000

L (number of bits in PMD Data Frame) 4608 264

D (interleave depth) 288 16

Delay 6 16

Super Frames 901873 901871

Super Frame Errors 5 1699

RS Words 613273716 30663614

RS Correctable Errors 5472 5726830

RS Uncorrectable Errors 56 0

HEC Errors 4 0

OCD Errors 0 0

LCD Errors 0 0

Total Cells 542677263 0

Data Cells 3970145 0

Bit Errors 0 0

Total ES 3 0

Total SES 0 0

Total UAS 15 0

If Telecom were to open up their backend to the ISP that line would be capable of nearly the full 24meg of adsl2+, but they don't :evil:

Your through put is way down on what it should be, this could be a Telecom or TC problem.

Your sync (Line Rate 15717 Kbps 972 Kbps) is down on what you should be syncing at for a 12db noise margin. This I might be able to help with :D

First off you will want to find the master socket, the first one on the line, normally near-ish to where the line comes in.

Test from there if you can...

If you have more than one socket make sure that you don't connect them up with telephone extension cable (normally flat), this stuff kills adsl/adsl2+.

Inside the master socket you only want wires connected to terminals 2 & 5 (this goes for all sockets on a line) a wire on terminal 3 (or any or the others) can have a drastic impact on a adsl sync. Modern phones don't need a wire on terminal 3, and the adsl filter provides the same function for phones that do.

Sky boxes etc need to be filtered, sometimes double filtering.

If you can filter all internal wiring at the master socket do that as it is the best way.

If Telecom were to open up their backend to the ISP that line would be capable of nearly the full 24meg of adsl2+, but they don't :evil:

Your through put is way down on what it should be, this could be a Telecom or TC problem.

Your sync (Line Rate 15717 Kbps 972 Kbps) is down on what you should be syncing at for a 12db noise margin. This I might be able to help with :D

First off you will want to find the master socket, the first one on the line, normally near-ish to where the line comes in.

Test from there if you can...

If you have more than one socket make sure that you don't connect them up with telephone extension cable (normally flat), this stuff kills adsl/adsl2+.

Inside the master socket you only want wires connected to terminals 2 & 5 (this goes for all sockets on a line) a wire on terminal 3 (or any or the others) can have a drastic impact on a adsl sync. Modern phones don't need a wire on terminal 3, and the adsl filter provides the same function for phones that do.

Sky boxes etc need to be filtered, sometimes double filtering.

If you can filter all internal wiring at the master socket do that as it is the best way.

thanks for your advice.. but I really don't know what I'm doing!

The modem is connected directly into the wall socket with no extensions. and no filter as there is no phone in the same room. It used to run through the surge protector first but on the advice of a TC person I ran it straight to the wall socket now.

I have no sky and a serviceman isolated my alarm from the phone line since it's not monitored and stuck some thing on the outside line that comes in, saying it would improve my line somehow.

For those getting speeds less than 10Mb/s, you can check the Telecom Wholesale maps to see if you are in an area that should be able to get faster speeds. http://www.telecomwholesale.co.nz/maps

On that page, put your address in and let it search. There is a + next to 10 Mbps zone which toggles the 10Mb/s colouring. If it goes blue over your address, you should be able to get 10Mb/s or more.

With the above toggled back off, if you zoom out you will see the entire area covered by your exchange. The exchange should be somewhere in the middle of the red area. The further away you are, the slower your speeds will get. However, there are also cabinets for some areas. Down the right hand side it will list cabinets and the status of their upgrades. If you are on a cabinet it should be shown in the list and when you hover over its name, it will highlight an area of the map. Generally if you are in a cabinet area, you will get pretty reasonable speeds.

The other thing to note is at the top right it will say what services are available at the address. If it doesn't say ADSL2+ then no matter what you do, you won't be able to get any more than 8Mb/s.

After all of that, if you think you're not getting the speeds you should be, post the information from your router as per some previous posts along with the rough distance you are from your exchange or cabinet.

grrr it's frustrating knowing I should be getting faster speeds and I'm not.

I'm in a ADSL2+ area and VDSL2 is scheduled for feb 2011 -

what exactly is VDSL2 and will I need to do anything to take advantage of it?

VDSL2 is kind of still in a trial and only active in a few areas, even if the equipment is capable.

VDSL2 is much much faster. You'll need to go on a VDSL2 plan from your ISP (if they offer one - at the moment it's only WorldNet I believe). It will require a new router and new filters. In your case, whatever was done to the alarm will need to be upgraded for VDSL2.

It will be more expensive as well.

grrr it's frustrating knowing I should be getting faster speeds and I'm not.

I'm in a ADSL2+ area and VDSL2 is scheduled for feb 2011 -

what exactly is VDSL2 and will I need to do anything to take advantage of it?

Try running yours through the Christchurch server and see what you get

For those that want to check their stats have a look at this site, written while I was in the UK so will throw a few errors on our higher SNR, It was also written for adsl2+ so if you are still on adsl it will say you could be faster :roll:

http://adsl.tin2tin.net/stats.php?tab=2

If athe auto tool doesn't like your modems stats there is a basic version on the next tab http://adsl.tin2tin.net/stats.php?tab=3 or use tab=4 for an estimated sync for your line length (downstream attenuation). Note when reading the charts that Telecom in NZ use a 12dB SNR