Water change = Driftwood "smoke" then turns to cobweb???

hovmoller

Ok title is a bit weird but that's what it looks like.

Here is what happens:

Time for water change. Drain 1/3 of water out then refill with water from the tap (that I run through a long tube full of activated carbon to remove chlorine). The water I put in is a few degrees less than tank water (29 degrees).

Towards the end of refill a few pieces of my driftwood starts "smoking"!! (it looks exactly like it had been on fire, you blow out the flame and it keeps smoking)

IMG_2232.jpg

Next thing is that this "smoke" starts coagulating and flies around in the tank like flying strands of cobweb.

IMG_2235.jpg

Then (like cobweb) it starts to stick to everything.

IMG_2234.jpg

IMG_2236.jpg

IMG_2233.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg

Looks pretty horrible huh?? :o:(

But... after a few hours it slowly starts disolving/breaks down and by next day it is completely gone! My cardinals seems to even like taking bits out of it and eating it.

It seems to only come from one type of quite dark driftwood because I have a lighter species of wood in there that does not do it at all... My driftwood is collected from river/beach here in NZ and I've been using in for a year now and it's only now that it has started doing this.

So my question to you is: Is anybody out there familiar with this or can anyone give a qualified guess to why this only happens when I add fresh water to the tank? It literally happens within seconds!... smoke - cobweb - MESS!!

Wow, I don't really have much driftwood so I can't help you, but ty for sharing the pic, they look kinda neat in a crazy cobwebby tank kinda way. I suppose a layer of white stuff grewon your driftwood and got dislodged by the current created during your water change.

Love your answer btw Henwood :lol:.

I suppose a layer of white stuff grewon your driftwood and got dislodged by the current created during your water change.

Well that's the funny thing.. the wood is always clean as!.. I got plecos, SAE's and snails so a well organised cleaning crew here!

Thanks for the input Henward.. very helpful!... well at least it made me laugh!

from remebering when i had put bambo into a tank the bambo went slmilar to that.

it got a slim on it if you put high flow on it would go all string.my guess it a slim

' that has grow on and you have disturbed when you have done that water change.

I know that slime you are talking about and I have also had that before on other new pieces..

But this is not the same.. the wood is very clean and non slimy before.. but when I put new water this white smoky stuff just seem to ooooze out of the wood and in seconds the strings appear and then the mess starts!

what sort of wood is it?

It could be the sap from just inside the bark.

Not sure of the species of wood. I found it just north of Wanganui rivermouth. I think there is enough driftwood there to start a million pleco tanks! haha.. but that's another story.

The wood is very dark and comes from up the river somewhere so maybe a NZ native.. There is no bark on it..

The weird thing is that it only starts to ooze out of it when I add the new water... definitely comes from the wood, as mentioned earlier it's like the wood starts smoking!

Could be the slime mentioned earlier, but its out of reach of the clean up crew, it could be accumulated in all the cracks and crevices of the wood.

The wood is quite smooth with not many cracks and I am quite sure there is no slime hanging about getting washed off... I can actually see the "smoke" forming on the surface of the wood and then being carried away by the current where it then "coagulates"

The best theory yet is from livingart who suggested a fungus that grows on/in the wood and the water change triggers a release of spores.... sounds a bit coral reef full moon kinda thing to me but it is seriously the best guess I've heard so far.

Alas if Carol and her wealth of experience says she has never seen or heard of this thing then it must be truly unusual!

Will do another water change in a week and see if I can catch it in action in a video clip..

It used to happen in one of my tanks too and I never worked out what it was. It never seemed to hurt anything so I stopped worrying about it

Yes it seems quite harmless but looks a bit extreme in my case.. I've even seem some of my cardinals entwined in it struggeling to swim around with a chunk of cobweb hanging from it's fins.. I guess it was his own fault for trying to eat it! haha.