Plants Wanted

Joe

I have a whole lot of bogwood soaking in a bucket outside. It has been there for about a week, and I will leave it for another 1 or 2 weeks. I have a really nice big bit that I wanted to put some Bolbitis heudelotii on. I have had a lot of troble finding this plant. There was some on trademe, but I don'y have a trademe account so I couldn't bid. Could someone please help me out?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a whole lot of bogwood soaking in a bucket outside. It has been there for about a week, and I will leave it for another 1 or 2 weeks. I have a really nice big bit that I wanted to put some Bolbitis heudelotii on. I have had a lot of troble finding this plant. There was some on trademe, but I don'y have a trademe account so I couldn't bid. Could someone please help me out?

Have PMd you Joe

Does anyone have some:

Pomogostemon helferi

Pomogostemon stellata 'narrow leaf'

Pomogostemon yatabeanus

If so I would love some as it would look great in my tank.

Thanks,

Joe

Unfortunately none of the above are available in NZ

Why are all these plants not availible in NZ? Can't they just be imported or will it make DOC angry? Also I know Fissidens berteroi is a native and I want to know where some is so I can grab a bit, because I originaly wanted F. fontanus which is not availible in NZ. What DOC doesn't know won't hurt them right? It is a coldwater plant but should adapt to tropical water. I have willow moss in my tank and I grabbed it out of a local river and it has adapted fine to my tank. I've had it for around a month now. It would be good if aquarists were aloud to keep F. berteroi as it is very pretty and if lots of people grew some then it would no longer be endangered and then that would have solved one of DOC's problems.

Why are all these plants not availible in NZ?

They are not available because their threat as an invasive weed or pathogen introducer has not been assessed, or it has been assessd and shown to be a threat to native plants (perfect conditions to out-compete them).

Can't they just be imported or will it make DOC angry?

It's not only DoC that is involved with decision-making...

What DOC doesn't know won't hurt them right?

Except that some people on this site work for DoC and have probably read this already. And it may not hurt DoC, but it can potentially hurt NZ ecosystems...eg. oxygen weed.

It would be good if aquarists were aloud to keep F. berteroi as it is very pretty and if lots of people grew some then it would no longer be endangered and then that would have solved one of DOC's problems.

It depends on how well it does in an aquarium setting. If you want to be part of a case study involving native plants in aquaria (as several people on this site already are), you can contact NIWA about the project they are running.

Joe will be down for conference so that might be a good opportunity to buy some plants. :)

Yes it might, it would probably help if we could source them for him before he goes down so that they are available when he is there and not too costly.

I still really want some Limnophila hippuroides or aromatica. The pet shop here sucks when it comes to plants, and I'm not sure if I'll find any in Christchurch. The shop here in Blenheim have such a tiny range. Usually they just sell Ludwigia, Alternanthera, Hygrophila and sometimes Bacopa. They have a few aquarium plants in the watergarden section too.

the L aromatica is different. I have it, and it only grows green. even submersed. very very pretty plant though, and slow growing for a stem plant.

I thought that L. aromatica was reddish, not green. All the photos I've seen on the internet are yellowish red. I prefer L. hippuroides because it is more red. I don't want any L. aromatica if it's green.

yes, joefish. that was my point.

That green plant where the cardinals are has been I'd by many on this forum as L. Aromatica

DSC08444Small.jpg

its amazingly beautiful. when i get time ill ask for an independent ID on plantedtank.net

my understanding is that there are 2 types of aromatica - a red one and a green one.

I went onto the internet and found a picture of green Limnophila aromatica, but it looks completly different to the plant you pictured. L. aromatica has much longer leaves and looks somewhat like Pogostemon sp. which are not availible in NZ. Also the leaves on the plant you pictured are tiny compared to L. aromatica and there are far less leaves. But whatever it is it is still pretty. I counted 13 Cardinals in your photo. They are sooo pretty but to get a shoal that big would cost heaps - around $150-200. I wish I had the money to afford something like that... Also you have lovely lush plant growth.

the leaves get a bit bigger, they were only in my tank for about 36 hours when i took that photo. its a relatively slow grower, but as i said Id is needed.

it is converting to submersed growth at the moment and is doing well.

PS- 21 cardinals now. more to come soonish :D

phoenix44, how did you upload that photo of your tank? I spent about half an hour trying to upload photos of the different forms of L. aromatica and hippuroides. I went to 'Post Reply' at the bottom of the page and tried to cut and paste from my computer. It didn't work.