Plants Wanted

Joe

Hi fellow plant fanciers,

I want a beautiful planted tank, and need some plants to put in it. I have a few already. I have done a bit of research, and request the following if availible:

Lobelia cardinalis - Dwarf Lobelia

Alternanthera reineckii

Cryptocoryne parva

Fissidens fontanus

Rotala macrandra

Monosolenium tenerum - Pellia Moss

Versicularia ferriei - Weeping moss

Limnophila hippuroides or aromatica (it doesn't matter which one)

Ammania "Bonsai"

Flame Moss

Bolbitis heudelotti

Hemianthus callitrichoides

Echinodorus tenellus "narrow leaf"

I would like to discuss prices before conference, so I can have everything sorted. I have tonnes of Flag Cichleds (Latacara curviceps) which I am happy to bring down to conference to swap for plants. If anyone is just interested in buying them, they are $5.00 each. They are all a good size (3-5 cm). I bred them myself.

Kind regards,

Joe Peart

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Joe.

A lot of the plants that you have mentioned are illegal here in NZ and are not here. I'd suggest you look through the fnzas database of what is here, and what is easy to get by searching through here (search function on the top RHS corner).

Lobelia cardinalis - Dwarf Lobelia

Alternanthera reineckii

Rotala macrandra

Limnophila hippuroides or aromatica (it doesn't matter which one)

Bolbitis heudelotti

The above are available quite readily

Cryptocoryne parva

Fissidens fontanus

Monosolenium tenerum - Pellia Moss

Versicularia ferriei - Weeping moss

Ammania "Bonsai"

Flame Moss

Hemianthus callitrichoides

These ones are not available. There is some debate about Parva and HC but the others are def not here

Hope that helps with your search

Welcome :wink:

Good to see you here Joe. You will get some good advice here.

As many of you may remember, Joe is the very keen junior member of MAC who attended the shop crawl in Chch. His dwarf flags are very nice.

Hi Joe

I was a recipient of four of your babys :D

I now have lots of fry. They are very nice fish. Good luck with your planted tank

Simon :wink:

I have finalised my plant list:

Lobelia cardinalis

Alternanthera reineckii

Rotala macrandra

Limnophila hippuroides or aromatica - anyway, what is the difference between these 2. They both look the same!!

Bolbitis heudelotti

Limnophila aquatica

Dwarf Hairgrass

So who has some of these plants? If you do, please email me. My email is on the first post on this page. Then we can discuss prices ect.

Is Lobelia cardinalis an underwater plant?

everything else apart from the real macrandra can be bought off a retailer for between $3 and $5, except for the Congo fern which will be between $16-$20.

I have Congo fern, but someone else has dibs on it, and it is not nearly large enough for me to split.

Not many plants are truely underwater, some tolerate it better than others. I grew Lobelia cardinalis last year but no one wanted to buy it so I didn't grow it this year. It is an atractive plant and you should be able to get some from redwood aquatics when you are down. There are a couple of types of Alternanthera in NZ that I am aware of. The best is A. reineckii roseafolia which I have emersed but probably won't have at the conference as the frost will have killed it. It is the easiest of the red stem plants to grow without intense light. I assume by narrow leafed tenellus you mean E. tenellus tenellus. It does not grow well emersed in my setup but I gave some to Redwoods and they may still have a bit. There is a bit around Auckland I have seen.

A-town, the ambulia pictured is limnophila sessiliflora. Also alanmin4304, the reason I want the R. macrandra is because of it's beautiful foliage. I am getting a new lightinghood and some aqua glo tubes for my tank. I have a few hardy plants at the moment.