Plants Wanted

Joe

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A-town,

I'll have about 10 large stems with a good root system and lots of healthy foliage. How much do you want for it? Are you coming to conference? If you aren't, will you be able to organise someone to bring it down for me?

I don't know how you get your microfolia to grow that short. Some of my plants are about 7-10cm long if not longer :lol: :cry:

Its grown to its full length, the longest parts of the tank are on the right under the plants I got from you. I just can't remember what its called.

Does anyone have a large amount of Bolbitis heudelotii? I really want some to grow on some bogwood that's looking a bit bare at the moment. It is also very pretty. I found a beautiful tank on the internet that uses Bolbitis, mosses and various other ferns. It is definatly worth having a look at:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... -45-a.html

I don't mind if it is quite expensive. It is denfinatly worth the money.

Joe

I'm not going to do all those extras. I have a coke bottle and am doing DIY CO2. So far the plants are flourishing. The 6kg bottle's a bit big. The amount of CO2 depends on the amount of baking soda added and the warmth of the mixture. I'm injecting my CO2 using a Magic Jet Filter head, and the CO2 airline is attached to the Venturi system. I have a wee bit of black beard algae, which is slowly going away. I am also going to get some JBL balls, Flourish Excel, and Flourish Comprehensive. I have a new lighting hood on laybuy, and that should be payed off by the end of the week. I am going to buy some aqua glo tubes. They are a bit more expensive than normal tubes, but are apparently really good for plant growth and the colours of the fish (although I only have 3 golden bristlenoses and some kitty tetras in the tank). I am not really planning on getting more fish, as the ones in my big tank were nearly all wiped out by columnaris. I might get some more Apistogramma trifasciata though. Strangely, the bristlenoses weren't affected at all by the columnaris. And I was lucky I had most of my baby flags in a seperate tank. Also my tank is just regular glass. It is 100x30x50cm, which is perfect for the setup I'm attempting. I just need another strip of glass to finish the lid. I'm not having an open topped tank. I reckon that guy's a bit insane with getting those Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi, as they'll just jump out of the tank. Waste of money. I learnt this when I first started off fishkeeping, and had just the back of the tank uncovered. I lost odessa barbs, a shoal of pearl danios, glowlight tetras ect. And I don't want to lose what kitty tetras I have left (5).

Have the plants arrived yet Joe? If not and they don't get there until Monday even if they look a bit sad plant them any way. The smaller ones will most certainly take off and look good quickly but not sure about the red plant - give it a try anyway if it has the look you want.

Has anyone heard of a plant called Blyxa japonica? If so, is it availible in New Zealand? I saw some pics of it on the internet and it is sooo pretty. I really want some!!! I was thinking of putting lots of bogwood in my tank and growing ferns and mosses, and creating some hollows in the bogwood structure and filling these with substrate and growing the Blyxa in it, so it looks like it is growing on the bogwood. I also want to do something similar with Lilaeopsis.

The pH in my tank is very soft - about 4.5-6.5. I always have a low pH because of the types of plants aqnd fish I want to keep. The substrate shouldn't be a problem, beacuse I have some Dalton's Aquatic mix just sitting outside. I can put this into a hollow between some bogwood or rocks, and cover it with a layer of sand (so it doesn't make the water cloudy). The lighting will be very strong as I have a new lightinghood on laybuy which should be payed off by the end of the week. It can fit 2 tubes, plus I will still use my original lightinghood as well (which can fit 1 tube). The tubes will be aqua glo or something similar.