AUCKLAND FISHROOM OWNERS BEWARE!

Adrienne

For the second time in less than six months I have had a fish taken from my fishroom. :cry: Went out this morning to find the shed door open and one of my beautiful young halfmoon females was gone from her tank - No I am not imagining it. She was there at 11pm last night along with 5 other females.

Once again I have a fair idea who took it, but no proof and no knowledge of where this person lives but I can (once again) say that I am pretty certain they are not a forum member.

Please please make sure your rooms are locked.

Mods please move this post if you feel you need to.

Wow that sucks! You breed and sell the fighters eh, so there's probably a fair few people who know where and what you keep.

On a similar note, I always leave the curtain on the door of my fishroom slightly open so people can peek in and see whats there. I have nightmares of some stoners seeing the blueish light at night and hearing the sound of water running and thinking its a big hydroponics set up, then when they break in they're rather disappointed and decide to throw a rock through one of the tanks...

sadly without proof it is hard to point a finger, a witness or video evidence of that person entering the fish room would be good

if the person refuses to let the police view their fish a search warrant would be needed

then you would need to prove the fish they had was your one, ie unique, special colour, markings etc

the best idea is to ban that person from your property as you believe they were responsible for your missing fish

tell anyone you know who associates with them what you believe as well

you can't accuse someone without proof but you can come to a belief through circumstantial evidence :wink:

Sorry for your loss. people who steal are utter losers.

I wonder if it would be worth locking the forums so only members are able to view the posts, like other forums do.

That would probably not be in our best interests to do so.

I don't even look at forums or sale sites that require a login before I even get to see what is there.

Unfortunately there are other means of gathering info on who or where people are, such as TradeMe sales that allow pickups from the seller's homes.

:o FISH got stolen!! wow, Iam just a beginner at fish keeping..No 1 dare taking my fish way from me!!, not even my wife!! :lol: this is crazzzy!!! ok iam releasing the pit bull to nite!! :evil:

very sad to hear Adodge, some time fish go missing not by human, pet such as cat, rat etc..

would try to find their way in..

Sorry to hear about the loss Adodge.

It is for that reason I am picky about letting people collect stuff I sell on trade me from my home. I get most to collect from my work place.And ones I do allow to collect from home, I never allow them to see my fishroom without me knowing who they are. ( so if you have seen my fish room, count yourself privelidged, LOL)

We dont really have a LFS here in Wanganui so people may find it easier to help themselves if they know you have what they want.

As LA said, you cannot accuse someone, but you can tell people you have reasons to believe. Was it through selling on trade me that you believe it to be this person??

And David, I too have the same fear about someone thinking I have Hydro setups. Though its mainly my neighbours who I worry about, so on many occasions I have left the curtains open at night while the light are on. If they are/were curious, Im not stopping them from seeing what it really is, although the countless Aquarium Paraphinalia around my yard, kind of gives it away. LOL

OMG this is a disgrace to know there are people out there that would do such a thing.

But i guess no matter how good your security is - if they want to get in they WILL get in :evil:

I am always nervous when "new" people come to pick up fish from me - You have opened my eyes Adodge to the reality of this sort of thing, and i can see why alot of people are very secretive about the fish they keep.

Wow I cant believe someone would do that, im not talking about the value either. I would be devistated if someone took one of my fish, ALL my fish are worth more then any amount of money to me, Im so sorry for your loss, I guess you can only hope she was sold on to someone who'll care for her.

That's scary :( I'm far to scared to get any sort of expensive fish (Umm I think the most I've ever paid is only about $30) mainly out of fear I'd kill them myself, but this would be even worse.

I always kinda worry about trademe pickups too, they might even be sussing out what electronics etc we have in our house... A friend left her car out on street, cos a potential buyer wanted to do a driveby to look at it... And the stereo got stolen... suspicious? Luckily flatmate or I are nearly always home so it's not often that the house is unattended.

For the second time in less than six months I have had a fish taken from my fishroom. :cry: Went out this morning to find the shed door open and one of my beautiful young halfmoon females was gone from her tank - No I am not imagining it. She was there at 11pm last night along with 5 other females.

Once again I have a fair idea who took it, but no proof and no knowledge of where this person lives but I can (once again) say that I am pretty certain they are not a forum member.

Please please make sure your rooms are locked.

Mods please move this post if you feel you need to.

can you put some camera's in?

http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4b84afd30 ... View/L6114

http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4b84afd30 ... View/L6111

Catch the bastard in the act.

my door has a loud sound that is unmistakable when opening it.

i wake up if someone steals something, and will be out at the front wtih something not so pleasant for the guy.

lol henward you'd come flying out with your wood chopping axe and your gym guns, and youve got reason to, what with having living gold. :wink:

On another note its appalling that they would do this, the fighters are not too expensive and surely to maintain a good relationship you would simply buy the fish, as well as having morals.

ive heard the best guard 'dogs' are geese, i hate geese absolutely viscious to you no matter what. :-?

No its not the first time - one went missing 6 months ago (no it did not die) :(

Only one person plus myself and the seller (I purchased this one) knew I had it - they saw it. I mentioned that I believed it wasn't a forum member so you didn't look at each other sideways. :roll: I don't think this should be a closed forum as its a hobby and people should be encouraged to gain knowledge. However I am worried as I showed some of my plecs at the same time (but not all of them). :evil:

The door is not within our section so the dog doesn't pay attention to people going around there. We live on a large site with security gates and cameras which unfortunately do not extend to around our houses. I did wake up to a scrapping noise at 3.30am this morning but thought one of my children had rolled over and hit the wall.

However a new lock and padlock will be going on the shed.

I posted this to warn others, I know some of you are already aware of this sort of thing. From now on my tanks will only be able to be viewed if I know the people already. Its a sad state of affairs and one that goes against the fact that I want to show others what can be achieved and how to go about it.

I am now going to email the person I purchased this fish and the other breeders from and see if I can replace her.