Had to get out of fish breeding for a while.... again

Aaron-Betta

I have only been at my new job for 4 weeks and already I'm having a holiday. I wasn't concentrating last monday morning (was literally waiting for the jug to boil for my morning coffee) and my printing press tried eating my hand. Ended up partially de-gloving my hand (peeled the skin and meat off my palm). Yes I have pics because apparantly I'm sick.

Of course it had to be my right hand because I'm right handed, so being a lefty now is frustrating. Even using the computer is harder.

I had to pass on most of my fish and shut down the tanks again for a while as I can't do maintenance and clean them properly :(

I really hate monday mornings, they ruin my weekends!

I happened to be printing the back of warehouse reciepts so I had "money back guarantee" printed on my hand which we all had a chuckle about.

Still havn't figured out how to:

Put socks on with one hand

Do the top button or clip up on trousers

Tie shoelaces one handed

And thas just getting dressed in the morning, lol.

Going to the plastic surgury clinic tomorrow to see if my palm is still alive or if i'll have to get a skin graft off my thigh. Fingers crossed. (on one hand :lol: )

Still havn't figured out how to:

Put socks on with one hand

Go sockless?

Do the top button or clip up on trousers

leave top button un-done, wear trackies (youre on holiday after all) :lol:

Tie shoelaces one handed

My fav - get someone to tie your laces then just slip shoes on an off leaving them done up. Laces are very over-rated anyway

Ouch!

Please don't post the pics here. Email them to those who requested to see them.

At least you will eventually be able to use the hand again once it has healed. Now you know what it is like for someone who has had a stroke :cry:

My mother in law was paralysed down her right side from a stroke at the age of 42. She eventually learned to do all sorts of things and was qute inventive when it came to doing stuff without asking for help.

The thing most find worst, when unable to use their right hand, is wiping their bottom :-?

Yeah... what a bummer dude.

Thank god for Velcro - no more shoe laces to tie up

Track pants - no need for zips.

Slippers - no need for socks

Hope these suggestions ease your frustration.

Oh.. find someone else to clean your tanks.

:roll: :wink: :lol:

Ouch, sorry to hear of your injury and that it's making you cut back on fishkeeping. I hope you heal quickly.

I work in the engineering field so I've seen some wicked injuries and I've received a few. Hands can be the worst, who knew they were so useful? or handy? :D

I'm now working in the foundry industry and we have to be extra aware of what's going on. As you'd imagine molten steels are very unforgiving. We even have to watch what we wear, natural materials only.

Thanks for the kind words everyone :)

"imsweet" - I dont like shoes without socks. (also have to take care of my feet coz it looks like they want to take a skin graft from there to replace a part of my palm)

I dont own any trackies, only have dickies shorts and trousers, jeans and denim shorts. And shoes, some I can slip on without worrying about laces, but others I have to ask someone to tie for me.

"Wok" - are you offering to clean 20 tanks for me ;)

"Sharkie" - Been on antibiotics till today, so no drinking for me. :(

"Phoenix44" - 6-8 weeks of healing and a couple of months of hand therapy to get it close to how it was before.

Went to the clinic today and saw it for the first time in a week, it doesn't look too bad considering. Could have been worse, so I think I got away lightly. Was amazed about how much movement and strength lost already. Have to start with simple excercises like touching my thumb to my fingertips, (cant touch my little finger or ring fingertips yet) spreading my hand out flat and trying to make a fist etc. Lots of massaging to stop my hand from closing.

Anyway, some photos are on my photobucket if anyone wants to look. (kids, ask your parents first :lol: :roll: )

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l282/Aaron-Betta/

OSH had a field day. The printing press I was using had hardly any safety features on it because it's old. It now has new guards etc to make them happy.

For those that see the pics, you could literally open my palm up fully and see the muscles, tendons and some bone. (am i sick to find it interesting? :-? ) Waiting for the surgeon to email me those pics though.