Lost, stolen or eaten?

Caryl

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like when we got the car converted and it came back with the automatic transmssion wrecked and leaking water everywhere. The insurance company wouldn't pay out and claimed is was an act of god. (God is a boy racer?) You might have to employ Billy Connelly to sue the lady. Either that or get rid of big bird.

I think thet were stolen, they seem pritty tame when its feeding time in the picture so could have been a quick few scoops with a net... although it would look suspisouse walking aroung with a big fishing net haha. I dont think it would be the birds as they would still be hanging out or seen at some point... and there would likely be some fish still cowaring under the deck. that realy sucks about your fish!

hope there are some fry in there to populate again.

Would recomend putting up the mesh again to stop birds, people, aliens and god lol.

I FOUND THEM!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

It seems they have been Christmas shopping :lol:

I went down today and lo and behold, I saw a flash of orange. Dropped a bit of food in but little interest. Looked under the deck - and there they all were this time, swimming about.

I can only assume a combination of the water turning green lately, plus the cool snap, caused them to go deep and stop eating. I was aware they might be there but the water was too green to see them but was worried because they didn't seem to be eating. It is also possible they have been frightened as well which has kept them out of sight.

Here is the pond today. Love the black clouds in the background! I think we will get a downpour soon;

PondDec08.jpg

Here they are, blurry cos they are under the deck, but you can see how green the water is;

fishreturned.jpg

theyreback.jpg

Has anyone used the barley straw extract? Does it work? Barley straw doesn't seem to be grown locally :roll:

Are you suggesting God sent them shopping Alan? :lol:

I am pretty sure the extract works on green water, not just blue/green algae.

I was right about the impending downpour too. We went to have lunch in town to celebrate my dad's 77th birthday (didn't think he would make this one as he has been very ill with a perforated gall bladder and not long out of hospital) and it bucketed down! It is now bright and sunny and very humid :roll:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
(what are goldfish like to eat??)

Goldfish and carp are a quite disgusting and repulsive taste, I've tried carp before... vomit-smiley-015.gif

However Silver Dollars pan fried with bit of garlic and butter are quite nice.

I know in the US it's becoming very popular to use motion activated surveillance cameras with fish ponds. Be it birds, cats, aliens or the local teenagers... then again the last two might be the same :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hYBvJ1jvpg

Stu :)

In a pond that size i think that would be the only way to go. I have read you can put bales of barley straw in to help the problem but it takes time to work. The extract is quite dear and would think you would need a fair bit of it.

Oh the joys of being a National Geographic member. I know somewhere near a river in SA they do with tetras what we do with whitebait :o

Besides don't locals near two certain African lakes have cichlids on menu 2-3 times a week?

:o

*Makes note to never invite Stu to my place*

:wink:

Don't worry I haven't eaten Silver Dollar, looking at mine there can't be much meat on them.

Stu :)

TM I tried the JBL product but it had no effect whatsoever. There does not seem to be anyone locally selling barley straw (all grape vines here). I was going to try the extract. You are right, I would need at least a whole bottle of it. :roll:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This happened to me a few days ago. I moved my goldfish outside and When I woke up the next morning to give them a visit, one of my largest Comet's corpse was near the pond. I was shocked. All but one survived.

Don't know what got them, cats maybe or ducks. :cry: