who's going to be broke this Xmas?

Dave+Amy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well if your going to be having a house party we will be there with bells on lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

plan's been stalled - Amys mum might not be going away to Aucks anymore hence will need to find new place for a boozey BBQ and what's worse might be spending Xmas day with the aunt :o

Our family has decided we will all make things for each other - out of stuff we already have. Those who cannot make stuff will give vouchers such as a voucher for four dinners during the year, or a computer clean ........ etc. We are looking forward to seeing what everyone has come up with

Xmas does not have to be expensive, it is the thought that counts. Once upon a time people made presents and gave them with warmth and love. Nowadays some people seem to think the cost of the item reflects the amount of love and affection that they have to offer.

LOL my parents are JUST like that. My Mum wants to know what I bought my Dad for Christmas and how much it cost and vice versa, and then if I spend $55 on Dad and $50 on Mum it means I love Dad more. Yes and they are serious. And they divorced 30 years ago!

we never bought x mas presents in my family. instead mum and dad would calculate what presents would cost and then donate it all to charity. usually amounted to a one off donation of about 10-15k - made us all feel a lot happier knowing that some poor kid out there was getting a warm blanket or a teddy to snuggle up to.

we never bought x mas presents in my family. instead mum and dad would calculate what presents would cost and then donate it all to charity. usually amounted to a one off donation of about 10-15k - made us all feel a lot happier knowing that some poor kid out there was getting a warm blanket or a teddy to snuggle up to.

that's so awesome!!

jeez you must have a big family or expensive tastes?

small immediate family - mum, dad, brother and I - but presents add up - household stuff - pets, other family..... lol

on a more selfish note - the tax advantages of donations are good so you may as well.

plus we have all we NEED. its only fair that orpahns and poor kids from asia and africa should have the essentials. I'd hate to think how some kids grow up without a stuffed toy or basic clothes, nutritious food etc.....

they would however get me a couple of fish or something, lol.

:o Jeez, wish my parents had that much money to throw around when i was a kid. I was lucky to get $200-300 worth of presents and was happy with it.

point isn't the money. we took so much pride in knowing that other people were being helped in a good way. we were never showered with gifts either. infact if we got 300$$ worth of gifts we'd be thrilled too, lol.. its a good principle to live by one day my kids will be the same. rather have no kids than have spoilt kids as my mum says, ha ha.

I'm not broke for christmas cos i buy cheap stuff :)

And me and my sister go halfs on presents for our parents to make it even cheaper (and that way she doesn't have to think of what to get them, but still getting the credit...)

And I buy the presents a couple of months in advance, $20 won't dent the bank too badly once a month, but if i buy them all at once $60 could dent the bank (i can't save money to save myself)

last Xmas we were in Aussie spending $3K each on clothes and seeing the place right before Dec so when we got back we were both poor as, then we got even poorer when we decided to buy each other expensive presents :roll: who would've thought a Seiko watch would be over $700!

im over xmas presents the whole present thing is just a big money spinner but there can be alot of good thing about xmas like it brings families together (some maybe the opposite lol) and in general most people i find to be in good spirits.

just dont get why ppl have to keep up with the jones's and go broke in doing so and alot of kids out there dont really appreciate it :-? not all but hmm

when ya get what ya given you appreciate it alot more than when you get what you expect year in year out.

Il be happy if its a sunny day :lol:

WOW 300 hundred bucks for xmas? thats heaps

Yeah jeepers that's what I was thinking!! Haha my Dad is really rich but I still get birthday presents from garage sales with a comment like 'sorry not much money for christmas this year' and I think hmm maybe cos you jut BOUGHT A NEW JAGUAR!!! Oh gosh I need therapy don't I.

My husband's going to Aussie next week for work so I think all our presents are going to come from Ikea. $10 presents that look cool and you can't get in NZ. Fine by me!