who's going to be broke this Xmas?

Dave+Amy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who's going to be broke this xmas?

na i do what caryl does even tho i'm from a later generation...overall this is the safest way. remember you buy one HP...then two.. next thing you're paying a lot of interest. next thing you got a global recession with a 'credit crunch' when ppl can't pay it back lol. tho you could argue you could make interest by keeping your funds in your account for longer overall it's safer to pay with cash because it stops you spending beyond your means/earnings. don't forget heathcotes, noel leemings etc are rolling in silly ppl's hardearned cash :) must admit tho, big lures now aye.. 2 years interest free for example.

I'm getting my xmas present tomorrow, so we'll be broke now and hopefully recovered by xmas.

8)

haha great idea! is the present a fish by any chance?

I don't use my credit cards to buy Christmas presents. Its about the only time of the year that they are kept in my wallet! :oops: If I don't have the money then I spend less. We'd rather spend the day together and have a great time than get lots of expensive gifts from each other. Makes the day more relaxed and more fun. I also make sure that any credit cards are paid off by end of November.

What anoys me is when retailers don't give a discount for cash. If they give interest free for 18 months they are paying interest so it is added to the purchase price. If they accept credit cards they are paying at least 4% so I ask for that off for cash and if not they get to pay the 4% and I pay it all off each month and avoid the interest. I hate paying interest so pay the credit card off every month. That way I only spend as much as I can pay off. Christmas has little to do with Christ and a lot to do with profit so we treat it pretty much like any other day but spend time with friends and family.

I enjoy the actualy christmas day a whole lot more these days. No more enforced christmas with the seriously Catholic in-laws ever!

I tend to bum around home, get out the sewing machine and make a pair of trousers into shorts and do a bit of mending that has been sitting around all year....

The risk is if I do it this year, third time becomes a tradition that must never be broken!

We are doing a secret santa sort of christmas this year and I already have it pretty much sorted

although I am travelling to Cambodia in Dec so will likely to be broke after that.

S'ok though, I'm used to it having recently been a student = 4 years of broke (the main thing is to avoid more debt, dont even want to think how big my loan is at the mo).

Christmas is going to be many rellies trying not to kill each other (accidentally via severe gardening - Grandpa's traditional christmas habit and on purpose - grr, small and irritating cousins to be fed to the dogs?) :D

its gonna be fun!

although I will be missing those who cant be with us (A cousin in Afghanistan and dad in Cambodia and rellies in Belgium etc...)

christmas is all about people and excessive consumption of christmas pudding (and other great foods), the pressies are just a bonus.

its just my missus i gotta watch out for, she wants a new cell phone, a puppy, a hairstraightener that costs like $300 - bloody rip-off if ya ask me. plus she wants to go away somewhere.

jus lucky i jus got a pay rise and its getting back dated to july, and my xmas bonus coming up very soon.

but im happy she agreed to new toys for my car and a 5 foot-ish tank for me :)

its just my missus i gotta watch out for, she wants a new cell phone, a puppy, a hairstraightener that costs like $300 - bloody rip-off if ya ask me. plus she wants to go away somewhere.

jus lucky i jus got a pay rise and its getting back dated to july, and my xmas bonus coming up very soon.

but im happy she agreed to new toys for my car and a 5 foot-ish tank for me :)

She must want GHD's. They might be expensive but they are very good hair straighteners.

What anoys me is when retailers don't give a discount for cash. If they give interest free for 18 months they are paying interest so it is added to the purchase price. If they accept credit cards they are paying at least 4% so I ask for that off for cash and if not they get to pay the 4% and I pay it all off each month and avoid the interest. I hate paying interest so pay the credit card off every month. That way I only spend as much as I can pay off. Christmas has little to do with Christ and a lot to do with profit so we treat it pretty much like any other day but spend time with friends and family.

I remember my parents buying a $4000 lounge suite with cash then mum somehow bartered the manager to throw in 4 bar stools at RRP$100 each instead of an actual discount on the suite...lol

I remember my parents buying a $4000 lounge suite with cash then mum somehow bartered the manager to throw in 4 bar stools at RRP$100 each instead of an actual discount on the suite...lol

ahhh crafty :D

yea i reckon xmas should be more the sentiment, making something and spending time. and getting something really cool always helps.

Xmas does not have to be expensive, it is the thought that counts. Once upon a time people made presents and gave them with warmth and love. Nowadays some people seem to think the cost of the item reflects the amount of love and affection that they have to offer.

A friend was given a 10c second-hand Mills and Boon for her birthday last year.

It was BRILLIANT! We all sat around reading select bits out in our best dramatic voices. Best stomach muscle workout I have had since quitting bellydance classes....

There were even repeat sessions!

(of course suitability depends on the nature of the recipient)