Does anyone know of someone that wants an unusual pet???

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i grew up on a farm in northland. IMO the problem with the possums isn't so much that they eat the fauna, it's the fact that they are such prolific breeders so huge numbers eat alot. if their numbers are contained then they won't be such a problem. my friend has a farm at the base of the Tangihua Ranges. We would go shooting every week when the hedge apple trees were in fruit & we would shoot between 120-160 per two hour trip. it didn't matter how often we went out the numbers would always be there. the "possum runs" there looked like catle tracks there were so many.

my cousin went on a trip with 6 others to a remote area of bush between kaikohe & dargaville. they went at night, each man had a gun & 200 rounds. there were so many possums there they could hear them walking around under the trees. every man ran out of ammo & he reckons they did not get half of them! im not sure how many of you are aware of their numbers but they are simply out of control hence the need for widespread kulling with poisons etc.

as for the topic of the thread, that little one aint guna do anything so find it a new home. good luck.

Ah yes, it must be a favourite past-time of northlanders! I remember at school we'd go shooting on a friends farm, usually with a semi-automatic .22 with a powerful scope and a 5-shot semi-auto shotgun! :lol:

One night we got over 20 possums out of one big old pine tree in the middle of a paddock!!!

Ah yes, it must be a favourite past-time of northlanders! I remember at school we'd go shooting on a friends farm, usually with a semi-automatic .22 with a powerful scope and a 5-shot semi-auto shotgun! :lol:

One night we got over 20 possums out of one big old pine tree in the middle of a paddock!!!

its certainly part of farm life & hey most of us have a destuctive side. as for the scatter guns, i use a skb pump action & a stoaga semi which are pretty handy for that. the other gun of choice is a ruger 8 shot semi .22 with scope & silencer. i prefer the synthetic stocked guns.

Ummmm I thought this thread was about rehoming this person's possum.... seems to have gone completely off track... It went from some of us wondering what the pet was, to suggestions on what to do with the possum (some a bit full on)...... to peoples thoughts on possums.. to now talking about what sort of weapons used to pop creatures off with... back to this possum that needs a home :wink:

If pufferfishnz would like the topic split then a mod would be willing to do so, but it is entirely up to him/her.

Not a worry David R, just seemed the topic was kinda taking a downward plummet, when it was originally a possum rehoming thread.

its certainly part of farm life & hey most of us have a destuctive side. as for the scatter guns, i use a skb pump action & a stoaga semi which are pretty handy for that. the other gun of choice is a ruger 8 shot semi .22 with scope & silencer. i prefer the synthetic stocked guns.

OMGOMG i use a semi automatic machine charged super pumped pressurised top loaded manual silencing assualt rifle!!

Yeah, talking about extinguishing a life and guns makes you guys sound pretty awesome.

This possum didnt choose to be born into this world as a possum. Why should anything be killed becuase it doesnt fit the human ideals?? Humans do more damage to this planet and its life than all of the pests and noxious organisms put together. Extinguishing the lives of animals doesnt make you guys sound any more manly than the next guy so stop kidding yourself. This person obviously cares very much for their pet and they didnt post this thread to discuss how to kill it.

Im just sorry I cant re-home your baby.

OMGOMG i use a semi automatic machine charged super pumped pressurised top loaded manual silencing assualt rifle!!

Yeah, talking about extinguishing a life and guns makes you guys sound pretty awesome.

This possum didnt choose to be born into this world as a possum. Why should anything be killed becuase it doesnt fit the human ideals?? Humans do more damage to this planet and its life than all of the pests and noxious organisms put together. Extinguishing the lives of animals doesnt make you guys sound any more manly than the next guy so stop kidding yourself. This person obviously cares very much for their pet and they didnt post this thread to discuss how to kill it.

Im just sorry I cant re-home your baby.

Would you please come remove the rats in my ceiling? Oh, and the spiders please. Since it's such a horrible crime to kill them, it's your responsibility come get them and save them from death...

Extinguishing the lives of animals doesnt make you guys sound any more manly than the next guy so stop kidding yourself. .

that is exactely why men say anything, to make ourselves more manly! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This person obviously cares very much for their pet and they didnt post this thread to discuss how to kill it.

which is why i stated this pet would not be any bother & wished them good luck in doing so. :)

after reading all this i dont know if many of you actually like animals. they are all living things remember.

but obviously no-one has a heart big enough to give me a hand with my beautiful loving possum. wont ask for help in the future about anything. :x :x :x

after reading all this i dont know if many of you actually like animals. they are all living things remember.

but obviously no-one has a heart big enough to give me a hand with my beautiful loving possum. wont ask for help in the future about anything. :x :x :x

I would help If i could, A lot of us help would if we could tho quite a few with comments that were uncalled for.

Yeah, cause I need ANOTHER animal to take care of. :P

The worst animals are those two leg ones, they grow hoods and call out bro. Some have funny coloured things with Mob and Black on there backs and you can't shoot them either but they sure do run away when they see a gun, usually the best kind are pump action but the faster running ones a 308 works real well to. Usually a problem more in the NI but have also been found in Perth where there is open season for the locals but since they got the big one a couple of years ago doesn't seem to be such a problem. Been waiting for our season for a while now.

The worst animals are those two leg ones, they grow hoods and call out bro. Some have funny coloured things with Mob and Black on there backs and you can't shoot them either but they sure do run away when they see a gun, usually the best kind are pump action but the faster running ones a 308 works real well to. Usually a problem more in the NI but have also been found in Perth where there is open season for the locals but since they got the big one a couple of years ago doesn't seem to be such a problem. Been waiting for our season for a while now.

:hail::hail::hail::hail: i have no guns but a rat trap 8)

Get it put down... humanely. Or just hit it with an axe or something :S

They are definitely not the sort of animal you want to release, If the authorities found out, they would pick you up the the pigtails and swing you about. Not only that, but for the sake of the environment, don't let it go.

Should put down 1/2 the human population then as they cause more problems.