Does anyone know of someone that wants an unusual pet???

Thats what happened to our pet possum! I found a baby in the pouch of a mother that had been poisoned, we kept it for all of about 2 hours, from when I found it walking up the drive coming home from school until dad got home from work.

I'm glad though, it seemed a bit harsh at the time, but when they do so much damage to the native bush its not the kind of animal you want to get attached to.

There's a diference between having a non-native animal under control as a pet so it doesn't do any damage and having an invasive, destructive pest as a pet(Like how most people keep their cats)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont let it go,it wont live its been use to in captivity.That would be crawl.Its very sad some of the ideas on here.This is some ones pet that they love and they are asking for help.As hard as it will be,do the kind thing and have it put down.They dont know its happening,they just go into a deep sleep.

Even tho they are a pest I hope you find a good home for her. I think it is pretty sad some of the suggestions from people here on this thread, especially when people can see how close you are to her and how much you love her.

Or just hit it with an axe or something :S

Anyone need feeder for piranha

My mind boggles... :roll:

Hi There,

I have to say that I thought it was illeagal to keep a possum as a pet as they are classified as a noxious pet. You do need a permit.

In saying that try contacting Naturelands or Willowbank Wildlife park.

They may be able to help you out.

HTH

Navarre

Even tho they are a pest I hope you find a good home for her. I think it is pretty sad some of the suggestions from people here on this thread, especially when people can see how close you are to her and how much you love her.

My mind boggles... :roll:

I guess when you see what these things have done and still are doing to our flora and fauna, you understand why. Go and have a look at the Waipoua Forest and look at the white husks of giant Kauri trees, hundreds of years old, and killed by possums. It isn't the possums fault, its ours, but we need to do everything we can to help.

A bit like someone keeping a pet stoat or ferrit - should be against the law.

I guess when you see what these things have done and still are doing to our flora and fauna, you understand why. Go and have a look at the Waipoua Forest and look at the white husks of giant Kauri trees, hundreds of years old, and killed by possums. It isn't the possums fault, its ours, but we need to do everything we can to help.

A bit like someone keeping a pet stoat or ferrit - should be against the law.

Yeah you are right, it is not the possum fault, it is ours... however, the above points you have made have nothing to do with what I stated... I said that I realise they are a pest. However.... considering it has been kept already and here is someone looking for an appropriate responsible home.. then the points about axing it etc I see as uncalled for really, when the thread was started in the first place by someone who is asking if anyone out there is interested in taking her on, not asking for peoples negative comments... I would never keep one as a pet, infact I'm against the idea as I do believe that they are a pest to NZ.. yet I also am not insensitive enough to suggest some of the measures that have been stated. Would be great to see the possum go to a licensed zoo or something.

my mate(s) had a "pair" of ferrets, both were fixed, very cool pets, but the damage one can do if it gets lost is incredible :/

Which is not much more than the damage that is done by a loose cat or dog. And I'd bet there are several hundred thousand times as many cat and dog owners that let them loose than ferret owners that do.

after not checking this for a day i am SHOCKED at what some people have said.

and yes i do understand that they are a pest, but they didnt ask to become this way. someone needs to think of something that they can spray on gorse or something that we dont need anymore so the possums can eat the gorse or whatever.

they do make great pets, i'd never let her go, i understand about the being tame thing.

I feel a little insulted by some of the comments. don't be cruel to animals, its not fair and you might come back as animal and then someone might shoot you with a gun.

if shes not released so cant eat trees and she cant have babies. so really everyone wins.

now if someone can come up with a plant they can eat that we dont need.....or some way to slow their reproduction down. eventually one day something will change and the possum population will decrease. but its like everything: you kill something off you effect everything else.

please no more cruel comments. there are animal lovers out there!

Which is not much more than the damage that is done by a loose cat or dog. And I'd bet there are several hundred thousand times as many cat and dog owners that let them loose than ferret owners that do.

so that makes it ok Ira??

One rouge dog can kill dozens of kiwis in one night, one lone fixed ferret will do the same, and both the owners, if able to be found, should be prosecuted.

so that makes it ok Ira??

One rouge dog can kill dozens of kiwis in one night, one lone fixed ferret will do the same, and both the owners, if able to be found, should be prosecuted.

But it's ok to let cats out and they'll just take an extra night to kill the dozens of kiwis?

We has our girl right from out of the pouch ith no hair, she gre quite big and I found someone up in auckland that could hav her out in a big aviary on her own, she was about 8 months old, she had a broken leg at abot 2months old and had to have it amputated, she didnt have TB nd was really healthy, anyway word of warning, she made the trip from PN to Auckland and then just dropped dead the next day, I think it was all too much for her as she thought of me as the only mum she knew and the stress of going was just too much. I still mis our 3 leggge baby..

But it's ok to let cats out and they'll just take an extra night to kill the dozens of kiwis?

Don't get me started on roaming cats!! If the stupid green party really cared for our native fauna then right at the top of their agenda would be placing strict restrictions on cats (similar to canada's where they must be desexed and registered, and aren't allowed to roam), but I guess that would make them too unpopular with the voters... :roll:

I guess people could say the same about fish, if you let a large central american cichlid go into a steam in summer it would probably devour a heap of native fish before the water got cold enough to kill it. I hope that doesn't give maf any ideas...

Thats fine Puttputt, at least you said sorry! lol! :lol:

That pix was her calling for her mum, who had been hit by a car and she was rescued .... :)

(Does look scarey really! lol!) :oops: :lol:

I was saying sorry about not thinking your photos were cute, I wasn't one of the bloodthirsty lot that wanted it hurt.

my brothers g/f mite want it they are in riwaka im going up there next weekend i can ask then and pm u from there computer as they mite also know some1 who would want it if they dont and this is as a pet

after not checking this for a day i am SHOCKED at what some people have said.

and yes i do understand that they are a pest, but they didnt ask to become this way. someone needs to think of something that they can spray on gorse or something that we dont need anymore so the possums can eat the gorse or whatever.

they do make great pets, i'd never let her go, i understand about the being tame thing.

I feel a little insulted by some of the comments. don't be cruel to animals, its not fair and you might come back as animal and then someone might shoot you with a gun.

if shes not released so cant eat trees and she cant have babies. so really everyone wins.

now if someone can come up with a plant they can eat that we dont need.....or some way to slow their reproduction down. eventually one day something will change and the possum population will decrease. but its like everything: you kill something off you effect everything else.

please no more cruel comments. there are animal lovers out there!

I have just done a huge report at uni on "The use of 1080 as a pest control for possums in New Zealand" and I agree with some comments, they are pests, they are destroying the forest, but at the same time they are animals, its not their fault that the settlers released them for meat and fur trading. But then there is the fact that New Zealand's only native mammal is a bat and that all other animals are considered pests and pretty much can be destroyed with probable cause.

NZ also has a HUGE feral cat problem. Absolutely massive, with cats roaming the forests and killing birds, the only difference between cats and possums though is that there are far more possums and possums also ravage the flora.

I don't agree with any animal being shot for being what it is, but I do understand where the conservationists are coming from.

I have just done a huge report at uni on "The use of 1080 as a pest control for possums in New Zealand" and I agree with some comments, they are pests, they are destroying the forest, but at the same time they are animals, its not their fault that the settlers released them for meat and fur trading. But then there is the fact that New Zealand's only native mammal is a bat and that all other animals are considered pests and pretty much can be destroyed with probable cause.

NZ also has a HUGE feral cat problem. Absolutely massive, with cats roaming the forests and killing birds, the only difference between cats and possums though is that there are far more possums and possums also ravage the flora.

I don't agree with any animal being shot for being what it is, but I do understand where the conservationists are coming from.

I think I almost did the same report. ;)

It is pretty shocking how much damage we humans have done to the NZ native habitat through the form of introduced pests. But, like it has already been said, it's not the pest's fault. So long as this possum is properly taken care of and cannot escape back into the wild, I see no reason why it should be put down.

I agree, the problem isn't with the animals per se, it is with peoples management of them. Nor can you really blame settlers for introducing a food source given how tough those times were (do a bit of research on Heaphy of The Heaphy Track fame if you want some insight into just how tough life for Maori and Settlers was). I'd also suggest some of those who think we should be blaming them and feral cats etc. might want to consider how invasive and destructive modern farming practices are (particularly effluent into our water) next time they are pulling some meat and frozen veges out of the cabinet down at the supermarket. You, me and our ancestors have had a far greater impact upon the environment than any other animal, whether it be directly or through mismanagement of other animals. What we should be doing is trying to understand our own impact.

I think we already understand the impact of possums, and strapping/shooting/poisoning them is the best way to deal with it. Yes its not their fault, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't kill them. Same goes for cats, but good luck persuading this nation of cat-lovers that little fluffy is actually vermin!