Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Setting up an aviary

Featured Replies

  • Replies 70
  • Views 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO that avairy will be good for canaries and finches like zebra or bengalese. i hand a similar aviary but alittle bigger with canaries in, which i put wooden venetian blinds on which could be rolled down at night and during bad weather

Post some pics of the avairy when you've set it up.

  • Author

I want them too! I love the canaries that look like wild green finches! and Also i saw in a shop a canary crossed with a goldfinch! was soooo awesome.

Still jealous.

But my aviary will be huge and landscaped complete with built in waterfall/water feature. So basically a slice of paradise in a cage and I'm going to have a patch of dirt in it where I will plant oats/wheat and things alike so they can grow and eat them much like in the wild. Ohhh im so excited I've been planning it for sooo long!

What kind of finches are you getting?

Hmmmph, now I am jealous of your imaginary one. I want to live there.

I am assuming that if I have more than one canary, the males won't sing?

ive heard that before but IME cock canaries do still sing if they have a mate but not as much, if you get two males they will try to out sing each other

  • Author

So what is all yous fellas preferences between budgies, canaries and lovebirds. I don't want something that will scream non-stop at the neighbours. I do love the sound of a canary singing. We had a canary for about 6 years called Basil. He was lovely.

I gotta say out of the 3 that you have listed, I love the budgies, especially a nice big brit show bird, with his big fat chest and crown... :D I love the interaction of budgies, the cleaning each other and beaking each other, very cute and the chit chat... I like canaries too tho... Lovebirds are pretty yet not sure I like the noise they make... she says as she has a big mouthed Alexandrine... :lol: However his chit chat is tolerable :lol:

I want them too! I love the canaries that look like wild green finches! and Also i saw in a shop a canary crossed with a goldfinch! was soooo awesome.

Still jealous.

But my aviary will be huge and landscaped complete with built in waterfall/water feature. So basically a slice of paradise in a cage and I'm going to have a patch of dirt in it where I will plant oats/wheat and things alike so they can grow and eat them much like in the wild. Ohhh im so excited I've been planning it for sooo long!

What kind of finches are you getting?

Love the idea :hail::bow::hail: . I love big setups that have all the stuff they'd have in the wild.

Oh yeah and I think you shoud have finches (I love finches).

  • Author

Can you have canaries and budgies together? I know you're not meant to have straight beaked and curved together, but are there exceptions? Budgies make the sweetest noises, but I love canaries. Hmm, I wish the guy who I bought it from would reply to my emails I want to collect it tomorrow!!

I thought that you couldn't have anything else with budgies?

Hmmm livingart will be the encyclopedia on bird compatibility I am sure :D

I had heard that hooks and straight beaks are not good combo, not sure as I have only kept budgies and our Alex..

Budgies can definately be housed with other hookbeaks Cam :D It's lovebirds that can be such a nuisance, so I have heard :lol:

  • Author
hi smallfawnyoungcat

LOL in real life I have more of a Big Lumpy White Maine Coon look going, rather than a tinytawnykitten (which was my fav book when a wee girlie)

Hmm, I can see it is only one small step from MTS to MAS

straight beaks with straight beaks

hook beaks with hook beaks

generally thats the rule

java sparrows are a straight beak that alot of people keep with budgies as they have a decent beak on them

lovebirds are nice but best kept in a pair as can have a go at other birds

personally i like canaies cant get enough of their song, but it depends on your own pref

I had 2 male zebra finches with a female budgie and a male budgie in an avery smaller that the one you've got. And they got on fine.

I had a couple of bengalese finches in my room and they were awesome :) I also had budgies in my room and every morning they would yell at the top of their lungs! shortly after many mornings of that I moved them to another room :)

straight beaks with straight beaks

hook beaks with hook beaks

generally thats the rule

java sparrows are a straight beak that alot of people keep with budgies as they have a decent beak on them

lovebirds are nice but best kept in a pair as can have a go at other birds

personally i like canaies cant get enough of their song, but it depends on your own pref

that is right on the nail

canaries singing will enhance the natural ambience in your garden :D

oooh that sounded posh didn't it :oops:

You can't go past Budgies, Hook bills are so much better than soft bills. When the Budgies bred you could have a cuddle Budgie for inside. Word of caution if you are addicted to keeping fish, parrots are a lot more addictive. Starting with Budgies is a good stepping-stone for when you get a full size parrot, Anorak and Morris Miner

  • Author
You can't go past Budgies, Hook bills are so much better than soft bills. When the Budgies bred you could have a cuddle Budgie for inside. Word of caution if you are addicted to keeping fish, parrots are a lot more addictive. Starting with Budgies is a good stepping-stone for when you get a full size parrot, Anorak and Morris Miner

oooh can I wear socks with sandals too? My husband works for Stats so he might be able to get me some good sandals from there.

Oh yeah and I think you shoud have finches (I love finches).

Agreed!!

Can't go passed finches! Nevermind them parrot things 8)

Went on holiday with girlfriend before we starting keeping birds and she said that we should go to the bird park. I laugh and made a joke about Anoka’s and MMs, think rimmed glass etc. Now the jokes on me if I had more time and cash it would be like a zoo at home. Next year hope to go to S America to see the clay licks etc but depends on getting someone to look after our house parrots. The amount of times I've gone down to the shops with a good load on my back is just a joke, usually only notice it when you see it all over the car seat when u get home.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.