Laptop advice

bulldogod

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yip, I'm with the group, I've got a compaq and it's being 'fixed' right now because all of a sudden it decided not to turn on 75% of the time. This all started happening just 10 days before it's 12 month warranty ran out. Hopefully they won't be able to fix it and just give me my money back so I can buy a better one.

Whats wrong with the price and those specs? Seems like a pretty good deal if u ask me, however goto a Computer Store with that model and see what they can do it for, most likely it'll be cheaper than that.

I'm not a fan of vista myself, but to be honest you aren't really going to have much choice in a year or 2, everything will be vista and the support for XP will gradually disappear.

$1700 and its only a 1.83GHz processor, 1GB Ram and a shared video card all that adds up to old spec, it will be ok if it was running XP but with vista you really need at least core duo2, 2.0Ghz CPU with at least 2GB of ram

like you say everything will be vista in a next year or so. So its best to spend a little bit more and get a laptop that would run vista well than run it so so...

Um, it IS a dual core.

Hence "Core 2 Duo". Basically the replacement for the Pentium Ds. Only a lot faster. Also, a Core 2 Duo running at 1.8GHz is much faster than a P4 running at 3GHz Fastest notebook processor thats a reasonable price is running around a 2.4 DC

However, its not that cheap.

Always make sure you get 2gb of RAM

Also, get Vista. After the 3-4 hours it takes to get used to the new start menu, and removing your mouse, its much nicer to use than XP. I havent had VISTA crash on me yet, only applications that would normally result in a BSOD under XP. Win Win@

Love Vista.. running vista ultimate 64 bit on 4 desktops and vista premium 32 bit on the laptop.all sweet had no problems.

if you are going to load old xp software on vista just make sure their are drivers

So if and when you are buying, dont go for the old software keep up with the times

• 5 months later...

Looking for a laptop., but so many models. Need advise, do we have any experts.

Looking to spend about $2000-$3000k.

Was looking at

thinkPad R61 C2D T8300 2.4GHz 2GB 250GB NVQuadro BlueRayRW BT FP 15.4" VB (8918A25)

I have an HP Pavillion DV9514TX and it's been good so far, except no XP drivers so I'm stuck with Vista, but I try to use Ubuntu as much as possible anyhow. My only quibble is the screen has a somewhat narrow vertical viewing angle. I had a couple of Toshibas before that, they were great. I'd probably go Tosh again if I had to buy one now.

Stay away from Dell, I work in IT and our helpdesk guys are constantly having to re-image them or get warranty repairs done. My last job used HP and they seemed reliable.

Sony Vaios are overpriced, IMHO.

I can ask Grant about it tonight reef (we own a computer company and sell a lot of laptops). I am at work at the moment and don't know where Grant is - oh yes I do, I can track him via his GPS. Looks like he is almost home for lunch. I will get him to look here 8)

sadly on my second compaq laptop safe to say they are crap and you get what you pay for went for the cheapest they had in stock both times first time was a impulse buy second time needed a replacement in a hurry and not enough cash bad move have to upgrade again soon as this one got dropped now has a ink mark on the screen

next time will go for biggest hard drive as im a huge movie music gaming and internet fan so i would like a faster computer also debating weather to go back to desktop

Only by a laptop if you travel a lot.

If the laptop spends 99% of its time at home its a bad purchase outright.

Laptops are harder to repair, more costly to repair, harder to upgrade, and due to heat, size, and battery restrictions are slower and less capable than a desktop of the same price.

Laptops are still capable computers, but if you don't NEED portable, you're wasting money.

I don't travel with mine, the most travel it is going to get soon is travelling to fish club nights... to use for auctions every second month :lol:

I got a laptop simply for the reason of having it on my lap and moving around the house with it if need be :lol:

They are convenient for those purposes, or if you don't want a big hefty comp set up with desk etc and want the space for an extra fish tank instead :)

Hubby's computer runs through our LCD screen, so we just put the computer, mouse and keyboard tucked away..

I think it comes down to what best suits your needs 8)

Grant was only home long enough to grab some equipment he needed and then off to Kaikoura so he wil look at this question tonight.

It was his idea to put the tracking in, and very useful it is too. If he wants to do something sneaky he can turn it off and claim equipment malfunction :lol:

Nowadays I have moved away from using a laptop to using a descent desktop computer. Cheaper to buy, easier to service and upgrade etc.

What I did tho, for when I need to be mobile is I brought an Asis EEE Pc, which is a ultra portable, and I just tranfer whatever docs I need between the two machines.

For my personal situation I find it almost perfect