Laptop advice

bulldogod

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Advive is always good to get :)

What did you want to use it for? If you wanted to do pretty much anything other than surf the internet I would advise trying to find one with a video card not video card shared with ram, you can get ones with 256 geforce cards built in makes it go soo much better, we got an NEC laptop have since found they are hunks of junk so would stay away from them, would also go with at least 2gb ram and as large a hdd as you can afford unless you want to go with a portable hdd which are cheap on trademe.. I think Dell do some good laptops online?

My work sells both Sony Vaio and Acer laptops. I've got a Sony Vaio myself, and prior to that I've had about 3 different acers. I found the Vaio to be superior in many ways, and wont be buying anything else. Yes they're expensive, but you actually are paying for the quality. Only prob is that now they're all running Windows Vista, which I find terrible.

What we need to know though, is whats your budget. With cheap entry level laptops, you are getting what you pay for, and it doesn't really matter what brand you buy. Not saying thats a bad thing, but being in the industry and seeing a whole range, theres a big difference in performance & quality if you are willing to spend an extra $500

As others said it depends on the budget.

We have sold many Acers over the years and found them to be reliable. Not the highest performance but good value for money. Have a Toshiba for my own use and have sold a number of Toshibas as well. No problems with them.

The Sony Vaio are very good and also look good! I don't consider them particularly good value for money but then they perform well and are very well built. If looks and top build quality are important then seriously consider the Sony range.

Many makes are still available with XP Pro. Certainly Acer and Toshiba have a number of laptops available with XP Pro. I would rather buy XP than Vista for my own use.

If you do get one with Vista then you will need and absolute minimum of 1Gb RAM. Many low end machines only have 512Mb fitted when you should really specify 2Gb for Vista to perform. Low end ones usually have an 80Gb HDD so bear that in mind as well.

For best performance get one with separate video RAM, not shared with the main RAM. Not too important for basic office type use but a must for graphics, video etc.

Check out the number of USB ports and what other ports are available. Very few have a serial port now. Probably not important for you but it is for my use which is why I bought the Toshiba as it was one of the few that still had one. Also check the DVD is not a CD writer with DVD playback only. Ensure it's capable of writing double layer DVDs. Some aren't.

Of course specs are more important than brand, but I have to say the ASUS laptops that both my dad and I have are brilliant. A computer knowledgeable (read: computer geek) friend of mine recommended them. When dads first Dell laptop got stolen he took the advice and got an ASUS and loves it (dads a computer geek too haha). No problems with mine either

And I'd say try to avoid Vista. The laptops out now still arent quite capable of handling it (last time I checked), so vista slows everything down quite a bit

have you thought about if you would be wanting to get something better latter on in life as laptops are extremely difficult to upgrade. If you could handle a desktop then they are easier to upgrade in the end.

I have used, serviced and bought heaps of laptops for the place that i work for and have never had a problem with Toshiba's. i own a dell myself but if i was going to every get another computer i would get a desktop as they can be upgraded.

I would stay away from Celeron and Duron chips as they are slow and there isn't much different in price to get better performing chips like Intel dual core cpus and athlon chips.

Get the best you can afford.... in 6 months time new models will be out in the market to replace the one you just bought :x

i agree, both those brands are value for money

i have a very high end sony vaio and i only think its ok not great

Agreed with all of the above.

I actually sell them, as i'm currently on a public forum, and not in shop I can say what I honestly think about products.

- HP - Average at best.

- Compaq - Frustrating. Same company has HP, dont have the same support service

- Acer - "I've got an acer, its a great machine"... "How many did you have before you got one that worked?"

- Dell - I hate dell with a passion.

- Sony - Overpriced as all hell.

- IBM / Lenovo - Haven't really delt with them

- Toshiba - Market leader in many ways, great _b)

- ASUS - I own one, and love it.

Looking to get a laptop,

which of these would be the best and value

HP Pavilion dv9612TX Notebook

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storef ... iew/XC5779

HP Pavilion dv9611TX NB

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storef ... iew/XC5800

HP Pavilion dv6615TX NB

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storef ... iew/XC5801

Don't buy the DV / DX series notebooks. They are the "Retail" models, and don't have the build quality of the NX / NC series, don't have the support really.. and.. Eww compaq. Mine died 3 times in a year. Never again. And each time the bloody technicians diagnosed the fault wrong.

Whiney sound top left hand side. They replaced the battery and monitor. (faulty capacitor on the m/board).

System would not boot. They ordered a new power pack & battery. Was the CPU.

Catastrophic failure of the mainboard (Smoking) they ordered the keyboard.

I know this, because I rang the technician and asked whtat was wrong and what parts they had ordered to fix them :/

We sell them too and only disagree with one - Acer.

We have only had trouble with 1 in 10 years. In fact we have one company that specifies them because they have had no trouble with all the ones they have had over the years. We have had 3 ourselves with no problems. Presently have a Toshiba because it had a serial port which was essential for Grant's work and they were the only one that had it at the time. Good and reliable.

Have sold a few ASUS without any problems too.

\Big problem with Dell and HP/Compaq is that they tend to have all sorts of other rubbish software they think is essential, commonly known as crapware and a good reason to stay away from them, apart from their reliability problem. Always cringe when someone rings up with one needing repairs (and we get a lot of them).