Laptop advice

bulldogod

I use the internet on my phone alot, get charged $0.01 per kb, when you change the settings from HTML to simple phone form it doesn't cost that much. Usually look at fnzas while at work, and just see it as type, not fancy pics or buttons etc, unless I want to see them, then you have an option too.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to buy (and support) quite a few laptops (30-40 or more a year). To me the choice is Dell or HP, and it all comes down to service, pretty much most of the parts users are of the same quality from the same factories (accept the really cheap brands acer asus etc that are the same parts but the bad quality ones). Dell and HP would allow me to replace parts myself without voiding warranty and have them to me same or next day, if they did the repair it was usually next day. The only time a had a run of poor failures (with desktops) it was hard drives after the first couple failed and I tested a couple more and found they were out of spec, Dell supplied me with a box of hard drives so I didn't have to wait for them.

At one stage I was getting a 1 in 6 failure of IBM hardware out of the box ie unpack, plug in, no go. I'd never by PC's or laptops off them again.

I have a hp, which is okay, for what I use, wish it could play more games though! But so is life.

I WISH I had gotten an Asus!! I saw an Asus I fell in love with like a week after I got my hp and the next one I get is definitely going to be an Asus, everything about them is just so damn sexy. Built in web-cam and mic, sleek. . . just damn fine.

:lol: :lol:

Its a hard choice as so many brand/models.

Have used ibm/acers for over 20 years at work and never had a problem with any of the laptops.

If i was to get a laptop what should i get in it? any special things that could be useful?? tv turner etc

Looking to maybe get a desktop and a laptop.

Grant here:

Our experience has been the opposite of suphew's. Poor Dells and HPs but great Acer, Asus and Toshibas. No problems with any of them. A lot of bad experience with HP/Compaq. Haven't had a lot to do with IBM/Lenovo but what I have had to do with them made me decide not to deal with them.

With your budget you can get a very fancy machine. Do you want it for portability or just the fact it is in all the 1 unit? How about this that just came through yesterday?

Acer notebook with Blu-ray drive

Vista home premium

Intel core 2 duo mobile processor

250GB SATA hard drive

2GB DDR2 RAM

8600 GS graphics with dedicated 250Mb RAM

15.4" screen

built in web cam

5 in 1 card reader

about $1620 inc GST and freight with a $149 cash back (until 31 July)

For a TV tuner, due to the rapidly changing TV systems in this country, you need to be very careful what you get and it will depend on where you are. Any extra device like this will have to connect via USB.

You might want to consider a separate wireless keyboard and mouse and some good speakers for when you're using it at home.

As for anything else to get with it, it depends what you want it for. Are you going to use it on dial-up or broadband? If broadband, you might want to add a wireless acess point to your broadband modem so you can use the laptop anywhere in the house. The laptop has the wireless built-in.

If you don't need the portability go for a desktop machine as you finish up with a bigger, better screen, decent keyboard and mouse and the capability to add much better peripherals to add to it if you want as time goes on. Hunching over a laptop is damned uncomfortable for any period of time unless you put it on a stand and use the separate keyboard and mouse as suggested above.

The other thing you will definitely need is some sort decent printer, or maybe a multifunction unit.

I have a toshiba. Its great but the apostrophe, full-stop and Delete keys have crapped out. Though thats probably more because I am always eating and drinking around it, as I am on study break so I pretty much eat my breakfast and lunch in front of the computer screen while studying, and I probably spilled something on it.

I have a toshiba. Its great but the apostrophe, full-stop and Delete keys have crapped out. Though thats probably more because I am always eating and drinking around it, as I am on study break so I pretty much eat my breakfast and lunch in front of the computer screen while studying, and I probably spilled something on it.

Yeah can get replacement keyboards, and they're usually easy to change. So look in to doing this before you throw it out :)

I recently got ridc of my acer. was good at the time but found it too lag alot with everything even when it was new. Now I have an HP andits the best thing out, its small, lightweight and It goes with me everyday to uni. its even smaller than my huge course books.

Also my partner has a toshiba which is good, very chunky though and he had problems with his internal wireless connection to begin with but after it being fixed then still not working and now renewed its working fine and he loves it.

yes,

Getting a desktop with the following specs

CPUIT8500 Intel Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz 6M 1333MHz 45nm

MEMSPT8284 SuperTalent DDR2 800 4GB w/ Heatsink

MBDGBM0103 GIGABYTE EP35-DS3 PRO LGA775 DDR2 PCI-E 7.1 AUDIO

GIGABYTE NX88T512HP 8800GT 512MB G92/D8P PCI-E 2.0 x16 XHD Ultra Durable 2 Range (ZALMAN FAN)

HDDSE1505 Seagate Barracuda 11 3.5 500GB SATA 7200RPM 32MB Cache

DVWAS2047 ASUS DRW-2014L1 PATA DVD writer LightScribe drive black w/ extra white panel CHACLM13015 Cooler Master Centurion 5 Pure Black Color w/ 460W PSU w/HD audio

Samsung 22" Wide 226BW 2ms DVI LCD Monitor Black RGB, DVI-D

No sure on laptop yet but will get something under $1000.

I just did a search on the 9600gt card and most say the 8800gt is a far better card.

All things being equal, you'll get better performance from the 8800gt at higher resolutions with the same drivers, but the 8800gt will cost you about $30 more to buy. BFG,keys, and some others ran a lot of tests in some other threads. One thing that I got out of those tests was that shaders are great when you have enough but that performance can really tail off quickly when you're running out of them. The vast majority of the benchmarks that were run by the various websites didn't stress the 64 sp's of the 9600gt enough to highlight its weakness. Depending on what games/resolutions you play now and in the future, you might or might not ever see a significant improvement by using the 8800gt over the 9600gt.

Looking at a number like "85-90%" makes you think that they are comparable cards. What they really are is more like even at lower resolutions, 10-15% advantage for 8800gt at middle res, and a BIG advantage for 8800gt at higher resolution.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From personal experience of cousins buying Dell.. NOT VERY GOOD!!

However in the Australian PC Authority magazine, Dell seem to fare pretty well.

So.. hope this muddles things up some more :roll: :lol: