Euthanasia

Jacko

Okay the whole flushing debate, couldn't we say the same for people with diseases or infections etc through their bodily waste? SURELY the sewage works treats the waste in a way that kills anything and everything in there.

I am not sure why but it is definitely not recommendable to flush fishes down the toilet. My guess is that human diseases, etc do not affect animals and other things in the eco-system around us - fish diseases, etc obviously do...

Regarding the how-to-kill-fish question: A while ago this has been suggested by Alan and I've been using his method successfully (when I sadly had to :cry:) ever since:

1. Take a sheet or two (or more depending on size) of kitchen roll.

2. Wrap the fish in it.

3. Step on the 'paper coffin' with your flat foot (ideally wearing shoes or similar). Can be repeated but the fish is usually dead after the first time - depends on size of the fish as well.

4. Dispose of the 'package' by throwing it in the rubbish bin.

This method is bullet-proof if you don't have tiny feet :wink:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought one of the venturi water changes off trademe but never used it to empty the fish tank down the kitchen sink as that idea does not appeal to me. The idea for filling is good because you can blend hot and cold to get what you want. I found the plastic thread was very fine and did not last too long so I made up a unit for filling with metal bits from a water filter supplier. It works good.

All water that is chlorinated will contain chloramines if it contains proteins, because the chlorine combines with the amines in the proteins before you can get free available chlorine. Only distilled water will be free of proteins.

Done that Caryl

All covered with water damage from broken aquariums.

Now I have strategically placed them around electrical equipment. :lol:

Just Kidding :roll:

now I have special note in my policy stating that I have aqariums :D

hey i asked about the chlorine problem and was told that chlorine is not immediately toxic and that adding the dechlorinater after is fine.

dunno if this helps

I cant use it anyway coz we dont have a mixer or a tap with thread on it, apart from the hose tap adn then i may as well just fill it with the hose.

:lol:

Fishboi

u need to have the tap running just to get the water out of the tank. looks to me like a very water wasting way to do a water change [ur be using double the amount of water] but it sure would be handy.
Actually, once you start the suction, you can turn the water off. :) I wouldn't trade mine for anything! :wink:

To get chlorine out of the water then run the water through a shower head. As stated earlier chloramines needs to be removed by chemical means.

So places like the gold coast here only has chlorine in the water yet in brisbane they have both. Check with your water supplier on what is in the water.

hey i asked about the chlorine problem and was told that chlorine is not immediately toxic and that adding the dechlorinater after is fine.

May I ask who told you that?

Frenchy :D

As I mentioned earlier virtually all drinking water will contain proteins as they are present in bacteria, plant matter and other organic matter present in water. Unless you live in Israel and drink distilled water there will be proteins in your water. Proteins contain amino acids which react with chlorine to form monochloramine then more chlorine to form dichloramine, then more chlorine to form trichloramine. When all the amines and other chemicals that are present have reacted with the chlorine you can get free available chlorine (chlorine gas reacting with water to form hypochlorus acid.) So unless you have water completely free of protein (which is very unlikely) you will have chloramines in a chlorinated water supply. Monochloramine is what iritates your eyes in a swimming pool and can be fixed by adding more chlorine until you have only trichloramine which is less irritating.

Alan if your correct why is that we dont have chloramine in Gold Coast water supply but we have Chlorine

If you like i have added a link where you might be able to work out that its not a combination of Chlorine and protein to make Chloramine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloramine

Now this has been pointed out to you before please take the time to at least have a read

Brad

I think you may be missing the point. What I was pointing out was that chloramine can be added to the water supply as a disinfectant and that site describes a way that it can be made from ammonia and HTH (80% free available chlorine) before being added to the water supply.

My point is that chlorine can also be added to the water supply as a disinfectant. It is a very strong oxidizing agent and will react with the amino acids in the water to form chloramines. It will also react with other compounds of nitrogen to form chloramines. The more that chlorine is added the more the balance will move towards the trichloramines. Your water supply may not have chloramines added directly for treatment but they will be formed because of the reaction of chlorine with organic matter. Some places prefer to use monochloramine because of some of the other componds formed from using chlorine. Hence my comment that chlorinated water supplies will contain chloramines. There endeth the lesson for today.

Alan I believe your missing the point

I know that can add either Chlorine or Chloramine at the water treatment plant

What im saying is that the water straight out of my tap does not contain Chloramine yet contains Chlorine

Is my water special because its different to what you believe is correct

I must agree that it would be very unusual not to have organic material in the water.

But all the research i have done into Chlorine and Chloramine has lead me to believe that Chloramine is a combination of Chlorine and Ammonia.

This was done awhile ago as I wanted to give my customers the best advice I could find, and when i dont know know i will research it.

Can you show me where you found your information about Chloramines please?

Brad

On the subject of flushing sick fish, I know this guy who works at the poo ponds in Albany who swears the ponds are full of enormous mutant mixbreed fish !

Seriously tho flushing is okay once the fish is dead, please make it quick and painless, as you would like it.

We are all creatures after all.