Euthanasia

Jacko

Tsarmina, that must be one of the cruelest ways I've seen yet.

Love to see you try that with HFF's giant goramy or J's arrowana, or a pacu or two from the NZ Aquarium, not of course forgetting a 300mm oscar.

The floor gets my vote every time.

Putting fish into chloromine filled water must surely also be a way of killing a fish

Alan 104

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

id like to see you throw a pacu/gourami/aro at the ground alan! :lol:

its not as easy to euthanaise fish for the people that keep fish over 20cm long or so, because they can be such large animals you really need something to put them to sleep first (like clove oil) and then do the deed.

I think most of the stories about fish in the ponds through being flushed down the loo are an urban myth as they would have a hard time getting intact to the ponds in most places because of all the pumps they would need to pass through. It is more likely that the fish have been released directly into the ponds. I know of one pond which had both trout and goldfish in it. The trout died after about a year but the goldfish survived OK. My fish die instantly by being bitten in half by a turtle.

This is what Gold Coast do to there water.

Water Treatment

Council operates water treatment plants at Mudgeeraba and Molendinar. Up to 285 million litres of drinking water a day can be produced from these plants but the amount produced each day, depends entirely on the current consumption.

Gold Coast Water’s treatment process involves a combination of coagulation, filtration and disinfection. A chemical called a coagulant is used to remove fine particles like clay, silt and algae by binding the particles into large clumps that can be removed by filtration. Filtration is the passage of water through a bed of fine particles (eg. sand and gravel), which removes fine suspended solids and larger microorganisms.

Disinfection is perhaps the most important treatment process. It inactivates microorganisms, rather than removing them. Chlorine is the disinfectant used most widely in Australia.

Chlorine breaks down over time, becoming less effective in disinfecting our water supply and so, to maintain chlorine at effective levels, it can be added at various points along the system of water mains and pipes. Water from Wivenhoe Dam is rechlorinated as it enters Gold Coast City at Beenleigh and again at Coomera. The pH, clarity and chlorine levels are monitored 24 hours a day at the entry point.

Water authorities worldwide add small amounts of chemicals to the water supply. Health and safety are the highest priorities with water quality and to make sure Gold Coast water is safe to drink the following treatments occur at our water treatment plants:

Chlorine The most commonly used disinfectant, is added to remove harmful bacteria and keep water free from water-borne diseases.

Lime (calcium oxide) and Caustic Soday (Sodium Hydroxide) Added to ensure the pH (how acidic or alkaline the water is), is neutral.

Aluminium Is present in water from natural leaching from soil and rocks in the catchment area. Aluminium sulphate is then added to remove sediments and make it clean and clear. It is then removed by filtration.

Potassium permangate, polymers, activated carbon. May be used in the water purification process under certain circumstances. The levels of all chemicals are controlled and do not exceed National Health and Medical Research (NHMRC) guidelines.

Other metals are found in the water supply in trace level concentrations. Metal levels are monitored as part of our regular testing program. Treated water from the treatment plants then flows to service reservoirs and elevated tanks throughout the metropolitan area and from these through a network of distribution pipes to the taps of the consumers.

Frenchy :D

Sorry me again, a good link

http://www.waterquality.crc.org.au/consumers/Consumersp9.htm

Chlorination

Chlorination is the most widely used disinfectant for drinking water in Australia. Its introduction a century ago removed the threat of cholera and typhoid from Australian cities.

It is cheap, easy to use, effective at low dose levels against a wide range of infectious microorganisms, and has a long history of safe use around the world.

Chlorine is a strongly oxidising chemical and may be added to water as chlorine gas or as a hypochlorite solution.

Chlorine’s main disadvantage is a tendency to react with naturally occurring dissolved organic matter to form chlorinated organic compounds.

The substances formed by the disinfectant reacting with the natural organic matter in the water are referred to as disinfection byproducts.

In the 1970s, as scientific instruments capable of measuring lower and lower concentrations of substances were developed, trace quantities of chloroform and other similar chemicals were identified as disinfection byproducts in chlorinated water supplies.

While the concentration of these disinfection byproducts is usually very low (a typical figure might be 0.1 part per million), some have been identified as potential carcinogens. As a precaution, many countries limit the allowable level of chlorinated disinfection byproducts in the water. The Australian Drinking Water Guidelines also suggest maximum values for a range of byproducts (for example, 0.25 part per million for chloroform-type compounds).

Studies have compared the health risk from microbiological contamination of drinking water with the potential chemical risk from chlorination byproducts. The conclusions so far are:

The risk of death from pathogens is at least 100 to 1000 times greater than the risk of cancer from disinfection byproducts.

The risk of illness from pathogens is at least 10,000 to one million times greater than the risk of cancer from disinfection byproducts.

The Australian Drinking Water Guidelines encourage action by water authorities to reduce organic disinfection byproducts in water supplies but not in a way that would compromise the proper disinfection of the water.

The likelihood of such byproducts forming can be greatly reduced by treating the water to lower levels of dissolved organic matter before chlorine is added for disinfection purposes.

Some Australian examples of chlorinated water supplies are those of Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, Canberra, Hobart and Townsville.

Chloramination

Chloramines are produced when ammonia and chlorine are added to water together. They are less effective than chlorine in killing microorganisms because they are not as chemically active. However, chloramines maintain their disinfecting capability longer than chlorine and are ideal for very long distribution systems or for water supplies with long holding times in service reservoirs. For example, the disinfected water supplied to some Australian communities may travel through the distribution system for more than a week before use as drinking water from someone’s tap.

Chloramines also react less with dissolved organic matter in the water and so produce fewer disinfection byproducts.

Chloramination is a common disinfection system in Australia and many examples of its use can be found in regional Australia.

Frenchy :D

quickest way to kill a fish is to chop its head off with a nice sharp knife

I have had to do that :(:( with a couple of my fishies that were in really bad shape, after all efforts to save failed :(:(

But, they were small ones, I don't know what I'd do if a bigger one was in that situation.

Must ask my vet the next time I'm there just to see what they would suggest.

a quick dip into a pot of boiling water

Yep, agree Tsmarina wouldn't be me either! When my husband & I were together someone dropped off lobsters for us, called him & he said YOU have to cook them I'm going to be late! I screamed everytime I put one in and when he got home I told them if it happened again they'd rot (not nice either) because that was my first & last time cooking lobsters.