Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Euthanasia

Featured Replies

  • Replies 86
  • Views 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here - there's a shrub just by my back door that now has heaps of 'fish' fertiliser ............... LOL

Cheers

Jude

I used to use the freezer method (it was what the books recommended!) but with a little thinking and reading I now think it is totally wrong.

Last few times I slipped the fish into a produce bag and whacked it as hard as I could into the concrete. A few more whacks just to ease any fears, but it would be dead first go really.

Bag makes for easier disposal without seeing what a mess you created. I am not keen on killing things (hell, I feel guilty if I step on a snail), but I can handle this. It is very very quick.

Stella

(native fish)

i couldnt imagine anyone throwing an oscar sized fish onto the ground- good luck getting it even into a bag i say! no way id ever use the hitting method, its too violent for me- you wouldnt throw your cat on the ground to kill it would you?

you wouldnt throw your cat on the ground to kill it would you?

That is sooo true if its a fish like an oscar or sumthing you are so close to.

I usually just flush fish, but only once they are dead, i have never had to euthanise a fish so im not sure what i would do

Alcohol sounds good

Rogan

i bury ones im close to or are too big to throw in the bin but small ones normally get wrapped in tissues and go in the rubbish.

the hole i had to dig for the pacu i rescued was a bigun :lol: 57cm long not including tail at time of death, 7 years old. we made sure the whole was about 2 foot deep just incase the cats thought it would be funny to dig him up :-?

i wonder what people would do with aros etc?

Then again cats aren't fish, can't really compare apples with bananas. But if you had a fish the size of a cat, well that could be a different story ;)

Humans die quickly similarly, the brain thrown against the skull does the lethal damage.

Whenever we'd catch sprats for the cats at home, we'd kill them instantly by throwing them on the jetti with a lot of force, much better than most people that let them sit slowly dying in a bucket because they couldn't bring themselves to do it, that is more cruel undoubtedly.

I'm sure someone proved the whole 'blood crystalising' when freezing idea totally wrong, I think it's impossible for that to happen.

Clove oil sounds good, anaesthetic is always good :)

  • Author

I’m with Luke*, clove oil if proven, and seems its been suggested by the experts here sounds good to me. Hope I don’t have to use it but best to be prepared to reduce any suffering. :-?

When I said I flush them, I have only ever flush one semi alive fish (and I thought the chlorine would kill him instantly??) any others stayed in the tank till they passed away :cry: then got flushed if it wasn't close to rubbish day.

Would be interesting, but I'd say vets come across it very rarely because most people just let the fish die rather than try for vetinarian medicine or cure. I'll ask my brother in vet school though.

Flushing them does speed up death substantially mainly because of the cold and shock but could also be because of the chlorine. But if it hasn't been flushed in a while there may not be any chlorine in the water.

A good motto would be to treat our fish as we'd ourselves would like to be treated. I'm sure all of us would choose a quick death over a long agonising one.

On that note, how long does it take for chlorine to evaporate as I have run out of stress coat and my replacement has been delayed so won't arrive till Tuesday.

Anyway I moved a tank last night and wondering when I can put the fish back in? Has been nearly 24 hours?????

On that note, how long does it take for chlorine to evaporate as I have run out of stress coat and my replacement has been delayed so won't arrive till Tuesday.

i am pretty sure chlorine dont just evaporate u'll need to leave it in the sun or use some sort of carbon filter.

It does, and if it splashes around a bit when you put it in the bucket it should be gone almost right away. I almost never use a dechlorinator anymore and my fish are just as happy as can be.

lol continuing on the completly unrelated thread I use dechorinator in my 540 litre african tank in the lounge and do 50% water changes weekly its a pain in the butt to cart 200+ odd litres of water through the house up onto a chair to fill the tank up again..

I have seen these http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 837390.htm and heard about them before but always thought they chlorine would be a problem? Any opinions?

Chlorine dissapates out of the water with any gentle airation

Please people do not flush your fish

Even with a sudden change in temp and with chlorinated water death isnt instant and even so it might not kill diseases and parasites that might be on the fish

This is one of the most irresponsible ways to getting rid of fish that are no longer needed

It will only result with less fish being able to be imported in NZ whish will only hurt the industry

We have to prove to the people in power that fish keepers will responsibly

Brad

vets will do it for you and some will even come to your home to do it for you if you have large fish. i asked my vet and he said he just put something in the water (cant remember the name) like they use for putting animals down. this is how my oscar is going to go if i happen to have the time, i dont mind paying for a call out.

Please people do not flush your fish

note taken I will put them in the rubbish then :oops:

On that note I hope I don't have to be getting rid of any dead bodies from my fish tank for a long while :o

lol continuing on the completly unrelated thread I use dechorinator in my 540 litre african tank in the lounge and do 50% water changes weekly its a pain in the butt to cart 200+ odd litres of water through the house up onto a chair to fill the tank up again..

Wow that looks great I think I might invest in one, that just went straight onto my watchlist thanks very much!!! :D

I have seen these http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 837390.htm and heard about them before but always thought they chlorine would be a problem? Any opinions?

I've been using one of these for 3 years now, they are wonderful! :D I just slowly drip dechlorinator as I'm filling. Never had any problems.

Note: I don't know how the water treatment plants work there, but here (in the US) a lot of them use Chloramines which DO NOT evaporate out. I don't take chances, I treat all water!

Another note: I looked at http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pets-animals/Fish/Pumps-filters/auction-64837390.htm

They show the green one, but it states the ones being sold are the blue ones. The green ones are made much better, I've had to replace several parts on my blue one. I replaced the with parts from the green one, much better quality! :)

These are the blue one's http://www.thatpetplace.com/MainPro/Itemdy00.aspx?T1=F15EA%200504%200041

These are the green ones (much better made!) http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcat

So if you happen to find a green one for the price of a blue one then it would be a really good deal! :D

Either way that are worth the investment! :wink:

Okay the whole flushing debate, couldn't we say the same for people with diseases or infections etc through their bodily waste? SURELY the sewage works treats the waste in a way that kills anything and everything in there.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.